• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink: expired Railcard and moving abroad soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsp_throw

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2025
Messages
7
Location
BN
Hi all,


Thanks for taking the time to read and help, if you're able. I was given a witness statement receipt yesterday on the train (Brighton to Farringdon, boarded at Brighton),
for not being able to present a Railcard for my discounted 26-30 ticket. I had not opened the Railcard app in some time due to infrequent travel,
and as a result my details were no longer stored when I tried to present my Railcard to the inspector. I thought I'd have to pay a penalty fare as a result,
but I was told that if I'm able to present a valid Railcard online, any penalty could be dropped. I accepted the proposition and stated that I do possess a valid Railcard, since I thought it was true.

However, when I was able to regain access to my Railcard account in the evening, I saw the Railcard I'd intended to show has expired.
This means I can't rightfully appeal, and that I've been using an expired Railcard since August 21st 2024, for a total of 18 trips at the wrong fare (total paid: £351.20).
I renew my Railcard annually since 2019 and believed that I had done so as usual, and would be able to prove it.
Obviously I haven't last year (negligence, followed by not needing to travel regularly, which further let me forget about it).
As a result, I didn't remove it on Trainline, where I kept buying my Travelcards (open returns, paper) for when I do travel.

In short, I made the mistake of letting my Railcard subscription fade to the background, and stopped paying attention.
And while Thameslink will not care about that particular sob story: this is an actual, known organisational problem I struggle with in multiple areas
(especially this last year, for a number of reasons: I am juggling a number of major life changes at the same time without support network,
and am left very frazzled, in a perpetual rush, and rather dysfunctional). I bought a Network Railcard as soon as I realised yesterday, since I'm no longer eligible to 26-30,
and automated annual reminders. I'm of course prepared to pay the amount I owe. They currently don't know about the expired Railcard,
the 18 trips (beyond yesterday's), etc. Only that I travelled yesterday on a 26-30 ticket without presenting a Railcard.


From my understanding through these forums, my best recourse would be to wait to be contacted. However, a few complicating factors:
  • I am moving abroad permanently end of January, for work. I'd like to let them know that I can't be contact by post, but rather email.
    Otherwise, if reliable postal services exist in my situation, this would greatly help.

  • They have entered my birth year wrong on the statement, making me 4 years younger. Certainly it could help avoid the "you weren't eligible for 26-30 this year anyway" part,
    but that will 100% come up and I'd like all my details to be correct to avoid escalation. They have my correct name, address, and DoB, except for that one wrong digit in it.

  • Worst one: I'd just paid my first ever penalty fare two days prior, due to arriving at Gatwick Airport a few days ago with my paper Travelcard for the day...
    and a dead phone, so I couldn't even attempt to show my Railcard to finally see it's expired and do something about it.

I always, always have a ticket with me, and should Thameslink investigate they will see 6 Railcards over the last 7 years, and Travelcard tickets for all my occasional travels (1-2 month, sometimes none for months).
But I've been struggling pretty badly with general overwhelm and practical forgetfulness (like charging my phone, etc.) as of late, which is now snowballing into situations like this one, otherwise easily avoided.


A few questions:
  • I'd like to get in touch with them ASAP, possibly even today, to let them know about the postal and birth year situations.
    I'm terrified of missing mail after moving abroad, and it escalating to courts because I couldn't reply.
    As I contact them about both: how much to disclose in a first email?

  • Once they send me a letter (or email, hopefully): how much is safe to disclose vs. likely to backfire even if shared in good faith?

  • Realistically, what is the most likely outcome based on the above? Is there any serious chance for prosecution rather than out-of-court settlement?

  • How likely are they to do a full investigation based on what they know?
    I think I'd feel better paying off the 18 trips and be done honestly, I don't want this to follow me for years.
    Especially from abroad. But I understand it's best not to over-disclose.
Beyond all that, yes, I am taking many necessary steps so I can be more organised in my life again, and regain focus.
I really don't want to play this sort of Russian roulette and deal with chaos like that.

Many thanks for reading this far. I must admit I'm rather scared, but I'm hoping I can make things right somehow. Any help is welcome.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,130
Out of curiosity, what is your age now. Given that you have renewed 26-30 railcards since 2019, surely you are of an age whereby you couldn’t have possibly thought your railcard was still valid?
 

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Could you show us the witness statement you were given please? That should help the advisers to help you.

Make sure you cover up your name, address and any reference numbers.
 

vsp_throw

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2025
Messages
7
Location
BN
Hi @John R , thanks. I've turned 33 this year. To be clear, I haven't been using 26-30 Railcards since 2019, that of course wouldn't track (and it didn't exist until 2019).

2018: 16-25, 2019 onwards: 26-30. My last 26-30 card expired in August last year, which is when I'd meant to switch to a Network Railcard instead, same discount.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

*I haven't been using 26-30 Railcards since 2018, that of course wouldn't track (and it didn't exist until 2019).

@notmyrealname Thank you. Attached.

