• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tfl verification letter response

Status
Not open for further replies.

yh45

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2024
Messages
5
Location
london
I was stopped a couple days agos by a Tfl officer while using the staff nominee oyster card of my twin sister, which she left at home and I took to use as I didnt have enough money for my journey that day, I mentioned this to the officer but he said rather than using the oyster I could have asked one of the staff at the station for help which I understand now. He asked for my details when I was stopped which i gave to him and i received the letter a couple days later. I wanted help with drafting a response letter to tfl to help me avoid a tfl bylaw conviction.

To Whom It May Concern,

I acknowledge that I committed the offence. On that day, I used my twin sister [name] travel pass, which she had left at home, as I did not have sufficient funds to cover my journey. I now fully understand that this was wrong and constituted an abuse of the services provided by Transport for London (TfL) and assure that this will not happen again.

I deeply regret my actions and sincerely apologise for my behaviour. I have learned an important lesson and now understand that it is never acceptable to use a travel pass that was not assigned to me no matter the circumstances. Through discussions with the inspectors, I am also now aware that station staff can offer assistance if I find myself unable to afford my journey.

Once again, I apologise for my actions and am eager to take responsibility for this mistake. I am fully willing to settle any administrative costs or fines incurred to resolve this matter and avoid a criminal record.

Thank you for your understanding.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notmyrealname

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2023
Messages
502
Location
London
Hi.

Could you show us their letter please as it's helpful to know what they're saying you did. Cover up your name, address and their reference number/s for anonymity.
 

yh45

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2024
Messages
5
Location
london
Hello,this is an image of the letter
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 130

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,247
On that day, I used my twin sister [name] travel pass, which she had left at home, as I did not have sufficient funds to cover my journey.

You may wish to rephrase this because it may given an unintended impression to tfl.

Your phrase could be taken to mean that you sister deliberately left it at home for you to use because she knew that you didnt have sufficient funds.

That would make her complicit in what happened.
 

yh45

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2024
Messages
5
Location
london
Thank you I will rephrase it, she didnt leave it deliberately
You may wish to rephrase this because it may given an unintended impression to tfl.

Your phrase could be taken to mean that you sister deliberately left it at home for you to use because she knew that you didnt have sufficient funds.

That would make her complicit in what happened.
 

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2012
Messages
1,939
I don’t know how you should phrase it, but I would not use the word ‘mistake’. It makes anything else you state seem insincere.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,985
Location
Airedale
Thank you I will rephrase it, she didnt leave it deliberately
Saying you took it without her knowledge would cover the point.

Also, "I now understand" implies you didn't previously know what you were doing was wrong - leave the word out (except the third time).
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Using a staff niminee pass that you're not entitled to use is a very serious matter. Not just for you but also for the member of staff who is responsible for that pass.

Is the member of staff aware of this as they are likely to be investigated themselves. I recommend they contaft their trade union representative for advice as soon as possible.
 

yh45

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2024
Messages
5
Location
london
Using a staff niminee pass that you're not entitled to use is a very serious matter. Not just for you but also for the member of staff who is responsible for that pass.

Is the member of staff aware of this as they are likely to be investigated themselves. I recommend they contaft their trade union representative for advice as soon as possible.
yes the staff member is aware of the situation and they have told their manager. I was told by the inspectors that they would be fine as they were unaware i had used the card until i got back home and told them and my sister it had been withdrawn
 

yh45

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2024
Messages
5
Location
london
UPDATE: I was pardoned on this occasion by Tfl, Thanks for the help from everyone
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,325
UPDATE: I was pardoned on this occasion by Tfl, Thanks for the help from everyone
That seems a really good result - thanks for letting us know.

But it's important to remember that TfL have been very generous this time, and also that they now have a record of you doing the wrong thing. So it's really very important that you now always make sure that you do the right thing in future, as if you are caught again they probably won't be so kind. The best ways to get it right are to have a valid Oyster card of your own, or a contactless card. For both of those, always make sure there's enough money on it to pay for your fare.
 

Leo12

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2024
Messages
67
Location
London
UPDATE: I was pardoned on this occasion by Tfl, Thanks for the help from everyone
Congrats. Could you please inform me after sending your response when did you receive final decision from TFL? I am also waiting for their decision?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
UPDATE: I was pardoned on this occasion by Tfl, Thanks for the help from everyone
Thank you for updating us on the outcome of your case. Would you be able to upload a copy of the letter TfL sent you, as this is a very unusual outcome. I assume they gave you a Final Warning or simply decided to take no further action.

It would be good to know exactly what they said so we can help people in a similar situation in the future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top