• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tapped out using contactless instead of rail ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

merle

New Member
Joined
10 Feb 2023
Messages
2
Location
London
Hi everyone, I was travelling from Rye to London Bridge today, but I accidentally tapped out using contactless instead of my train ticket. I then took the underground from London Bridge to Canary Wharf. Could anyone help with what I should do next and if I'll be charged a penalty? Thanks in advance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,379
Hi everyone, I was travelling from Rye to London Bridge today, but I accidentally tapped out using contactless instead of my train ticket. I then took the underground from London Bridge to Canary Wharf. Could anyone help with what I should do next and if I'll be charged a penalty? Thanks in advance!
It should be fine as a one-off.

Two options would appear to be to call the Oyster helpdesk and explain the situation, or to complete the incomplete journey online with a touch in at suitable station.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,782
Location
UK
Hi everyone, I was travelling from Rye to London Bridge today, but I accidentally tapped out using contactless instead of my train ticket. I then took the underground from London Bridge to Canary Wharf. Could anyone help with what I should do next and if I'll be charged a penalty? Thanks in advance!
There's no penalty. You can call the TfL helpline and explain what's happened; if this is the first time this has happened to you, they'll likely just refund any maximum fare you've been charged. There's an outside chance they might ask to see your other ticket before agreeing to refund it, or that they might refuse. But most likely they'll just refund it.
 

PMH

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2022
Messages
46
Location
Staffordshire
If the guy does nothing in this case they'd just be charged the incomplete journey fee I take it? Have never managed to make this myself, but it must be fairly common.
 

merle

New Member
Joined
10 Feb 2023
Messages
2
Location
London
Thanks for the speedy answers everyone. Was panicking a little there, but it seems like a relatively straightforward solution. Cheers
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,893
I did this myself once, went to football at one of the West Midlands clubs, came back into Euston and tapped out with contactless instead of using my paper ticket to open the barrier. Went into my TFL account where I was charged for an incomplete journey (unknown/no tap in to Euston). Filled out the online form explaining what I’d done, got a reply saying the incomplete charge would be refunded, whilst noting that it was my first time doing this, and if it happened again they would ask for evidence of the paper ticket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top