• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW class 398 Stadler Citylink tram trains

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,008
So it's doable, over time, but not sounding particularly cheap!

All the photos I've seen of the class 399s (Sheffield tram trains) show a front with no yellow.

Though I can't really think what the down-side is to just sticking some yellow on the front.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

positron

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2022
Messages
731
Location
Cardiff
Yeah if it's a choice of a yellow vinyl sticker or spending lots of money then vinyl is fine. Just intriguing that someones probably messed up a bit somewhere.
 

MikePJ

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2015
Messages
1,016
When are these units due to do street running?
Not for quite a while - it'll be when the link between Cardiff Central and Callaghan Square opens, and that's currently at the design stage. There's probably 3+ years to fix the problem.
 

Chris125

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
3,272
Location
Isle of Wight
I saw something somewhere recently that was saying that the issue was that it isn’t currently possible to fit lights that comply with both rail and road regulations. The removal of yellow ends on rail vehicles is only allowed if extra-bright lights are used, but these presumably would dazzle drivers on the road, so until the rail regs can be updated to allow a lighting arrangement that also works on the road, they’re reverted to the older rules for rail vehicles that require a yellow panel.

That can't be right, surely? There's no yellow on the Stadler Tram-Trains in Sheffield and they operate both on-street and on national rail.


Supertram 399201 by Mike McNiven, on Flickr
 

wickham

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2021
Messages
709
Location
Knaphill
Can anyone kindly supply delivery dates for 398013/019/020/021 and are we still waiting for 398026 or has this arrived.
Thanks.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Can anyone kindly supply delivery dates for 398013/019/020/021 and are we still waiting for 398026 or has this arrived.
Thanks.
398013 arrived sometime in November 2021.

Can't help with the other units.
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,617
Location
Llanharan
Another Class 398 move tomorrow, RailAdventure 43s to go pick it up from Pengam Sidings.
398 move to Pengam:
RailAdventure 43s:
RailAdventure dragging the 398:
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Another Class 398 move tomorrow, RailAdventure 43s to go pick it up from Pengam Sidings.
398 move to Pengam:
RailAdventure 43s:
RailAdventure dragging the 398:
Then I presume onwards to Old Dalby after Kings Norton?
 

berneyarms

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
3,114
Location
Dublin
Think 017 is also at Old Dalby, but that 022 is at Taffs Well. Agree that makes five sets at Old Dalby.

You're right about set 017, I omitted that one but when did set 022 come back from Old Dalby - they both went there in February and I've seen no reports here of it returning.

Clearly with that many sets now back at Old Dalby (up to six sets), there are quite a few issues that need ironing out on the test track before the class can progress towards entering service.
 
Last edited:

alm37

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2020
Messages
154
Location
York
You're right about set 017, I omitted that one but when did set 022 come back from Old Dalby - they both went there in February and I've seen no reports here of it returning.

Clearly with that many sets now back at Old Dalby (up to six sets), there are quite a few issues that need ironing out on the test track before the class can progress towards entering service.
Sightings reported elsewhere suggest 022 went to Old Dalby on 26 February and returned on 25 April. Haven’t seen it myself to confirm though.
 

ExRes

Established Member
Joined
16 Dec 2012
Messages
8,452
Location
Back in Sussex
Sightings reported elsewhere suggest 022 went to Old Dalby on 26 February and returned on 25 April. Haven’t seen it myself to confirm though.

398022 was returned to Pengam on 25th April by 1155 7Q38 from Old Dalby, there are photos of the move on Flickr
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
You're right about set 017, I omitted that one but when did set 022 come back from Old Dalby - they both went there in February and I've seen no reports here of it returning.

Clearly with that many sets now back at Old Dalby (up to six sets), there are quite a few issues that need ironing out on the test track before the class can progress towards entering service.
I thought they were there to get mileage accumulation in, not because of issues with the sets?

You would think if they have work that requires doing, the work would be done at the Stadler depot of Taffs Well.
 
Joined
2 Oct 2024
Messages
27
Location
South Yorkshire
IIRC, the Sheffield ones can operate on either the tram-train (Cathedral to Rotherham) or the Supertram network, they cannot do both. Of the seven, I think four are for tram-train and three for Supertram, I don't know the current allocations. The reason is there are different bogies for the two systems (flange depth I think) so they have to lift them and change the bogies if they want to swap any around (IE accidents).
I don't know, but it's possible there are different light settings that are changed over in the workshop. The only bit of the tram-train that is street running is Commercial St to Cathedral and that's pedestrianised with a couple of road crossings.
 

berneyarms

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
3,114
Location
Dublin
398022 was returned to Pengam on 25th April by 1155 7Q38 from Old Dalby, there are photos of the move on Flickr
Thanks for that clarification.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I thought they were there to get mileage accumulation in, not because of issues with the sets?

You would think if they have work that requires doing, the work would be done at the Stadler depot of Taffs Well.
Fair enough - I thought that the normal mileage accumulation would be done on the live railway rather than the test track.

I had assumed that they were at Old Dalby to allow for testing post modification work, but I’m happy to be corrected.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Sightings reported elsewhere suggest 022 went to Old Dalby on 26 February and returned on 25 April. Haven’t seen it myself to confirm though.
I can confirm the following are at Old Dalby

398015/017/019/024/025
 

Defiance149

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2013
Messages
497
Understand a 398 was delivered to Taff's Well by road w/c 4th Aug, can anyone confirm the ID if so? 398030?
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Does anyone have an up to date list of the 398s that are now here in the uk, including Taffs Well and Old Dalby?
 

J663738

Member
Joined
20 May 2025
Messages
339
Other than a broken down 398 I saw at Merthyr Tydfil a few months ago, I haven't seen any of these out and about for testing.
There are plenty at Taffs Well depot, but they seem to just sit there.
Why would you spend all that money on rolling stock, pay interest on the capital expenditure and not try and get them into service as quick as possible?
 
Joined
22 Jun 2013
Messages
609
Other than a broken down 398 I saw at Merthyr Tydfil a few months ago, I haven't seen any of these out and about for testing.
There are plenty at Taffs Well depot, but they seem to just sit there.
Why would you spend all that money on rolling stock, pay interest on the capital expenditure and not try and get them into service as quick as possible?
Not quite as bad as the 701s but still does seem like a waste of resources. TfW don't choose to share much with the public so we can only speculate. There are several 398s at Old Dalby for post modification testing I read on here, not sure what those mods were.
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,998
Not quite as bad as the 701s but still does seem like a waste of resources. TfW don't choose to share much with the public so we can only speculate. There are several 398s at Old Dalby for post modification testing I read on here, not sure what those mods were.
Hopefully TfW aren't paying lease charges if they're not usable in passenger service. I might ask my MS to ask the Transport Minister.
 

Top