Is James Price serious? He is living in a fantasy world? He is going to train up station staff to get a PSV licence and give them all buses. And this guy is on silly money to come up with ideas like this. It's no wonder Welsh Transport is a laughing stock when this guy is in charge.
If you're going to commandeer a bus (and I wonder how the passengers who were going to catch that bus would feel about it) wouldn't it come with a driver anyway?
Interesting that there is no commitment for TFW to start adding emergency rail replacement buses to journey planners as Cross Country and some other TOCs do. The amount of emergency buses that TFW Cardiff request that station staff don't even know about is laughable. Staff in Cardiff don't care for anyone outside of the offices, as long as they are happy, that is all that matters. There's been signs up in Chester all of last week saying 'Buses replace trains between Chester and Liverpool/Manchester until Friday' and then come Saturday it changed to 'this weekend'. It was a week long block and why say buses replace trains to Liverpool when Merseyrail was running perfectly fine and similarly Northern was running perfectly fine via Mid Cheshire and running between Warrington and Manchester Victoria. Cardiff staff don't have a clue what is going on in the world and their inability to properly inform customer is laughable.
It does seem to me that there is considerable scope for TfW to improve information provision, and (from where I am) no sign of interest in doing anything about it.
They have a real time status display on their web site that will happily show a line as running without problems when the real time departure boards are a sea of red delayed and cancelled trains. I'm pretty sure I could do better given access to the right API.
They have replaced evening trains on the City line with ticket arrangement on Cardiff Bus but are unable or unwilling to give any information to passengers or their station staff on what routes and bus stops to use, preferring just to give a URL for the Cardiff Bus web site. Even though this is a long term (over a year) arrangement. Or maybe it's permanent?
Information on Journeycheck is often nonsensical (e.g. where a station is closed due to platform problems saying that the line is blocked, even though trains all pass through without calling).
I'm sure it's not easy to provide information during disruption, but they seem to fall down even when there's plenty of time to get a straight message across.
Could I do better if it were my responsibility? I don't know, but I'd be disappointed if I couldn't.