• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Teign Valley Line: Exeter-Newton Abbot cut-off 1930s (proposal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,223
I read that there was a proposal in the 1930s for a direct Exeter-N Abbot cut-off but cannot find any details.

Was it intended to follow the Teign Valley line or follow a new alignment.

Given the stiff gradients, curves and single line of the Teign Valley route a new alignment would seem the better option but does anyone know?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,946
Location
Devon
I must admit that I thought it was to run around the back of Dawlish and Teignmouth (presumably using tunnels) so that it still served those towns. I seem to remember reading that the GWR purchased the land but it was gradually sold off in BR days.

I may well be wrong on this but I’ve always wanted to find out more about the scheme, so hopefully someone can fill in the details?
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,039
Location
Up the creek
If you google GWR Dawlish avoiding line, choose Images, and then an item called Dawlish closures - November 2018 on Great Western Coffee Shop it will take you to a forum with these maps. (The item was top right on my result.) Giving away one of my tricks here.

EDIT: Googling 1935 GWR Dawlish line also produces a few results.
 
Last edited:

Western Sunset

Established Member
Joined
23 Dec 2014
Messages
3,062
Location
Wimborne, Dorset
"Exeter - Newton Abbot - A Railway History" by Peter Kay (1993) gives comprehensive plans of the various options for the inland diversionary line.
 

Irascible

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2020
Messages
2,233
Location
Dyfneint
I think it's not too dissimilar to one of the proposals from last decade's report ( unsurprisingly, given historic options were looked at, and why not - someone did some legwork already ). Definitely wasn't using the Teign Valley route.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top