• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taxi entitlement due to delay (GWR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnasher11

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
64
Hi all, my train (19:55 from Exeter St David's to Paddington) was delayed by over an hour due to a fatality on the line between Iver and Paddington, so we arrived at Paddington just gone midnight. I presented myself at the excess fares window as the District line was no longer running and requested a taxi. As my ticket was to Paddington a 'discussion' then ensued along the lines of we got you to your ticketed destination, so no Taxi.
I stood my ground and argued the case ( politely) that if we had got in on time, or even slightly delayed then I could have completed my journey by Tube etc but this was now not possible. Eventually after further phonecalls, a taxi was organised. Was I just lucky, or are there any 'rules' to back this up? My final destination was Motspur Park, (south London). I was surprised that they turned away lone women travellers on the same basis. I used to always book from Penzance to Motspur Park, but since the advent of oyster, have stopped doing this, as I always had gate line problems with TFL staff saying that a ticket for Penzance to Motspur Park (via Paddington) wasn't valid on the tube...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
It can possibly be argued both ways, but messy to say the least. Some may want to go into further details but I really don't want to do that right now.

It is always recommended that next time buy a through ticket to your destination if the difference is negligible.

Being a lone woman may swing the decision in your favour, given the timing, but it very much depends on who is on duty.

I suspect the number of Underground staff refusing you travel on a Penzance - Motspur Park ticket is very low, seeing that all fares have the cross-London marker, which is all they normally care about, unless you take a very roundabout route.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top