• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW train shortages. What could have been done better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
It seems odd they use the few 175s available on Ebbw Vale and Cheltenham's yet we get a mixture of 150s and 153s on the Manchester-Carmarthen/Tenby/Milfords!

mods note - split from this thread:

I think the priority is simply ensuring that services are worked with the same number of carriages, as opposed to 'comfy rolling stock'. For example, if a 3 car 175 is unavailable, they'll put a 150+153 on it even if it's not as pleasant as a 158!

I must admit, despite TfW's many problems, I have been remarkably impressed by how many 158s have been used on Cardiff to Manchester services (one was also at Gloucester this week!). I wonder whether they're using 150+158 combos on the Cambrians (between Birmingham and Shrewsbury), just to release a few 158s for longer distance journeys?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tomuk

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
2,009
I think the priority is simply ensuring that services are worked with the same number of carriages, as opposed to 'comfy rolling stock'. For example, if a 3 car 175 is unavailable, they'll put a 150+153 on it even if it's not as pleasant as a 158!

I must admit, despite TfW's many problems, I have been remarkably impressed by how many 158s have been used on Cardiff to Manchester services (one was also at Gloucester this week!). I wonder whether they're using 150+158 combos on the Cambrians (between Birmingham and Shrewsbury), just to release a few 158s for longer distance journeys?
Why is removing 158s from the Cambrian forcing a change on passengers at Shrewsbury something to be impressed by? It really beggars belief some of the posts in this thread over the admiration TfW is held in for struggling through the shortage of 175s when the issue is all due to their poor management of maintenance and the transition to 197s.
 

DLAYKEGER

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2023
Messages
120
Location
Heswall
I think the priority is simply ensuring that services are worked with the same number of carriages, as opposed to 'comfy rolling stock'. For example, if a 3 car 175 is unavailable, they'll put a 150+153 on it even if it's not as pleasant as a 158!

I must admit, despite TfW's many problems, I have been remarkably impressed by how many 158s have been used on Cardiff to Manchester services (one was also at Gloucester this week!). I wonder whether they're using 150+158 combos on the Cambrians (between Birmingham and Shrewsbury), just to release a few 158s for longer distance journeys?
When some lines are not getting trains and others had none for a month and then get refurbished 35 year old D stock, complaining of number of carriaiges out of cardiff or other individuals bragging I would wait 10mins for a 3 car train instead of getting on a packed class 150 suggests South Wales getting treated differently to North Wales and the borders
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,331
Location
Swansea
Why is removing 158s from the Cambrian forcing a change on passengers at Shrewsbury something to be impressed by? It really beggars belief some of the posts in this thread over the admiration TfW is held in for struggling through the shortage of 175s when the issue is all due to their poor management of maintenance and the transition to 197s.

When some lines are not getting trains and others had none for a month and then get refurbished 35 year old D stock, complaining of number of carriaiges out of cardiff or other individuals bragging I would wait 10mins for a 3 car train instead of getting on a packed class 150 suggests South Wales getting treated differently to North Wales and the borders

Indeed.

I appreciate it seems a bit precious complaining about 150s when there is no service on the lines the 150s come from, but it just underlines the point that this is all TfW fault for not arranging a suitable transition arrangement. Yet still people justify units going off lease or the decision not to maintain the 175s in their usual way.

I also do not applaud TfW putting 175s on stoppers to Cheltenham, that is a route which actually can take 150s.

Finally, I would love to know where these 3 car units replacing 3 car 175s on the Marches are. I have never seen one as a regular user of the line. Indeed if there were some 3 cars running around (presumably 150+153) then I would actually advocate taking the 153 off and giving other lines their service back rather than running as 3 car (I remain convinced there are not any 3 cars used on Marches services for anything other than positioning moves).

