• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink - Intention to Prosecute

Status
Not open for further replies.

user4722

New Member
Joined
29 Jan 2025
Messages
1
Location
Brighton
Hi all,

I'd really appreciate your help on this matter.

I received the standard letter from Thameslink stating their intention to prosecute after I was caught only buying the necessary tickets to enter and exit the stations (closest stations to each point). I've done this c.15-20 times since 2022.

Stupidly, I panicked and lied to the officer, stating that my journey was in fact shorter than it was as initially I had assumed that I would be given a fixed penalty as well as my outstanding journey fee, and so tried to reduce this. Therefore, I my questions are:

- Should I confess that I initially lied to the officer out of panic?
- Do I admit to my previous offences?

Currently, I'm thinking the best approach is honesty - I'd tell the truth that I was shortening my fare and also reveal my actual journey, stating that I panicked when questioned. As the letter does not state previous journeys, I'll keep quiet unless they investigate - which unfortunately I think they will due to my previous act of deceit.

Thanks in advance for your help on this. To note, I don't think I realised the seriousness of my actions - definitely a lesson learnt.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,304
Hi all,

I'd really appreciate your help on this matter.

I received the standard letter from Thameslink stating their intention to prosecute after I was caught only buying the necessary tickets to enter and exit the stations (closest stations to each point). I've done this c.15-20 times since 2022.

Stupidly, I panicked and lied to the officer, stating that my journey was in fact shorter than it was as initially I had assumed that I would be given a fixed penalty as well as my outstanding journey fee, and so tried to reduce this. Therefore, I my questions are:

- Should I confess that I initially lied to the officer out of panic?
- Do I admit to my previous offences?

Currently, I'm thinking the best approach is honesty - I'd tell the truth that I was shortening my fare and also reveal my actual journey, stating that I panicked when questioned. As the letter does not state previous journeys, I'll keep quiet unless they investigate - which unfortunately I think they will due to my previous act of deceit.

Thanks in advance for your help on this. To note, I don't think I realised the seriousness of my actions - definitely a lesson learnt.
Hi and welcome - I think ref your question this approach at this stage would be appropriate:

Currently, I'm thinking the best approach is honesty - I'd tell the truth that I was shortening my fare and also reveal my actual journey, stating that I panicked when questioned. As the letter does not state previous journeys, I'll keep quiet unless they investigate
 

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi.

Maybe you could show us the letter please, minus your personal details and their reference number?

Thameslink will be used to people panicking and saying things that aren't true when they're stopped so I wouldn't worry about that. The important thing to do is to follow your honesty approach and pay the right fare from now on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top