trainfarecatch
New Member
Hi,
I was caught not having a railcard for a journey to Reading from Martins Heron, on 24/08/24. I had received an email from SWR that initially I did not see, and I have included those below.
I have now seen this email and am in the process of responding, I did travel on several occasions without a railcard despite saying I had a railcard, and totally admit wrongdoing, I did not at all realise the seriousness of this this crime, and since spending the day reading this formum I am very worried.
Below is now my draft response to SWR, I would greatly appreciate any advice that can be given, as I am a teacher and a criminal record would mean I would lose my job!!!!!
As I mention in the email, there is a period where i did have a railcard but I can no longer evidence this.....
Any help greatly appriciated
1st email:
I am currently investigating your case concerning your travel from Martins Heron to Reading Railway Stations on the 24th August 2024. During this journey, you were approached by a SWR Revenue member of staff. You presented a ticket with a Railcard discount and, upon questioning, you were not able to produce a valid Railcard. Consequently, you were reported for prosecution, as your ticket was not valid for your entire journey.
As part of this investigation, I have the authority under the Railway Byelaws and National Conditions of Travel 2022 to examine all tickets purchased and used on the South Western Railway network if an offense has occurred. Through a Data Sharing agreement, I have obtained access to all your Trainline Purchase History. Upon reviewing your purchase history, it has come to my attention that there are other journeys on the South Western Railway Network where evidence suggests that there are multiple tickets that are also not valid for the entirety of your journey. These journeys occurred between the dates of 1st May 2021 to the 24th August 2024.
I have attached the pre-court partial disclosure document Exhibit NJS01, which includes your online Trainline ticket purchase history. All journeys under suspicion are numbered 1 to 123 and highlighted. This provides an opportunity for you to provide an accurate account of each journey, specifying the start and finish points and if you were in possession of a valid Railcard. Could you please complete this document and return this via email, completing columns R, S, T and U for each highlighted line, stating the Start and Finish stations in Column R and S that you travelled from and to. In Column T state whether you were in possession of a valid Railcard, Yes/No for each journey (Providing photographic proof via email of the card or a screen print of the digital card with expiry dates). In Column U state whether you travelled on a Refunded ticket, Yes/No for each journey.
I kindly request that you respond within 7 days of receiving this email. I strongly advise against ignoring this communication and suggest seeking independent legal advice. Assistance and guidance can be obtained from the Citizens Advice Service, and I have attached a link for your reference: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/. It is my hope that with your assistance, we can work towards a resolution, without the need for the potential of this case proceeding to court and further legal action.
Thank you for your cooperation, and I look forward to your prompt response
2nd email:
Dear Miss A
It is with regret that I have not yet received a response to my previous enquiry sent on the 16th October, 2024, as per my email below.
Your cooperation in providing a truthful account within the stipulated timeframe is crucial.
I kindly request your immediate attention to this matter and ask that you respond by Wednesday, 30thOctober, 2024.
Failure to provide the requested information within the specified timeframe will compel me to refer this case to our prosecutor, which may trigger further legal action, including court proceedings.
I strongly advise seeking independent legal advice specialised in dealing with fare evasion. Assistance and guidance can be obtained from the Citizens Advice Service, and I have attached a link for your reference: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ .
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or require further clarification.
Kind Regards,
My draft response
Hi N,
Firstly, I want to say I am very sorry for my offences and the inconvenience that I have caused you & South Western Railway.
I completely acknowledge the wrong doing in claiming to have a railcard for travel when I did not (any travel with a railcard between the dates of 29/07/22 to 24/08/24 (numbers 106 to 123)).
I have now filled out exhibit NJS01, which is attached - sorry for missing the initial email from you!
I did purchase a 16-25 railcard, I believe on the 22nd Jul 2021 - 21 Jul 2022, before a trip to Cardiff, however my history on the trainline app only goes back to 20th Oct 2022, and I have deleted old emails from that date, so the only evidence to support this is a £30 payment to Trainline on my Barclays app (screenshot provided).
Since the 24th Aug I have learnt about the seriousness of this offence and I absoluetely will make sure that any future journey's have tickets that are valid for the entire journey.
I am a school teacher so I would really appriciate an opportunity to reach an out-of-court settlement on this matter.
I am more than willing to repay South Western Railway the full price of all occurrences as well as any other associated or administrative costs.
Also, There is another person included on the exhibit NJS01 - , and I am not sure who that is, so cannot account for his journeys.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know.
