• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL Staff Oyster Card & Single Thameslink Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

casio

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2015
Messages
9
Hi folks,

I'm making plans to return to TfL offices next month for one or two days a week which means I won't require a season ticket from Thameslink (travelling from Harlington). With the current set up, I will have to purchase single tickets and be reimbursed 75% of the ticket value in my pay.

Given EMR is not an option (or not worthwhile due to a change) I will always get Thameslink trains. Previously I would buy my season ticket to KTN as my staff Oyster Card would cover me from KTN to LBG despite the train not calling at KTN.

As I've always had a season ticket when travelling into the office, I've never purchased a single ticket into London since I've worked at TfL. I did call Staff Travel however they weren't sure but do I purchase a ticket to KTN or London Terminals?

Obviously I would prefer to buy a ticket to KTN as it's a bit cheaper but unsure whether the single ticket would be valid with the Oyster Card for trains not stopping at KTN. At the same time I don't want to be inadvertently breaking any rules or getting into arguments with ticket inspectors.

If anyone knows, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewlew

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2019
Messages
748
Location
London
You can buy a ticket to Kentish Town only.

I do the same from Milton Keynes, we get free travel Watford Junction to Euston so I just buy a ticket to WFJ
 

casio

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2015
Messages
9
You can buy a ticket to Kentish Town only.

I do the same from Milton Keynes, we get free travel Watford Junction to Euston so I just buy a ticket to WFJ
Thank you. That's great! I am actually looking to buy somewhere on that line, potentially Bletchley or Leighton Buzzard. Assume all fine if getting a ticket to WFJ, even if it doesn't stop there then?
 

Lewlew

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2019
Messages
748
Location
London
Thank you. That's great! I am actually looking to buy somewhere on that line, potentially Bletchley or Leighton Buzzard. Assume all fine if getting a ticket to WFJ, even if it doesn't stop there then?
Yep, train doesn't need to stop. Just make sure you show your staff pass at the same time as your ticket.

The only oddity is that our staff pass isn't valid on Southern at all so if you get that train to Harrow/Wembley/Shepherd's Bush etc etc then you'd need to buy a ticket for the whole trip and not just to Watford.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
You staff pass is effectively an "area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover" in relation to Condition 14.2 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel, so yes you can buy a ticket to Kentish Town only.
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
Yep, train doesn't need to stop. Just make sure you show your staff pass at the same time as your ticket.

The only oddity is that our staff pass isn't valid on Southern at all so if you get that train to Harrow/Wembley/Shepherd's Bush etc etc then you'd need to buy a ticket for the whole trip and not just to Watford.
Staff passes are valid on southern from Wembley Central to Watford Junction
 

Lewlew

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2019
Messages
748
Location
London
Irs always been all national rail services between Euston and Watford Junction including intermediate stops it's even valid on avanti with a season ticket
Avanti is new. It wasn't valid on Virgin. I'm still sure that it never used to be valid on Southern.
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
Avanti is new. It wasn't valid on Virgin. I'm still sure that it never used to be valid on Southern.
It was intact when virgin existed you could get the 75% discounted ticket from them direct to Watford Junction and use the pass between Watford Junction and Euston. There was a thread in disputes and prosecutions where a staff member was wrongly required to purchase an excess for using the ticket. Virgin apologised and refunded them

The travel concession to Watford Junction I believe predates privatisation

Here are the conditions of use for a staff pass and it mentions nothing about it not being valid on Southern services between Watford Junction and Euston.
 

Attachments

  • R2990 (1).pdf
    173.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

casio

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2015
Messages
9
Do you get the season through the TfL scheme or as a Priv discount? If it’s the latter the new(ish) Flexi season might work for you.
I'm going in just once a week for now, so no need for a season ticket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top