• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW Class 67+Mk4 sets: trip planning/experiences, diagram updates etc

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,333
Location
Neath
I had a fantastic trip to Manchester in First Class yesterday morning. The breakfast was delicious once again and it was lovely to have plenty of space. There were quite a few in First Class this time. Indeed I was the last table to be served my complimentary drink about 45 minutes into the journey. The customer host did apologise for the delay and said it had been busy in the kitchen. Not sure if they have cut down on the snacks and drinks but I wasnt offered a second drink this time, but i did ask for an orange juice and it was no issue. I heard the customer host saying that sometimes they get 2 people in First Class, sometimes 22. Its very much all or nothing. Yesterday there was quite a few and they were very busy.

Unfortunately my train home today was short formed - 1530 from Manchester. First short form on the route in a few days I think. It wasnt as busy as I expected and i got a seat and it coped very well from Shrewsbury. I see the reason for the short form was the up journey being cancelled at Cwmbran and fortunately a 197 was found to do Crewe-Manchester and then the return journey. The attachment was made at Cardiff to ensure the correct number of sets at Carmarthen overnight.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,197
I had a fantastic trip to Manchester in First Class yesterday morning. The breakfast was delicious once again and it was lovely to have plenty of space. There were quite a few in First Class this time. Indeed I was the last table to be served my complimentary drink about 45 minutes into the journey. The customer host did apologise for the delay and said it had been busy in the kitchen. Not sure if they have cut down on the snacks and drinks but I wasnt offered a second drink this time, but i did ask for an orange juice and it was no issue. I heard the customer host saying that sometimes they get 2 people in First Class, sometimes 22. Its very much all or nothing. Yesterday there was quite a few and they were very busy.

Unfortunately my train home today was short formed - 1530 from Manchester. First short form on the route in a few days I think. It wasnt as busy as I expected and i got a seat and it coped very well from Shrewsbury. I see the reason for the short form was the up journey being cancelled at Cwmbran and fortunately a 197 was found to do Crewe-Manchester and then the return journey. The attachment was made at Cardiff to ensure the correct number of sets at Carmarthen overnight.
Good to hear it was mostly a positive experience!!

The 5 car 197 inbound for the 15:30 failed at Pontypool and was cancelled there with the Mk4 behind calling to pick up the passengers so a 3 car was taken from Chester to pick up the diagram.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,333
Location
Neath
Good to hear it was mostly a positive experience!!

The 5 car 197 inbound for the 15:30 failed at Pontypool and was cancelled there with the Mk4 behind calling to pick up the passengers so a 3 car was taken from Chester to pick up the diagram.
It was an excellent experience once again. The only small criticism i could make was I wasnt offered a second free drink, but when I asked the customer host he brought it straight away. I think they were just very busy. There were 2 of them but one was mostly delivering orders to standard class passengers that had ordered the at-seat catering I think.

Thanks for explaining re the inbound 1530. It was lucky a spare set could be found at Chester to take over. To be honest I didnt even bother checking RTT as assumed all were going to be 5 car. Quite surprised to see a 3 car when i got to the platform and I got a seat despite getting on about 5 minutes before departure. I noticed later on when checking RTT that the 1330 was delayed and cancelled part way as well. And the 1630 started at Wilmslow due to the disruption, so very glad I went for the 1530 in the end.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,319
Location
Swansea
Did first class on 1W11 this morning. Not exactly busy, but definitely worth the £2 extra compared to the standard advance.

One other passenger joined at Pontypool and paid the £21 to upgrade. No one else in the carriage when I boarded. There were 6 in by Shrewsbury. Always get a few more between Crewe and Manchester, but there are no ticket checks so I don't know whether people just chance it. Two did try chancing it from Shrewsbury but were moved on.

Had 2 coffees, so it is not exactly Avanti, but ok for the price.

Standard class next week though as I need a flexible ticket.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,333
Location
Neath
Did first class on 1W11 this morning. Not exactly busy, but definitely worth the £2 extra compared to the standard advance.

One other passenger joined at Pontypool and paid the £21 to upgrade. No one else in the carriage when I boarded. There were 6 in by Shrewsbury. Always get a few more between Crewe and Manchester, but there are no ticket checks so I don't know whether people just chance it. Two did try chancing it from Shrewsbury but were moved on.

Had 2 coffees, so it is not exactly Avanti, but ok for the price.