It is good to hear of more 175s coming back into service. Let's see how long they stay in service.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
Why is removing 158s from the Cambrian forcing a change on passengers at Shrewsbury something to be impressed by? It really beggars belief some of the posts in this thread over the admiration TfW is held in for struggling through the shortage of 175s when the issue is all due to their poor management of maintenance and the transition to 197s.
Because 158s are much more suitable stock for.the Marches than 150 or 153s. The only reason the 158 are tied to the Cambrian is because of the signalling equipment on them. Id rather them doubled up as 4 cars on the Marches instead of the 175s if I'm honest. But clearly can't happen as they are needed on the Cambrian.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

When some lines are not getting trains and others had none for a month and then get refurbished 35 year old D stock, complaining of number of carriaiges out of cardiff or other individuals bragging I would wait 10mins for a 3 car train instead of getting on a packed class 150 suggests South Wales getting treated differently to North Wales and the borders
How is that bragging? It makes sense to me if not in a rush to wait 10 minutes longer and not get on an overcrowded train if you know there is going to be a longer train that isn't so busy.
 

tomuk

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
2,009
Because 158s are much more suitable stock for.the Marches than 150 or 153s. The only reason the 158 are tied to the Cambrian is because of the signalling equipment on them. Id rather them doubled up as 4 cars on the Marches instead of the 175s if I'm honest. But clearly can't happen as they are needed on the Cambrian.
Pwllheli to Birmingham International is nearly 170 miles the same as Cardiff to Manchester, from Aberystwyth it is still 130miles. The Cambrian isn't some local service suitable for 150s. In reality due to the ETCS they can't run through so instead the 175 shortage or any of the other previous stock shortages add one or two additional changes on a long distance trip from say Aberystwyth to London.
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,608
Location
Wales
then I would actually advocate taking the 153 off and giving other lines their service back
Not necessarily possible, the 153 may be a bogless one.

Pwllheli to Birmingham International is nearly 170 miles the same as Cardiff to Manchester
How many passengers on the Cambrian travel from end to end? Plenty travel the full journey from Cardiff to Manchester (leaving aside that the service probably started in Milford Haven in reality) but I'm willing to bet that if you were to do a ticket check out of Pwllheli, you wouldn't find a single passenger going to International.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,367
Location
Yorkshire
How many passengers on the Cambrian travel from end to end? Plenty travel the full journey from Cardiff to Manchester (leaving aside that the service probably started in Milford Haven in reality) but I'm willing to bet that if you were to do a ticket check out of Pwllheli, you wouldn't find a single passenger going to International.
I was going to ask the same thing. It's a good while since I used the route, but there was always a big turnover of passengers at Shrewsbury on trains from Aberystwyth. Many were heading northwards towards Manchester or Liverpool, as they'd be on the same connecting service as me towards Chester or Crewe.
 

DLAYKEGER

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2023
Messages
120
Location
Heswall
Not necessarily possible, the 153 may be a bogless one.


How many passengers on the Cambrian travel from end to end? Plenty travel the full journey from Cardiff to Manchester (leaving aside that the service probably started in Milford Haven in reality) but I'm willing to bet that if you were to do a ticket check out of Pwllheli, you wouldn't find a single passenger going to International.
Well 2hr + buses on the borderlands train has no WC so hardly compliant, Why not route long distance Cardiff Manchester passengers via Bristol Parkway or curtail at Crewe and avoid going into Manchester. At Crewe they can get on Avanti or Northern. At least the get to sit on a train not a bus that takes twice as long
 

Tom125

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2019
Messages
90
I would imagine a fair few people catch the train from the West Midlands straight through to the likes of Aberdyfi, Barmouth and Criccieth. I only guess this anecdotally though as a few times I’ve been coming home from Shrewsbury (during the spring/summer) to Aberdyfi and the train has arrived from Birmingham very busy for Aber and the coast.
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,608
Location
Wales
I would imagine a fair few people catch the train from the West Midlands straight through to the likes of Aberdyfi, Barmouth and Criccieth. I only guess this anecdotally though as a few times I’ve been coming home from Shrewsbury (during the spring/summer) to Aberdyfi and the train has arrived from Birmingham very busy for Aber and the coast.
Well yes. But the previous poster was trying to make a point by comparing the journey length of only the busiest part of a Marches service with the full length of the Cambrian. It's important to compare apples with apples. You can compare Cardiff to Manchester with Barmouth to New Street, or you can compare Pwllheli to International with Milford Haven to Manchester.
 

