• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 'Buy before you board' posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,287
These posters appear to be all over the TfW network. I'm on the Cambrian and I'm wondering how these are not in breach of some regulation or other. How can it be 'the law' at (for example) Penrhyndeudraeth where I snapped this shot? It is unstaffed with no TVM.

I presume the rule still applies that with no facility to buy before travel, a full range of fares can be obtained on board (and yes, I am aware that TfW crew are not doing commercial duties due to Covid 19), or at the first opportunity (interchange with more than the minimum connection time etc.)?

Sorry - couldn't get the image to rotate!


View attachment 99277

In a coincidence, I took a picture of the same poster at Conwy station yesterday, another unstaffed station with no TVM. Do they not think before putting these things up?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Envoy

Established Member
Joined
29 Aug 2014
Messages
3,151
Why do they presume that everybody goes around with a mobile phone? (I usually do not carry my mobile phone - especially in summer when I don’t have a pocket for it).
 

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,287
Why do they presume that everybody goes around with a mobile phone? (I usually do not carry my mobile phone - especially in summer when I don’t have a pocket for it).

Well that's easy to answer - they know that the vast majority of people do. Until this week I had never bought a ticket on a phone, hugely preferring a ticket office or where that's unavailable a ticket machine. If TFW weren't "forcing" me via pricing to use their m-ticket app I would still have never used my phone for a ticket.
 

Dr Day

Member
Joined
16 Oct 2018
Messages
760
Location
Bristol
TfW are probably simply:
1) Trying to save marketing budget with single poster that covers off all their stations, both rural and urban
2) Trying to encourage as many people who want to buy tickets to buy in advance of travel
3) Trying to encourage a shift towards lower-cost (for them) forms of ticketing
4) Trying to move away from the culture of 'pay on board/pay when challenged' without the formalities and costs of a Penalty Fare scheme
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,606
Reminds me of when Arriva Trains Wales put up similar posters on the South Wales Valleys stations a few years ago, well before most of them had a TVM (and they certainly aren't manned stations). When questioned on Twitter they couldn't seem to answer why they had put up the posters at stations they do not offer ticket buying facilities at.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same staff involved now as it was then to be honest!
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,606
then they seem perfectly reasonable.
Except they don't seem reasonable at all as you do not have to use your phone.
If the posters were a little more polite, and suggested that if you wanted to make life a bit easier then you could use your phone, then I'd have no issue with them.
But as they are suggesting that you have to use your phone if there's no other option at the station - TfW are essentially lying to passengers with that.
 

RPI

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2010
Messages
3,359
Are TfW now the only TOC not doing onboard checks?
 

Blinkbonny

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2018
Messages
410
I'm just back from a South Wales Rover and never had an onboard ticket check all week.

Even when the guard came through asking for Request Stops he wasn't looking at tickets.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top