[redacted until I hear back from my solicitors]
 
Last edited:

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,130
Ok, thx. If you are now 33 I would strongly advise you not to use the line in any correspondence that you didn’t realise that your 26-30 railcard had expired, as it is implausible that anyone would think that. And you don’t want the investigators to think that you are not telling the truth.
 

vsp_throw

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2025
Messages
7
Location
BN
This makes sense yes. By Railcard's own system, you are allowed to buy one until you're 31, which is how it expired last year, when I was 32 (I currently cannot buy or renew one anymore, for example). But yes, the problem is that I've just let it be there on Trainline and forgot to switch to Network Railcard. I understand what you mean however.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,313
Obviously people are asking you various questions which will help people give you good advice on your various questions

Firstly - don't do anything today - wait at least 24 hours to weigh up advice from here.

But to turn to the key initial thing you need to sort out - making sure you get what they will in due course wants to send you. Which in the case of Thameslink is typically done by post hard copy - and that's your problem if you are going abroad in January.

But to ask - if you go abroad do you have a trusted friend or relative in the UK whose address you could give on the basis that post could be sent to you c/o them, they could open post and scan it and e-mail it to you after you leave the UK? Is that a viable option?

Anyway -

I would send them a short letter (and e-mail as the one thing they say they do accept by e-mail is change of address details) that just addresses the matter of your address (and probably inaccurate date of birth). IK suggest you don't get into what happened, your mitigation / excuses etc at this stage.

So along the following lines:
They may then use e-mail (so keep an eye on it and spam) or they may just accelerate your case and write to you before you leave perhaps (no idea if that is likely tho).

--------------------------

Dear Sir/ Madam

Reference number (insert this from receipt slip you have)

I was stopped on x date at y location and questioned about the validity of my rail ticket. I enclose a copy of the document I was given (enclose / attach copy of your witness statement receipt )

Please note I am expecting to permanently leave the UK on x date, so I would be grateful if any follow up correspondence is sent to me by e-mail

My current postal address until x date is :

My new postal address as of x date is: (Abroad or if you have a trusted friend you could give them that as a c/o address maybe)

My e-mail address is:

Please can any correspondence be sent by e-mail as I am not certain that post sent to my address in X country will arrive swiftly and I am keen to resolve any issues promptly and co-operatively

Yours faithfully

-----------------------------------------

Assuming this is Thameslink the address you need is: (send it in the post to them second class tracked postage from a local post office - Tracked 48 I think) so you can prove you sent it if you ever need to do so. Keep copies of everything including the tracking slip the post office will give you - save the proof of delivery from the tracking log in.

Prosecutions Department,
Govia Thameslink Railway,
Eastside Offices,
Kings Cross Railway Station,
London N1C 4AX.


email (only usually for address changes): gtr.prosecutions@gtrailway.com

Further to this
You need to make a plan for post being forwarded after you leave your UK address in case your request to get stuff by e-mail does not happen, and put that into place a couple of weeks before you move
That means a Royal Mail redirection in my view:
see

Start it a bit before you leave so you can test it - post a letter to yourself using second class ordinary postage and see where that gets delivered to.

You can have redirections to abroad but they are expensive and probably slow / may not be reliable - so ideally if you have a trusted UK friend or relative that you can get the post redirected to that is probably better.

I'm afraid you will need this redirection for at least 6 months - because if for some reason things escalated to court that won't come by e-mail from the court - so you do need to be sure of getting that.

Obviously if things are all resolved and you secure an out of court settlement (very likely I suspect) then you may not need the re-direction - but in general a redirection for post is a good idea.
 
Last edited:

vsp_throw

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2025
Messages
7
Location
BN
@WesternLancer I appreciate the detailed answer, very helpful.

This already helps me solve the biggest practical issue: I should be able to setup a regular RM redirect (having this for 12 months was always going to be good regardless), together with a service like UK Postbox so I can easily handle correspondence from abroad, without having to ask for any special treatment from GTR. The net effect will be that they can keep using my current address transparently for the next 12 months. I'll only notify them I'm physically abroad if and when needed, and hopefully it won't come to that.

In that case I believe I should only have to send an email about the birth year error, yes?
In your knowledge, does something like this need to be sent by post as well, or will this email suffice?

----

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference number: [ref]

I was stopped on [date] at [location] and questioned about the validity of my rail ticket. I enclose a copy of the document I was given.

My correspondence address is correctly noted as [address].
Please note that my birth year was incorrectly recorded on the receipt: it states [wrong year], but it should be [correct year].

I am available at this email address () for digital correspondence, and am keen to resolve any issues promptly and co-operatively.

Yours faithfully,
[name]

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Edit: regardless of whether it's "needed", I do think it's good practice to have physical proof of having contacted them, so I'll do both.
Alright, that's my first question sorted.
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,313
@WesternLancer I appreciate the detailed answer, very helpful.

This already helps me solve the biggest practical issue: I should be able to setup a regular RM redirect (having this for 12 months was always going to be good regardless), together with a service like UK Postbox so I can easily handle correspondence from abroad, without having to ask for any special treatment from GTR. The net effect will be that they can keep using my current address transparently for the next 12 months. I'll only notify them I'm physically abroad if and when needed, and hopefully it won't come to that.