tomuk

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
2,009
Well yes. But the previous poster was trying to make a point by comparing the journey length of only the busiest part of a Marches service with the full length of the Cambrian. It's important to compare apples with apples. You can compare Cardiff to Manchester with Barmouth to New Street, or you can compare Pwllheli to International with Milford Haven to Manchester.
How many passengers make an end to end journey from Cardiff to Manchester? There is a great churn of passengers along the route at Shrewsbury, Hereford and Newport. On peak trains there were a surprisingly large number who would commute to Nantwich, a number of times I have stood from Picc and only got a seat after leaving there. The other issue people seem to forget is that the TfW service is the principal service into Birmingham for Shrewsbury and Telford passengers which is got to be a good 2 to 3 million that is a lot of passengers to disrupt with turnbacks at Wolves.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,331
Location
Swansea
It is pretty clear that everyone will argue for their favoured line. I think it says everything about numbers that TfW are planning 5 carriage trains from Swansea to Manchester once they have the 197s sorted. The MK4 are 5 carriages and there are also Cardiff to Holyhead/Liverpool to serve stations between Cardiff and Shrewsbury.

A key difference between the Shrewsbury to Manchester and Shrewsbury to Birmingham is that the latter has the new 196s running an alternative service. Shrewsbury to Manchester only has a substitute from Crewe. Cutting at Wolverhampton offers more options than cutting the Manchester at Crewe. Further the cost of changing at Crewe is almost 30 minutes (Assuming connecting from what would be the xx30 TfW due Manchester at xy15 to the xx46 Northern which seems to arrive at xy40), but I am sure that the cost of a Wolverhampton connection is not as long.

Ultimately arguing about which lines should be cut is something of a moot point though. TfW should be held accountable for allowing this to happen with poor maintenance and ill thought out transition to the new 197s.
 

DLAYKEGER

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2023
Messages
120
Location
Heswall
It is pretty clear that everyone will argue for their favoured line. I think it says everything about numbers that TfW are planning 5 carriage trains from Swansea to Manchester once they have the 197s sorted. The MK4 are 5 carriages and there are also Cardiff to Holyhead/Liverpool to serve stations between Cardiff and Shrewsbury.

A key difference between the Shrewsbury to Manchester and Shrewsbury to Birmingham is that the latter has the new 196s running an alternative service. Shrewsbury to Manchester only has a substitute from Crewe. Cutting at Wolverhampton offers more options than cutting the Manchester at Crewe. Further the cost of changing at Crewe is almost 30 minutes (Assuming connecting from what would be the xx30 TfW due Manchester at xy15 to the xx46 Northern which seems to arrive at xy40), but I am sure that the cost of a Wolverhampton connection is not as long.

Ultimately arguing about which lines should be cut is something of a moot point though. TfW should be held accountable for allowing this to happen with poor maintenance and ill thought out transition to the new 197s.
The Manchester travellers after Crewe have an alternative even if they have to wait. To put that into context, I have not been able to commute to work for 8am (not an unreasonable time I believe), since close of play on Friday 3rd March (or 35 days), likewise the Conwy Valley train is also off, I believe. And please don't claim 1 week of delayed / cancelled 35yr old refurbished D stock, that is timed so you can't even commute to either Liverpool or Wrexham by 9am is no good either, plus only putting buses to replace a 7:05am that arrives after 8am is not good enough either (as the bus takes double ( or more) the time. When you hear some services are getting 3 carriage trains by adding a 153, and other passengers are ok to wait 15mins for next train as they know is less busy is more than annoying. I feel if passengers don't have a reliable service they should be prioritised.
 

tomuk

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
2,009
It is pretty clear that everyone will argue for their favoured line. I think it says everything about numbers that TfW are planning 5 carriage trains from Swansea to Manchester once they have the 197s sorted. The MK4 are 5 carriages and there are also Cardiff to Holyhead/Liverpool to serve stations between Cardiff and Shrewsbury.

