Just wanted some advice and help on my situation. On a night out my phone was dead so I followed someone through the barrier at the exit and got caught doing it. I happily gave in and told the guy my information and that a fine would come my way. I thought no worries, its £50 if I pay it off when it arrives. When a letter does arrive it states that they are working on my case and to give more details and tell them what happened. I did so and then received another letter in the post today (no letter or email was given to me about just paying it off). It says they are charging me with a criminal offence for attempting to leave the station in a non valid way. What happens from here? Do I plead guilty and will end up paying a large fine? It is stated online I will be given a criminal record as well? Is that going to happen and is it the sort of criminal record that would stop me getting good jobs? To be clear I am okay with playing the large fine it was my fault but I need some more information about what is going to happen. I have also heard you can settle these things out of court but is that an option for me?
Edit - I said in my initial response to TFL that "I will not deny not paying for a ticket but my phone was dead so I was unable to tap through. I am happy to pay the fine for not having a valid ticket". I agree the wording "not having a valid ticket" is poor but I could I use the dead phone to my defence?
All help appreciated.
Edit - I said in my initial response to TFL that "I will not deny not paying for a ticket but my phone was dead so I was unable to tap through. I am happy to pay the fine for not having a valid ticket". I agree the wording "not having a valid ticket" is poor but I could I use the dead phone to my defence?
All help appreciated.
Attachments
Last edited: