I'd regard myself as not doing enough to prevent my own child from stepping out of line.
Some on here can see the gist at what I'm trying to get at, others don't.
I know what you are getting at, just think you are way off the mark! BTW you must have been a perfect child, never doing anything wrong. Most kids aren't like you.
I'm not suggesting using a firing squad, what I'm suggesting is the parents of children who have been caught faredodging would have to cough up the unpaid fare and failure to do so would involve action such as imprisonment of the parents (something that the kid wouldn't want) or the child taken into care (something that the kid wouldn't want) - OK, it is drastic but as I've said before it would s*** them up and if it happened to a few people then more and more people wouldn't take the risk. It would send a serious message that faredodging / defrauding the railways /whatever you want to call it would not be tolerated and the risks are there if anyone is caught.
Drastic is one word for it. Bonkers is another! Guess what social services would do if you suggested putting children into care for fare dodging. That's right, s*** themselves laughing. FFS they cant even cope with real issues that they should be dealing with rather than silly non issues like this. If it is that much of an issue (and I doubt it is really) recover the money from the parents via the civil process. Although I cant imagine that going down well with your beloved Daily Mail. They complain loudly toughen when people are told off for taking kids out of school for holidays.
(BTW - the reason the social services cant cope is because decent Tory folk like you keep cutting their funding! That is also the reason the prison service is in a mess and cant cope and the reason the court system is shambolic. Who knew..........................)
EDIT - what happens to the parent of the child over the age of criminal responsibility?
EDIT 2 - hang on - you are
honestly suggesting locking a parent up over a small fare issue ( and with a half fare it could be a really small sum) and giving them a criminal record for something they haven't done, potentially loosing them their job, impacting on their ability to provide a home, stable environment and a suitable role model for the youngster potentially leading to them losing care of that child. Is that what you honesty think is a good idea? Bonkers isnt a strong enough word!