A key difference between the Shrewsbury to Manchester and Shrewsbury to Birmingham is that the latter has the new 196s running an alternative service. Shrewsbury to Manchester only has a substitute from Crewe. Cutting at Wolverhampton offers more options than cutting the Manchester at Crewe. Further the cost of changing at Crewe is almost 30 minutes (Assuming connecting from what would be the xx30 TfW due Manchester at xy15 to the xx46 Northern which seems to arrive at xy40), but I am sure that the cost of a Wolverhampton connection is not as long.

Ultimately arguing about which lines should be cut is something of a moot point though. TfW should be held accountable for allowing this to happen with poor maintenance and ill thought out transition to the new 197s.
TfW services between Aberystwyth and Birmingham Int have been four cars with some peak six car workings from Shrewsbury for years compared to two or three on the Marches. There is the alternative of the WMR stopper but is slower and runs very close to the TfW service so isn't a true 2tph.

I do however agree that TfW should held accountable for the 175 shortages.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Good gravy there feels like a lot of 'oh look at those lucky lot in the south while we get nothing in the north' kind of comments here. Ugh.

The person who suggested Cardiff to Manchester passengers should be rerouted to XC via Birmingham, well I won't say what originally came to mind but I will say that idea is the most foolish I've seen this week. More foolish than the proposal to reopen Dumfries to Stranraer!
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,608
Location
Wales
likewise the Conwy Valley train is also off, I believe
It ran Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday. Whether that means that it's permanently reinstated is another question. Chester-Liverpool is back on.

The person who suggested Cardiff to Manchester passengers should be rerouted to XC via Birmingham, well I won't say what originally came to mind but I will say that idea is the most foolish I've seen this week.
That's a considerable achievement considering the number of daft suggestions about. Whoever made it has clearly never used an XC Voyager.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Good gravy there feels like a lot of 'oh look at those lucky lot in the south while we get nothing in the north' kind of comments here. Ugh.
I'll swap our 197s for your 231s.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Agreed there, just the idea of filling already busy trains with sizeable amounts of passengers from Cardiff is just a crazy idea. I have to say that I had two Voyager journeys recently, both were actually really good. Only Birmingham to Derby on the first one and Sheffield to Birmingham later that day, felt weird being on a Voyager calling at Chesterfield!

As for swapping 197s and 231s, ooh that's a tough 'un. I'm not from South Wales, I'm over the border in Hereford, so I'm one of those who have to endure 150s while the north gets 197s.

Ooh I must slap myself on the wrist for that, complaining about the south getting a worse deal (currently) than the north!
 

DLAYKEGER

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2023
Messages
120
Location
Heswall
The Manchester travellers after Crewe have an alternative even if they have to wait. To put that into context, old refurbished D stock, that is timed so you can't even commute to either Liverpool or Wrexham by 9am is no good either, plus only putting buses to replace a 7:05am that arrives after 8am is not good enough either (as the bus takes double ( or more) the time. When you hear some services are getting 3 carriage trains by adding a 153, and other passengers are ok to wait 15mins for next train as they know is less busy is more than annoying. I feel if passengers don't have a reliable service they should be prioritise

Agreed there, just the idea of filling already busy trains with sizeable amounts of passengers from Cardiff is just a crazy idea. I have to say that I had two Voyager journeys recently, both were actually really good. Only Birmingham to Derby on the first one and Sheffield to Birmingham later that day, felt weird being on a Voyager calling at Chesterfield!

