• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Temporarily Unfit - Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

diego1234

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2013
Messages
74
Hi all - Would very much appreciate any advice anyone has to offer but after spending a year or so pursuing my dream to become a train driver, I finally got through all the assessments and was made a conditional offer of employment to be a depot driver a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately my medical (last week) didn't go as planned and I fell just below the standard regarding the vision criteria. (Everything else was fine but still pending the results for drug testing but don't anticipate there to be any issues).

I don't currently wear glasses and was advised to go to the optician. At the end I was passed 'temporarily unfit' but the doctor said that once I obtain glasses and tested again I should be fine.

Has anyone else experienced this or be able to offer any advice as to whether provided I get glasses I am still in with a chance?

Many thanks in advance
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrew32

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
492
Not been in this situation but after reading your post I would safely assume that once you obtain glasses you will be passed fit for duty once you are assessed again given that you fell just below the required standard.

You have been classed temporarily unfit, not permanently unfit meaning glasses will correct your vision defect.
 

Daveladjones12

New Member
Joined
24 Nov 2013
Messages
2
Have you had a start date given to you yet? I'm guessing if you can get the problem sorted and passed as fit as soon as possible and doesn't stop you from starting your training course then there shouldn't be a problem.

I think it would only be a problem if your course is due to start before you get passed as fit.

I don't know how these things work but I was just thinking logically and I know a colleague who failed a medical due to his medical history needing to be further investigated and this was not resolved before his training course so he missed out on the vacancy as they filled it with a reserve.

I assume your problem will be sorted fairly quickly though.
 

A-driver

Established Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
4,482
That is exactly what happened to me when I was applying for a trainee driver job. I was told my distance vision was a line or so under requirement so passed temp unfit and sent to get glasses. HR told me that it wouldn't be a problem, just may mean I missed the course they offered me and would have a later start date. In the end I got an optician appointment the same day as my medical and glasses were ordered straight away. A week later they arrived, I contacted southerns HR and got a date for a review medical (eyesight only) about 3 days later. Passed fit and made the original start date and course.

I wouldn't worry-get an optician appointment ASAP, get the glasses and you will be passed fit.
 

Moonshot

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2013
Messages
3,806
A Driver is correct - I used to work for NR Occy health team, and we saw this quite a bit after staff went for a Bupa medical......and it always related to sight. Once u get the glasses, its fine......no staff are allowed to work in safety critical roles without good eyesight, and if that means wearing glasses ( which a lot do ) then so be it.
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
It is exactly what it says, you are temporarily unfit until such time as you get glasses, once you get the glasses and pass the eyesight tests you will be fine. You will need to carry a spare pair of glasses with you while on duty though, other than that business as normal, a few years ago you would have failed and that would have been the end of it but the rules were changed.
 

diego1234

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2013
Messages
74
Thanks for the reply's and reassurance - I will certainly see the optician asap and then hopefully I can get a retest and past fit! Will keep you updated - thanks again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top