Hi Railforums,
I received a letter from Thameslink stating their intention to prosecute after I was caught short faring, something which I deeply regret. It states that they ask the court to impose the maximum penalty. I was wondering what the likelihood of this happening is and how members advise I respond.
I have looked through several forums with information on how to respond and would greatly appreciate any advice regarding my draft response:
Dear Fare Evasion Manager,
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your letter dated xxxxx, reference number: xxxxx.
On xxxxx, I was stopped by a Revenue Protection Inspector at xxxxx station and was unable to produce a valid ticket for my travel.
I boarded the train that morning at xxxxx station, after taking the overground from xxxxx station, for which I used a contactless payment.
I did not realise that I had not purchased a ticket for the subsequent journey, until I was on the train to Gatwick. In that moment, I made the poor decision to buy a ticket for a shorter journey than the one I was actually taking. When the ticket didn’t scan properly, I was asked to step aside and provide my details.
I have no excuse for my actions. I recognise that what I did was unethical, and I deeply regret it. I fully understand the negative impact fare evasion has on the railway system, and this is not something I want to contribute to. I accept full responsibility and am genuinely sorry for my behaviour.
Since this incident, I have been absolutely certain to always purchase the correct ticket before boarding, and I will continue to do so moving forward.
I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter out of court. I wish to make amends by paying any fees deemed necessary, including the full fare and any administrative costs incurred.
Yours sincerely,
xxxxx
I received a letter from Thameslink stating their intention to prosecute after I was caught short faring, something which I deeply regret. It states that they ask the court to impose the maximum penalty. I was wondering what the likelihood of this happening is and how members advise I respond.
I have looked through several forums with information on how to respond and would greatly appreciate any advice regarding my draft response:
Dear Fare Evasion Manager,
Thank you for the opportunity to respond to your letter dated xxxxx, reference number: xxxxx.
On xxxxx, I was stopped by a Revenue Protection Inspector at xxxxx station and was unable to produce a valid ticket for my travel.
I boarded the train that morning at xxxxx station, after taking the overground from xxxxx station, for which I used a contactless payment.
I did not realise that I had not purchased a ticket for the subsequent journey, until I was on the train to Gatwick. In that moment, I made the poor decision to buy a ticket for a shorter journey than the one I was actually taking. When the ticket didn’t scan properly, I was asked to step aside and provide my details.
I have no excuse for my actions. I recognise that what I did was unethical, and I deeply regret it. I fully understand the negative impact fare evasion has on the railway system, and this is not something I want to contribute to. I accept full responsibility and am genuinely sorry for my behaviour.
Since this incident, I have been absolutely certain to always purchase the correct ticket before boarding, and I will continue to do so moving forward.
I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter out of court. I wish to make amends by paying any fees deemed necessary, including the full fare and any administrative costs incurred.
Yours sincerely,
xxxxx