As for swapping 197s and 231s, ooh that's a tough 'un. I'm not from South Wales, I'm over the border in Hereford, so I'm one of those who have to endure 150s while the north gets 197s.

Ooh I must slap myself on the wrist for that, complaining about the south getting a worse deal (currently) than the north!
Sorry to here your enduring 150s that have been taken off our line. Why not suffer buses like us, that take twice the time for 35days and then as a sop after 31 days get refurbished 35 year old ex london underground stock that has during their first 4 days failed to run to timetable, when running just 6 of required 8 diagrams, These are running late, some of which have been so late which has meant services have been curtailed short or even cancelled. And that is just running a 2hrly service insted of hourly. Just because some 197 are running on certain routes in the North, it does not mean we are all getting a good service
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,331
Location
Swansea
The Manchester travellers after Crewe have an alternative even if they have to wait. To put that into context, I have not been able to commute to work for 8am (not an unreasonable time I believe), since close of play on Friday 3rd March (or 35 days), likewise the Conwy Valley train is also off, I believe. And please don't claim 1 week of delayed / cancelled 35yr old refurbished D stock, that is timed so you can't even commute to either Liverpool or Wrexham by 9am is no good either, plus only putting buses to replace a 7:05am that arrives after 8am is not good enough either (as the bus takes double ( or more) the time. When you hear some services are getting 3 carriage trains by adding a 153, and other passengers are ok to wait 15mins for next train as they know is less busy is more than annoying. I feel if passengers don't have a reliable service they should be prioritised.

I am not sure that I have claimed any of that. Indeed my posting consistently says that it is not acceptable that 150 are put onto the Manchester trains at the cost of other lines having no service at all.

I haven't personally seen a train gain a 153, either that I have travelled on or seen going the other way. However, that is not to say that some Marches trains to Manchester have not been afforded the extra 153.

The 150 that gets me from Swansea to Manchester is not suitable, but yes it is better than no train at all. Worth noting that many trains also disappear from the timetable and/or start short.

Again there can be little doubt where the blame for all of this lies and yet TfW seem to be being given a free pass while people argue over who should suffer.
 

andypops

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2011
Messages
169
Good gravy there feels like a lot of 'oh look at those lucky lot in the south while we get nothing in the north' kind of comments here. Ugh.

The person who suggested Cardiff to Manchester passengers should be rerouted to XC via Birmingham, well I won't say what originally came to mind but I will say that idea is the most foolish I've seen this week. More foolish than the proposal to reopen Dumfries to Stranraer!

It is pretty clear that everyone will argue for their favoured line.
[abridged]
Ultimately arguing about which lines should be cut is something of a moot point though. TfW should be held accountable for allowing this to happen with poor maintenance and ill thought out transition to the new 197s.


For the record, I would like to add that I absolutely agree with the observations of the two posters quoted. There have been some truly barmy suggestions over the last few days, but the suggestions by those playing “fantasy route planner” take the cake, biscuit and tin. Let’s have some context and try to be a bit more rational.

A cold splash of reality to start - nothing that’s posted here will change the situation for anyone, North / South / Borderlands / Marches / Valleys. The route planners in TFW Headquarters aren’t going to call any of us up for advice - and as cynical as I am about almost everything and especially how TfW (and previously ATW) usually manage services, I agree with Topo’s analysis that it’s obvious they’re trying their best to manage a tough situation and deliver the best compromise that helps the most people have the minimum inconvenience. It won’t be perfect but it should only be temporary; we may even be through the worst of it but the next few weeks will prove it.

Some posters are personally inconvenienced and your anger at the situation is understandable. However, personal feelings don’t add to the wider discussion and can cloud judgement - it’s hard to see the bigger picture when you’re focussing only on problems affecting yourself.

It’s right that TfW’s feet are held to the fire about whether this was foreseeable and how they’ve managed it, but the best time to do post-match analysis is (unsurprisingly) after the situation is resolved and stabilised. Changing horses mid-stream rarely leads to a better outcome, and even if we could change things (which it’s obvious, we can’t) there’s no guarantee it would be any better. It could even make things worse, when other factors we aren’t able to see are taken into account.

The first few pages were really informative and I have kept up with this forum for updates, but the last few pages have read overall as general complaints about (seemingly) everything TfW do (or don’t do), including their planning, maintenance and general performance. The original point of this thread is long forgotten. If the discussion continues between the last few posters, the thread will rapidly reach the point described in Godwin’s law.

Let’s bring it back to the OP topic - why there are shortages of 175, what’s known about the situation and when it will be resolved.

In terms of why, the potential underlying cause of changing maintenance regime from Alstom-managed to another provider is fascinating. I simply can’t understand how this was agreed without a robust change control process in place. Does it point to management systems failures (which would be nothing short of scandalous, as these always precede major accidents) or a simple cost-pressure or managed-retirement approach for the 175 fleet? Are there too few people in engineering management / planning who could advise on change control?

It’s surprising given the relatively short time since the 175 fleet were repainted to TfW colours that might consider running them down so quickly; I expected TfW might try to extend leases as they’re a micro fleet, not too old (compared to much of their fleet) and almost synonymous with the railway in Wales these days. I would have expected them to drop to lower-link reasonable distance services, like Maesteg, Cheltenham, Fishguard or Ebbw Vale instead of being made (potentially permanently) homeless.

Or - with my tin-foil hat firmly in place - is this all part of a deliberate negotiating strategy, where they systematically decrease the value of the asset (financially and in public / market perception) in order to improve re-negotiation leverage with the leasing company for a short-term extension? That would of course be hugely underhand and I’d be sure it isn’t the case, but I always like to present balanced thoughts!
 
Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,893
Location
South Wales
Tfw stated the 175s should be back.in service by middle of the month. Hopefully it happens as they are needed especially May. Tfw going to be hit by the 170s going to EMR. Personally I think it wasca mistake to have gotten rid of them and tfw should have spent the money to get them.cleared for the heart of Wales line
 

tomuk

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
2,009
In terms of why, the potential underlying cause of changing maintenance regime from Alstom-managed to another provider is fascinating. I simply can’t understand how this was agreed without a robust change control process in place. Does it point to management systems failures (which would be nothing short of scandalous, as these always precede major accidents) or a simple cost-pressure or managed-retirement approach for the 175 fleet? Are there too few people in engineering management / planning who could advise on change control?
Well it doesn't say much when the TfW COO in an interview to a trade publication states that one of their correcting actions is to send CAF pictures of what a clean 175 engine should look like. It's just embarrassing.
 

Philip

On Moderation
Joined
27 May 2007
Messages
3,734
Location
Manchester
Tfw stated the 175s should be back.in service by middle of the month. Hopefully it happens as they are needed especially May. Tfw going to be hit by the 170s going to EMR. Personally I think it wasca mistake to have gotten rid of them and tfw should have spent the money to get them.cleared for the heart of Wales line

The 197s will likely be starting on Manchester-South Wales during the Summer, so even if nearly a full fleet of 175s is needed for May, it'll probably only be for a month or two. Only about 9 175s needed to cover the non-LHCS diagrams on this route. Also it seems that some of the 170s will stay a bit longer to help cover the shortages.
 

DLAYKEGER

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2023
Messages
120
Location
Heswall
[abridged]



For the record, I would like to add that I absolutely agree with the observations of the two posters quoted. There have been some truly barmy suggestions over the last few days, but the suggestions by those playing “fantasy route planner” take the cake, biscuit and tin. Let’s have some context and try to be a bit more rational.