Kind regards,
I was caught not having a railcard for a journey to Reading from Martins Heron, on 24/08/24. I had received an email from SWR that initially I did not see, and I have included those below.
I have now seen this email and am in the process of responding, I did travel on several occasions without a railcard despite saying I had a railcard, and totally admit wrongdoing, I did not at all realise the seriousness of this this crime, and since spending the day reading this formum I am very worried.
Below is now my draft response to SWR, I would greatly appreciate any advice that can be given, as I am a teacher and a criminal record would mean I would lose my job!!!!!
As I mention in the email, there is a period where i did have a railcard but I can no longer evidence this.....
Any help greatly appriciated
1st email:
I am currently investigating your case concerning your travel from Martins Heron to Reading Railway Stations on the 24th August 2024. During this journey, you were approached by a SWR Revenue member of staff. You presented a ticket with a Railcard discount and, upon questioning, you were not able to produce a valid Railcard. Consequently, you were reported for prosecution, as your ticket was not valid for your entire journey.
As part of this investigation, I have the authority under the Railway Byelaws and National Conditions of Travel 2022 to examine all tickets purchased and used on the South Western Railway network if an offense has occurred. Through a Data Sharing agreement, I have obtained access to all your Trainline Purchase History. Upon reviewing your purchase history, it has come to my attention that there are other journeys on the South Western Railway Network where evidence suggests that there are multiple tickets that are also not valid for the entirety of your journey. These journeys occurred between the dates of 1st May 2021 to the 24th August 2024.
I have attached the pre-court partial disclosure document Exhibit NJS01, which includes your online Trainline ticket purchase history. All journeys under suspicion are numbered 1 to 123 and highlighted. This provides an opportunity for you to provide an accurate account of each journey, specifying the start and finish points and if you were in possession of a valid Railcard. Could you please complete this document and return this via email, completing columns R, S, T and U for each highlighted line, stating the Start and Finish stations in Column R and S that you travelled from and to. In Column T state whether you were in possession of a valid Railcard, Yes/No for each journey (Providing photographic proof via email of the card or a screen print of the digital card with expiry dates). In Column U state whether you travelled on a Refunded ticket, Yes/No for each journey.
I kindly request that you respond within 7 days of receiving this email. I strongly advise against ignoring this communication and suggest seeking independent legal advice. Assistance and guidance can be obtained from the Citizens Advice Service, and I have attached a link for your reference: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/. It is my hope that with your assistance, we can work towards a resolution, without the need for the potential of this case proceeding to court and further legal action.
Thank you for your cooperation, and I look forward to your prompt response
2nd email:
Dear Miss A
It is with regret that I have not yet received a response to my previous enquiry sent on the 16th October, 2024, as per my email below.
Your cooperation in providing a truthful account within the stipulated timeframe is crucial.
I kindly request your immediate attention to this matter and ask that you respond by Wednesday, 30thOctober, 2024.
Failure to provide the requested information within the specified timeframe will compel me to refer this case to our prosecutor, which may trigger further legal action, including court proceedings.
I strongly advise seeking independent legal advice specialised in dealing with fare evasion. Assistance and guidance can be obtained from the Citizens Advice Service, and I have attached a link for your reference: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ .
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or require further clarification.
Kind Regards,
My draft response
Hi N,
Firstly, I want to say I am very sorry for my offences and the inconvenience that I have caused you & South Western Railway.
I completely acknowledge the wrong doing in claiming to have a railcard for travel when I did not (any travel with a railcard between the dates of 29/07/22 to 24/08/24 (numbers 106 to 123)).
I have now filled out exhibit NJS01, which is attached - sorry for missing the initial email from you!
I did purchase a 16-25 railcard, I believe on the 22nd Jul 2021 - 21 Jul 2022, before a trip to Cardiff, however my history on the trainline app only goes back to 20th Oct 2022, and I have deleted old emails from that date, so the only evidence to support this is a £30 payment to Trainline on my Barclays app (screenshot provided).
Since the 24th Aug I have learnt about the seriousness of this offence and I absoluetely will make sure that any future journey's have tickets that are valid for the entire journey.
I am a school teacher so I would really appriciate an opportunity to reach an out-of-court settlement on this matter.
I am more than willing to repay South Western Railway the full price of all occurrences as well as any other associated or administrative costs.
Also, There is another person included on the exhibit NJS01 - , and I am not sure who that is, so cannot account for his journeys.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know.
Kind regards,