• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Terrified commuters forced to flee burning train

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Surely most alarms are silent these days? What was she expecting, a siren and then all the lights going red saying 'WARNING! RED ALERT!'?

I thought the alarms triggered the 'Could Inspector Sands please report to the station control room.' message? That's what happened at Barking when some stupid kids did it.

The staff look absolutely clueless though, aren't there door buttons at the end of each carriage which is what they use when terminating trains. I was led to believe they also opened the doors?

There are also emergency door releases surely? Another thing, that I find odd is instead of moving down the train to the cab and exiting that way, they all decide it's better to just try and climb through the windows, hold the doors open.

Obviously people will be petrified if something like this happens. Who wouldn't? Especially on the tube, but they were over panicking. There was no calm and orderly evacuation like we've seen in the video of the South Eastern were everybody remained relatively calm and just left the train.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
Perhaps she'd thought a robotic uber-being would emerge from a concealed chamber behind the wall and rip the doors clean off the side of the train.

That was one of the things Metronet was meant to include on its station upgrades, no?
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I thought the alarms triggered the 'Could Inspector Sands please report to the station control room.' message? That's what happened at Barking when some stupid kids did it.

To prevent any troublemakers who may read the forum from knowing, I won't specify exactly how the fire alarm system works, but suffice to say there are ways of pressing the buttons so that the station will automatically be evacuated.

The staff look absolutely clueless though, aren't there door buttons at the end of each carriage which is what they use when terminating trains. I was led to believe they also opened the doors?

The staff opened the external door on one carriage, and then the driver opened the rest of the doors in the platform. The train had stopped half way out of the station with its brakes locked on. Thus the only way of getting out was to await staff or try to use the emergency carriage-end doors to reach the cab which was still in the station.

There are also emergency door releases surely?

There are, but only accessible to staff on modern LU Stock.

Another thing, that I find odd is instead of moving down the train to the cab and exiting that way, they all decide it's better to just try and climb through the windows, hold the doors open.

The train cab would have led directly to the track, which may still have been live (that is to say, charged).

Obviously people will be petrified if something like this happens. Who wouldn't? Especially on the tube, but they were over panicking.

I agree. They were over-panicking somewhat (I wonder how many, if any, passengers were intoxicated or not used to the Tube? It would be interesting to know, compared to weekday commuter trains, for example), but the smell from a train's brakes when it has been stopped sharply in a tunnel can be very alarming.

There was no calm and orderly evacuation like we've seen in the video of the South Eastern were everybody remained relatively calm and just left the train.

That's because there was no realistic way of getting out. It is better for staff to lead evacuations, in any case, and evacuating onto the track in a tunnel is an utterly stupid idea without the line being blocked and traction current being discharged. I agree that being stuck on a Tube train which smells of smoke is unpleasant and could cause panic and a need to evacuate, but passengers did go over the top here. And yes, I have been on a Tube train in a deep tunnel which has started to smell of smoke, requiring due procedures to be followed.
 
Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Oh they do make a fuss. Don't panic Captain Mainwaring should've been announced.
 

68000

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2008
Messages
832
By at least being able to take in what is actually happening within the train and thus making some effort to deal with the situation. A DOO Driver will spend a good few minutes, if not considerably more, stuck in the front cab dealing with control, maintenance, the Signaller and so on. In this case we have clear evidence that the Driver had no idea his passengers were on the line, as he was merrily making apologetic announcements when half the train had already let themselves off. That embodies the risk right there, it is pure luck that no none of those people chose to use the doors on the other side and landed on the juice. If whoever was leading the merry dance had made a bad call and gone for the wrong side, we could very easily have had a string of potentially fatal electrocutions to deal with. Had there been a Guard on that train, he would have been in a position to immediately identify what was going on and get something done straight away - straight out of the cab and down there with a short ciruiting bar and a set of clips, and the line is made safe in moments. Then you stay there and get the crowds out of the way.
I say again, this was a near miss.

Thanks but you never addressed any of the points made
 

Minstral25

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2009
Messages
1,967
Location
Surrey
I suspect passengers used the emergency door release, otherwise I very much agree with what you've said.

If a building/car/train/whatever is on fire the best bet is to get the hell out and ask questions later

Is there an emergency door release inside the train. I use 377's daily and don't recall ever seeing one. However as I've never needed one or haven't looked for one, it is possible that I haven't noticed. I will look tomorrow.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So you are proposong that when the carriage on fire and surrounded by smoke it is better to force the doors open and jump out into that smoke!
Good luck with that, me I would be heading to an ajoining carriage, and believe me if the carriage I am in is on fire I will get into that carriage!

You obviously sit at the front in the only guaranteed seat on the train. In the trains I travel in daily, if there was more room in the carriage passengers would have got into it rather than been left behind at the previous stations.


A lot of them are sheep though, they will blindly follow anyone that sounds as if they know what they are talking about.

Again I ask to those defending the self evacuation route-
Where is the smoke that is supposed to be inside the carriage?
I cant see any!

You know a lot about trains so you would understand what to do. Why do you expect the average passenger to do so as well.

These situations are the biggest reason not to implement DOO. Personally I oppose it totally.

I am really worried about the effect on the West London Line with its seriously overcrowded trains of the proposal to go DOO. Imagine passengers trying to get out of a fully loaded 378 in these circumstances. I'd consider travelling on that line after DOO implementation unsafe, but then I have to get to work so I will pay for the privilege of my life being risked.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top