A cold splash of reality to start - nothing that’s posted here will change the situation for anyone, North / South / Borderlands / Marches / Valleys. The route planners in TFW Headquarters aren’t going to call any of us up for advice - and as cynical as I am about almost everything and especially how TfW (and previously ATW) usually manage services, I agree with Topo’s analysis that it’s obvious they’re trying their best to manage a tough situation and deliver the best compromise that helps the most people have the minimum inconvenience. It won’t be perfect but it should only be temporary; we may even be through the worst of it but the next few weeks will prove it.

Some posters are personally inconvenienced and your anger at the situation is understandable. However, personal feelings don’t add to the wider discussion and can cloud judgement - it’s hard to see the bigger picture when you’re focussing only on problems affecting yourself.

It’s right that TfW’s feet are held to the fire about whether this was foreseeable and how they’ve managed it, but the best time to do post-match analysis is (unsurprisingly) after the situation is resolved and stabilised. Changing horses mid-stream rarely leads to a better outcome, and even if we could change things (which it’s obvious, we can’t) there’s no guarantee it would be any better. It could even make things worse, when other factors we aren’t able to see are taken into account.

The first few pages were really informative and I have kept up with this forum for updates, but the last few pages have read overall as general complaints about (seemingly) everything TfW do (or don’t do), including their planning, maintenance and general performance. The original point of this thread is long forgotten. If the discussion continues between the last few posters, the thread will rapidly reach the point described in Godwin’s law.

Let’s bring it back to the OP topic - why there are shortages of 175, what’s known about the situation and when it will be resolved.

In terms of why, the potential underlying cause of changing maintenance regime from Alstom-managed to another provider is fascinating. I simply can’t understand how this was agreed without a robust change control process in place. Does it point to management systems failures (which would be nothing short of scandalous, as these always precede major accidents) or a simple cost-pressure or managed-retirement approach for the 175 fleet? Are there too few people in engineering management / planning who could advise on change control?

It’s surprising given the relatively short time since the 175 fleet were repainted to TfW colours that might consider running them down so quickly; I expected TfW might try to extend leases as they’re a micro fleet, not too old (compared to much of their fleet) and almost synonymous with the railway in Wales these days. I would have expected them to drop to lower-link reasonable distance services, like Maesteg, Cheltenham, Fishguard or Ebbw Vale instead of being made (potentially permanently) homeless.

Or - with my tin-foil hat firmly in place - is this all part of a deliberate negotiating strategy, where they systematically decrease the value of the asset (financially and in public / market perception) in order to improve re-negotiation leverage with the leasing company for a short-term extension? That would of course be hugely underhand and I’d be sure it isn’t the case, but I always like to present balanced thoughts!
Sorry but if some psssengers have alternatives, say between Crewe and Mancester and other have the rug pulled beneath them with no trains to commute to School or Work, that should be taken into account by planners, not just numbers. You have to remember the planners (or is it senior management) have a track record of removing trains from North Wales for sports events in South Wales with liitle notice, or turning trains around so they run only on Welsh sectons of line. This has only stopped since the bad days of ATW with political and rail user group interventions. The planners seem to go for essy cuts and don't fully take into account social and geographical issues of specific lines. Plus are the planners responsible for planning replacement buses on parts of routes so they arrive an hour or more late, by not scheduling earlier buses to account for much longer journey times. Also failing to publish replacement bus timetables seems like poor planning
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Sorry to here your enduring 150s that have been taken off our line. Why not suffer buses like us, that take twice the time for 35days and then as a sop after 31 days get refurbished 35 year old ex london underground stock that has during their first 4 days failed to run to timetable, when running just 6 of required 8 diagrams, These are running late, some of which have been so late which has meant services have been curtailed short or even cancelled. And that is just running a 2hrly service insted of hourly. Just because some 197 are running on certain routes in the North, it does not mean we are all getting a good service

Clearly my post was taken way more seriously than it should have been! My final comment was meant to be light hearted, apologies if I didn't word it quite right to reflect that!

