• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW ‘Active Travel’ Class 153 progress updates

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
Is there a list of the current diagrams that the AT units are supposed to be allocated to as it stands please?
While there's only a couple of sets and the Heart of Wales is closed beyond Llandrindod they're booked to be mostly in the North on Shrewsbury to Crewe and Llandrindod workings to try and minimise 150s in the area, as @craigybagel says crew knowledge in the north is dwindling on them.

Once the line reopens fully and the New diagrams are in place they are booked to spread their wings to Crewe, Fishguard and Swanline alongside their Heart of Wales work.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

50002Superb

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2021
Messages
2,135
Location
Nottingham
While there's only a couple of sets and the Heart of Wales is closed beyond Llandrindod they're booked to be mostly in the North on Shrewsbury to Crewe and Llandrindod workings to try and minimise 150s in the area, as @craigybagel says crew knowledge in the north is dwindling on them.

Once the line reopens fully and the New diagrams are in place they are booked to spread their wings to Crewe, Fishguard and Swanline alongside their Heart of Wales work.
Noted thanks, it’s difficult to track them at the moment via RTT, I think due to the new AT numbering
 

47444

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2019
Messages
308
Pairings so far are:
AT02- 153528+153353
AT03- 153531+153303
AT04- 153552+153382

To come are (formations expected but may yet change before released)
AT01- 153507+153312
AT05- 153568+153327
AT06- 153572+153318

Spare vehicle- 153362
Am I right in thinking that these 13 class 153 cars will be (or may already be) the only 153s staying with TfW?
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
AT02 ran the 1543 Cardiff - Swansea (Swanline) on Friday. Was my first ride on one. Is that a regular diagram?
I managed to get an active travel set on this journey today (Id done a journey on Swanline to get 197035 and this was my return journey). It was very busy so sat on one of the 'side seats' by the bike area.

I was quite surprised to see this as for some reason I expected a 197. I totally forgot the Sprinters still have a few booked diagrams on Swanline!

It was 153552+153382 which I think was the same one I had on my first journey back in February.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
I wonder if at any point the allocations will show on RTT, even just as the 'AT' numbers.
It would be very useful if they did. I only noticed the number after I had got off the train and it was departing.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
I was quite surprised to see this as for some reason I expected a 197. I totally forgot the Sprinters still have a few booked diagrams on Swanline!
That one looks to continue into the new timetable too, a few booked 'AT's on the Swanline.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
That one looks to continue into the new timetable too, a few booked 'AT's on the Swanline.
Yeah I should have known it was booked a Sprinter but for some reason I totally forgot today lol

Out of interest which ones are booked for Sprinters from the new timetable? The 0827 from Swansea-Cardiff still?
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
Yeah I should have known it was booked a Sprinter but for some reason I totally forgot today lol

Out of interest which ones are booked for Sprinters from the new timetable? The 0827 from Swansea-Cardiff still?
The ones I can see that yes the 08:27 Swansea to Cardiff and 15:43 return is both the same pair of 153s, goes ECS to Swansea with a 150 for the Heart of Wales (the 150 will change to an AT unit before long), upto Cardiff on the 08:27 sits at Canton until the 15:43 then goes to Fishguard and back to Carmarthen for and spends the night there ready for Heart of Wales services next day.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
The ones I can see that yes the 08:27 Swansea to Cardiff and 15:43 return is both the same pair of 153s, goes ECS to Swansea with a 150 for the Heart of Wales (the 150 will change to an AT unit before long), upto Cardiff on the 08:27 sits at Canton until the 15:43 then goes to Fishguard and back to Carmarthen for and spends the night there ready for Heart of Wales services next day.
Thank you.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
Seen on 15/05/25 at St Georges Church UWC (just west of Cardiff) ecs LE to CF. (552+382)
2025_05150317_153552.JPG
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,617
Location
Llanharan
Just had my first experience with one of the new sets, formed of AT03 AND AT04 on 2B73 today (happened yesterday too). Both go on to form services to Llanelli and Fishguard later.

The seats are about as I expected from previous comments but are still bearable but the bike space is lovely and spacious. I do love the livery, too!
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,336
Location
Neath
Just had my first experience with one of the new sets, formed of AT03 AND AT04 on 2B73 today (happened yesterday too). Both go on to form services to Llanelli and Fishguard later.

The seats are about as I expected from previous comments but are still bearable but the bike space is lovely and spacious. I do love the livery, too!
I guess as now HOWL services in the South they are using one to run the evening Llanelli. Surprised they are bothering with that to be honest as it mainly exists so the set can run back ECS via the Swansea District Line I assume to keep train crew route knowledge up to date.

I love the livery too but wish they had done both units in each set the same. I know the other unit isnt an active travel carriage but it would have looked nice if the colours were the same I think.
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,617
Location
Llanharan
Surprised they are bothering with that to be honest as it mainly exists so the set can run back ECS via the Swansea District Line I assume to keep train crew route knowledge up to date.
Especially as 153s are now becoming a bit of a rarity with most of the fleet stood down at Landore!
 

animationmilo

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2011
Messages
870
When will the rest of the 153 sets be ready, it seems they will need them all working soon.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

What is the future for all the stored 153s at Landore
 
Last edited:

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
AT01 has now been formed up with 153507 as expected but is paired with 153362 so that's already not now the spare unit.

Unsure now of which of 153312 and 153318 at Landore will be part of AT06 and which will become spare.

Now fully formed are:
AT01- 153507+153362
AT02- 153528+153353
AT03- 153531+153303
AT04- 153552+153382

Still to come:
AT05- 153568+153327 (at ATC Crewe)
AT06- 153572+15331? (At Landore)
Spare- 15331? (At Landore)
 
Last edited:

Jacob Porrett

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2022
Messages
1,971
Location
Telford
AT01 has now been formed up with 153507 as expected but is paired with 153362 so that's already not now the spare unit.

Unsure now of which of 153312 and 153318 at Landore will be part of AT06 and which will become spare.

Now fully formed are:
AT01- 153507+153362
AT02- 153528+153353
AT03- 153531+153303
AT04- 153552+153382

Still to come:
AT05- 153568+153327 (at ATC Crewe)
AT06- 153572+15331? (At Landore)
Spare- 15331? (At Landore)
Those 153s have been at Crewe depot for ages now. 153327 is outside of the wheel lathe on the south side of the late building.
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
Those 153s have been at Crewe depot for ages now. 153327 is outside of the wheel lathe on the south side of the late building.
Yes, 327 has been there since April 3rd. What was 968 when it arrived arrived late last year I believe. They do seem to be taking a very long time
 

Vut

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2021
Messages
10
Location
Bow
Tonights (4-June) 15.43 Cardiff-Swansea was AT01 formed as 153362 & 153507.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
Complete with lack of hand drying equipment in the toilet of 507. Unless the hand-dryer is hidden the only thing I saw was the toilet paper.
 

tfw756rider

On Moderation
Joined
30 Nov 2024
Messages
1,997
Location
Wales (sometimes in England), thanks for replying!
Complete with lack of hand drying equipment in the toilet of 507. Unless the hand-dryer is hidden the only thing I saw was the toilet paper.
Should've been separate toilet paper and paper towel dispensers in that small toilet? Maybe the latter had run out?

The 150s and "normal" 153s etc. that used to have those small toilets didn't have electric hand dryers until as part of the accessible toilets that those units nowadays have.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
Should've been separate toilet paper and paper towel dispensers in that small toilet? Maybe the latter had run out?

The 150s and "normal" 153s etc. that used to have those small toilets didn't have electric hand dryers until as part of the accessible toilets that those units nowadays have.
No paper towel dispenser, only an empty toilet paper dispenser.

Unless it was well hidden.

(Although I prefer proper paper towels over hand dryers because in my experience most hand dryers on trains are hopeless)
 

sd0733

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2012
Messages
5,198
Another Active travel unit has been released from Landore. 153318+153572 have been formed into AT05 (not 06 as expected, not sure why the original sequence of the /5s vehicle number hasnt stuck with this one) and run to Canton.
This just leaves the 2 at Crewe (327 and 568) and looking like 153312 is now the spare.
 
Last edited:

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,882
Another Active travel unit has been released from Landore. 153318+153572 have been formed into AT05 (not 06 as expected, not sure why the original sequence of the /5s vehicle number hasnt stuck with this one) and run to Canton.
This just leaves the 2 at Crewe (327 and 568) and looking like 153312 is now the spare.
It's disappointing that TfW haven't formed 153318 with 153568 to re-create 155318!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
It's disappointing that TfW haven't formed 153318 with 153568 to re-create 155318!

I recall a very long time ago reading, possibly on the old uk.railway newsgroup, a driver who often worked 153s in East Anglia stating that for some unknown reason they often went wrong when coupled up back in the original pair!
 

Top