• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

tfl route planner, West Hampstead to Elstree via St Albans

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
Today the FCC trains were messed up

Waiting at West Hampstead, the trains being cancelled to Elstree, I decided to get a fast train to St Albans and then a train back to Elstree

I'd once seen that as an option on the tfl route planner

But I've only got a zone 1 - 6 season ticket which doesn't really let me go to St Albans

Would I have got a rollicking if I had got caught for changing at St Albans? Or would they have accepted it?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan_atki

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2006
Messages
1,879
I'd once seen that as an option on the tfl route planner

But I've only got a zone 1 - 6 season ticket which doesn't really let me go to St Albans

Would I have got a rollicking if I had got caught for changing at St Albans? Or would they have accepted it?

Journey planners can sometimes throw up things like this when it is quicker to travel via St Albans, in this instance. This may be true in the peak with a semi-fast FCC service calling St Pancras, West Hampstead, St Albans for instance. Sadly, they do not always think about whether your ticket may be valid for that journey.

National Rail Enquiries now tells you if you need two tickets to travel on a 'strange' itinerary it provides because it is quicker than the one a single ticket is valid on.

As for getting into trouble, then in normal circumstances, yes you would most likely receive a penalty fare for being over distance. However, in times of severe disruption where they just need to get people to their destinations with the minimum of fuss, I'd hope that common sense would prevail over the matter and no comment made.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,493
Location
Yorkshire
If the trains to Elstree are cancelled, then that seems a reasonable solution to me, and is what I'd probably do in those circumstances.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top