I am jealous of those who get to enjoy the 197s presently, I will say that much. I definitely don't envy the situation with the rail replacement buses, here's hoping that all ends soon and that employers in the area are being flexible in this situation :)

@andypops An excellent post, and yes I want to keep up with the latest on the 175s too. They are fantastic trains, when they work of course, and I have to agree that it would be better if they could get used on other routes when the 197s take over more fully. Cardiff to Cheltenham would suit them well, plenty of opportunity for them to stretch their legs and a massive passenger environment upgrade.

Anyway, that's enough from me speculating and so on, no further comment on that or the situation in North Wales :)

Well it doesn't say much when the TfW COO in an interview to a trade publication states that one of their correcting actions is to send CAF pictures of what a clean 175 engine should look like. It's just embarrassing.

That does sound childish. I do hope this whole situation is noted by others in a 'here's not what to do' sort of outcome.

More 175s coming back out to play is welcoming, and I may actually feel confident in a suitable train turning up again soon. I have plenty of stuff I want to do in South Wales, but perhaps unsurprisingly sitting on a cold 150 with no heating and windows needing to be taped shut doesn't appeal! No I'm not bitter about that whatsoever!
 

170UTD

Member
Joined
14 Mar 2022
Messages
284
Location
Lincolnshire
The 197s will likely be starting on Manchester-South Wales during the Summer, so even if nearly a full fleet of 175s is needed for May, it'll probably only be for a month or two. Only about 9 175s needed to cover the non-LHCS diagrams on this route. Also it seems that some of the 170s will stay a bit longer to help cover the shortages.
3 170s are staying until November
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
Why is removing 158s from the Cambrian forcing a change on passengers at Shrewsbury something to be impressed by? It really beggars belief some of the posts in this thread over the admiration TfW is held in for struggling through the shortage of 175s when the issue is all due to their poor management of maintenance and the transition to 197s.
A bit extreme. The 175s have long had issues even before TfW's days and as for the Cambrian many units are swapped at Shrewsbury all the time!
When some lines are not getting trains and others had none for a month and then get refurbished 35 year old D stock, complaining of number of carriaiges out of cardiff or other individuals bragging I would wait 10mins for a 3 car train instead of getting on a packed class 150 suggests South Wales getting treated differently to North Wales and the borders
Cardiff wasn't in particular.

I also do not applaud TfW putting 175s on stoppers to Cheltenham, that is a route which actually can take 150s.
To be fair, 175s on Cheltenham services are exceptionally rare, even pre-firegate!!
 

DLAYKEGER

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2023
Messages
120
Location
Heswall
A bit extreme. The 175s have long had issues even before TfW's days and as for the Cambrian many units are swapped at Shrewsbury all the time!

Cardiff wasn't in particular.


To be fair, 175s on Cheltenham services are exceptionally rare, even pre-firegate!!




So what if your comment was not specific to Cardiff, you are getting substantially better services on lines down there generally. Maybe youn can try not being able to commute to school or work for 31 days, then get class 230s for just 4 days that run late or are cancelled due to 40+ min delays. They then don't then run between Good Friday to Easter Sunday. Then on their first day back today, it is 20mins late starting and 48min late at the destination, then taken out of service for the rest of the day, having run half a diagram. I can only hope 175 return soon so we can once again have our 150s back, that some contributers are now enduring south of Shrewsbury
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,998
So what if your comment was not specific to Cardiff, you are getting substantially better services on lines down there generally. Maybe youn can try not being able to commute to school or work for 31 days, then get class 230s for just 4 days that run late or are cancelled due to 40+ min delays. They then don't then run between Good Friday to Easter Sunday. Then on their first day back today, it is 20mins late starting and 48min late at the destination, then taken out of service for the rest of the day, having run half a diagram. I can only hope 175 return soon so we can once again have our 150s back, that some contributers are now enduring south of Shrewsbury
Well, the Rhymney Valley suffered the 769s, Newport-Crosskeys has been suspended almost as much as it has run due to lack of traincrew and/or trains and Treherbert will have no trains for months due to engineering work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top