In that case I believe I should only have to send an email about the birth year error, yes?
In your knowledge, does something like this need to be sent by post as well, or will this email suffice?

----

Dear Sir/Madam

Reference number: [ref]

I was stopped on [date] at [location] and questioned about the validity of my rail ticket. I enclose a copy of the document I was given.

My correspondence address is correctly noted as [address].
Please note that my birth year was incorrectly recorded on the receipt: it states [wrong year], but it should be [correct year].

I am available at this email address () for digital correspondence, and am keen to resolve any issues promptly and co-operatively.

Yours faithfully,
[name]

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Edit: regardless of whether it's "needed", I do think it's good practice to have physical proof of having contacted them, so I'll do both.
Alright, that's my first question sorted.
Yes, if you think your address details are resolved to your satisfaction (and you have until you move to deal with that but some Thameslink cases do progress quite slowly from what we soo) that that is OK.

They probably only want your date of birth for ID confirmation purposes but I would think it's no bad thing to get them to have it correct so I would think that wording is OK

You are not getting into anything at this stage, not admitting to anything you may or may not have done, before they write to you with whatever they want to say (although odds on it will be their standard letter they send as you will have probably seen on many other threads I suspect) so I would think sending them that communication is fine.
 

vsp_throw

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2025
Messages
7
Location
BN
Understood. I'll wait to hear back from them and setup the postal services a bit before I leave then.
In the meantime, if anyone has insight on my other points, I'd be grateful. Thanks for your help.

not admitting to anything you may or may not have done

A note on tone: reading up on the topic, I see that it may be best to stay purely administrative at this stage, and avoid talking about solving issues that haven't been mentioned yet?
Being so dry in writing is unnatural to me, but I understand anything I say can backfire and become self-incriminating, so. I'm not sure what's most appropriate, or if it matters at all.

-----

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing regarding reference [ref], issued on [date] at [location].

The year of birth on the witness statement receipt is incorrect: it states [wrong year], but should be [correct year].
I would be grateful if you could note the correct year of birth.

My correspondence address remains: [address].
I can also be reached at this email address: .

Yours faithfully,
[Name]
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,293
This makes sense yes. By Railcard's own system, you are allowed to buy one until you're 31, which is how it expired last year, when I was 32.
Not quite. It's any time before your 31st birthday. (So it would have expired at some time, last year, before your 32nd birthday).
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,313
Understood. I'll wait to hear back from them and setup the postal services a bit before I leave then.
In the meantime, if anyone has insight on my other points, I'd be grateful. Thanks for your help.



A note on tone: reading up on the topic, I see that it may be best to stay purely administrative at this stage, and avoid talking about solving issues that haven't been mentioned yet?
Being so dry in writing is unnatural to me, but I understand anything I say can backfire and become self-incriminating, so. I'm not sure what's most appropriate, or if it matters at all.

-----

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing regarding reference [ref], issued on [date] at [location].

The year of birth on the witness statement receipt is incorrect: it states [wrong year], but should be [correct year].
I would be grateful if you could note the correct year of birth.

My correspondence address remains: [address].
I can also be reached at this email address: .

Yours faithfully,
[Name]
my view, as stated, is just keep this to the very basic admin stuff at this stage. leave them to contact you about other details in due course.

Others might of course suggest differently. It's always good to weigh up different views.
 
Last edited:

vsp_throw

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2025
Messages
7
Location
BN
@Mcr Warrior Yes this is what I meant by "until" you're 31. I took a shortcut in my wording: I'd been renewing during my birthday month for years, so it happened to coincides with immediate age change too. But "before" is a better and safer phrasing yes, in the sense that 31 isn't included.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Edit: This caused me quite a fright so I went to double check the purchase date: I bought my last 26-30 Railcard a few weeks before my 31st birthday. The activation date (in my case, a few days after my birthday) is different from the purchase date, and only the latter counts. I was starting to panic about "was my last Railcard invalid?!", phew.
 
Last edited:

vsp_throw

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2025
Messages
7
Location
BN
1766407517446.png

Not sure why it wouldn't let me post with a table in the message, so I've screenshoted it instead.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

For anyone finding this later, I did my digging: Trainline sold me, for some reason, an "FB-restricted" ticket when I would've needed a "PB-restricted" one. A difference I didn't even know existed. The former isn't valid on Fridays, so I have no idea why Trainline would sell it to me, without clear warning, on a Friday. I'm rather puzzled as to why the fare system is as complex as it is.
 
Last edited:

janb

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2008
Messages
834
The PB at that time without a railcard was £30.90, and the FB was £25.50, so if you paid £20.35 with a railcard discount then it would seem you did have a PB...
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,567
Location
Hampshire
Slightly bizarre TOC spreadsheet line shown in post #14.

The Booked Date is in British/European date format DD/MM/YYYY whereas the travel date is shown in US date format MM/DD/YY.

That really could cause some serious confusion if the day was a number < 13
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top