Standard class next week though as I need a flexible ticket.
Two coffees is excellent for £2 extra. Though I suppose they set the advances quite low for 1W11 with it being so early in the morning. When I looked for last week for 1W55 I found a first class advance from Cardiff-Manchester for £75! Mind you the standard class advance was £70. I see little point charging this much for an advance given flexible return is less than double that. Only useful if someone is travelling one way. I did only look about a week before travel which could have bumped the price up. In the end by the time id factored in my return journey plus my Cardiff to Swanline return ticket it worked out cheaper to just buy a flexible ticket and pay the upgrade. Not by much but the added flexibility for the return journey was a bonus.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,319
Location
Swansea
1W11 on Thursday the advance fares are:

Pontypool to Manchester (Standard) £50.70 then £53.50
Pontypool to Manchester (First) £56.90

So maybe my £2 extra this monring was incorrect, but I paid £48.80.
 

aar0

Member
Joined
13 Sep 2016
Messages
618
@chrisjo

Hi.

Because i prefer the loco to be leading when i film it for my YouTube channel.

Dave
I wonder if you could have a separate thread for the requests, as it can get confusing trying to catch up with updates between your requests and their answers?
 

Welshguy1048

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2023
Messages
2,327
Location
North Wales
I wonder if you could have a separate thread for the requests, as it can get confusing trying to catch up with updates between your requests and their answers?
@aar0

Why....?

I don't need a separate thread - my requests are quite valid to be in this thread...

All you need to do is scroll to find the updates....it's not hard....

Dave
 

Turbo004

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2017
Messages
234
@aar0

Why....?

I don't need a separate thread - my requests are quite valid to be in this thread...

All you need to do is scroll to find the updates....it's not hard....

Dave
Like you@aar0 I wish there was a seperate thread for these enquiries. Like many other I'm not interested if the Loco is leading 1W96. I see an alert for this thread hoping for an interesting update but often find it is just about what is leading 1W96. I waste so much time over year reading what is leading 1W96. Please, please can we have a seperate thread for it. I understand your need Welshguy and a seperate for it would be great. I feel few if any others will be interested what leads 1W96 each night.
 
Joined
14 Jul 2024
Messages
92
Location
Wales
Like you@aar0 I wish there was a seperate thread for these enquiries. Like many other I'm not interested if the Loco is leading 1W96. I see an alert for this thread hoping for an interesting update but often find it is just about what is leading 1W96. I waste so much time over year reading what is leading 1W96. Please, please can we have a seperate thread for it. I understand your need Welshguy and a seperate for it would be great. I feel few if any others will be interested what leads 1W96 each night.
If they're on Facebook, the Class 67 group has the expected formation usually the day before.


e.g. for Friday just gone

D3 - 67010 Set HD06 (Loco CDF end)
(5W13 ECS 04.07 CDF CS - SWA 05.20)
1W13 05.43 Swansea - Manchester 10.13
1V39 10.30 Manchester - Cardiff 13.53
1W96 17.22 Cardiff - Holyhead 22.06

"Loco CDF end" so upon reversing at Chester, will be Holyhead end.

The requests in this thread do seem a bit repetitive, but nice to have this place to share such information with enthusiasts.
 

37052 xb mr

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2023
Messages
1,232
Location
Stockport
@aar0

Why....?

I don't need a separate thread - my requests are quite valid to be in this thread...

All you need to do is scroll to find the updates....it's not hard....

Dave
Carry on, this is the TFW 67 page !

This gen tread dried up because of the constant moaning about the 67s
& constant 197 talk.
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,079
The 06:30 from Manchester (67015 leading) sounded quite sweet going past Heaton Chapel this morning.
 

Welshguy1048

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2023
Messages
2,327
Location
North Wales
Good morning

Well - because i am doing nothing wrong - i will continue to post my queries.

To all the people who are complaining - if you don't like it - go and find another source for your Class 67 gen.

Dave
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,111
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
No 1W96 tomorrow night, V91 isnt running so the set will stay in Holyhead ready for Friday morning.
Thanks for the heads-up. I was planning to travel as far as Chester on it and then connect to Hebden Bridge. I'll have to take 1W63 to Manchester instead. At the moment 1W96 is still showing on RTT as running.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,197
Thanks for the heads-up. I was planning to travel as far as Chester on it and then connect to Hebden Bridge. I'll have to take 1W63 to Manchester instead. At the moment 1W96 is still showing on RTT as running.
Sorry wasnt the clearest post looking back! 1W96 will still run but will be a unit tomorrow night.

Unusually for now there will be a few unit vice Mk4s tomorrow, partly due to a set being stuck in Holyhead but also due to only 1 set in Cardiff tonight.

05:27 Holyhead to Cardiff
05:43 Swansea to Manchester
10:30 Manchester to Cardiff
10:53 Cardiff to Manchester
17:22 Cardiff to Holyhead
will be units tomorrow.
 
Last edited:

Top