• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taking up more space/seats than you've paid for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roverman

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
509
Is this a record? 1 adult male taking up all 4 seats with his coat laptop bag food bag, all the table with his laptop, newspapers and other detritus and then slung his holdall under two seats on the other side of FC.

The bag looked unattended so as a responsible citizen I asked him if it was his and got a loud 'yes' and a glare for my troubles!

Train is 21:01 XC from BHM to STA guard nowhere to be seen as per usual!!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I was on the bus the other day and this young lady sat down opposite and 1 seat to the right of me in the bay of four, feet went up on 1 seat, handbag on the on next to her and me! She then she looked most put out as she realised I was sitting where she wanted to put here shopping! :roll: :-x

Some people really do seem to think that public transport id for their sole use personal use.
 

Roverman

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
509
Grr Feet up on the seat, that really grinds my gears. The only time that should be acceptable is if you have a broken foot/leg/ankle and it needs elevating. You should carry a doctors note at all times explaining this and some kind of cover to place under your foot so you don't make a mess of the seat.
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
Grr Feet up on the seat, that really grinds my gears. The only time that should be acceptable is if you have a broken foot/leg/ankle and it needs elevating. You should carry a doctors note at all times explaining this and some kind of cover to place under your foot so you don't make a mess of the seat.
But surely no dirt or worse ever gets on shoes? ;)
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
I just move the stuff and sit there and say hi and give a nod if that ever happens. Same with them that put luggage in the aisle. I just pick it up and move it to where it should be and when they ask what I am doing I just say "what you should have done" and move on
 
Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Grr Feet up on the seat, that really grinds my gears. The only time that should be acceptable is if you have a broken foot/leg/ankle and it needs elevating. You should carry a doctors note at all times explaining this and some kind of cover to place under your foot so you don't make a mess of the seat.

It seems like if your under the age of 25/ 30 then it's now compulsory to put your feet on the seat opposite - I expect said people are also the ones who moan about the dirty, frayed and scuffed up seat edges. :roll:.
 

Roverman

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
509
Seeing as I am turning 30 in under 3 weeks does this mean I can start misbehaving ;)
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
I had a whole carriage to myself today (15:40 Newcastle to Birmingham, I got off at Durham leaving the carriage empty - weirdly quiet) and I still didn't spread out that much :)
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Hey, some of us know how to behave, thanks :p

I don't mean to demonise young people, there is enough of that happening already, but there is a visible (or perhaps audible) minority that just don't seem to understand that what may be socially acceptable to them isn't deemed so by society in general. Admittedly this degradation in social standards does span all age groups to some extent.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
It seems like if you're under the age of 25/ 30 then it's now compulsory to put your feet on the seat opposite - I expect said people are also the ones who moan about the dirty, frayed and scuffed up seat edges. :roll:.

Yeah, there are plenty of us under that age who despise it as much as you do <(. The three things I only ever moan about on buses are the lack of legroom (I'm 1.85m tall), the heat and the lack of taste in everyone else's music.

This topic has been done to death though so I've nothing new to add :lol:
 

Goatboy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
2,274
On a Voyager last night somebody had a dog sprawled out over two seats. Niiice.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I had a whole carriage to myself today (15:40 Newcastle to Birmingham, I got off at Durham leaving the carriage empty - weirdly quiet) and I still didn't spread out that much :)

I have had two coaches to myself before and I think I only took up one seat, including my backpack! Admittedly this was on a 455 working a Parly...
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I think I'm just getting fed up with people fing and blinding at the top of their voice whilst jumping around throwing things at each other, as seems to happen almost every time I get on the bus ATM.
 

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
2,087
Location
Ellesmere port
I have had two coaches to myself before and I think I only took up one seat, including my backpack! Admittedly this was on a 455 working a Parly...

The 4 times I have caught the 7:17 from Chester to Euston 3 time I've had the coach to myself and my mum/dad (Depending on who I'm with). The 4th time the guy bailed at Crewe
 

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2011
Messages
1,825
Most students I see on trains seem to insist on sitting on the floor in the vestibules, blocking the aisles with their rucksacks, when there are plenty of empty seats available in the carriages which they could sit on.
 

Roverman

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
509
One day they'll find they can't get up so easily and realise the seats are the best place for them!!
 

Goatboy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2011
Messages
2,274
Most students I see on trains seem to insist on sitting on the floor in the vestibules, blocking the aisles with their rucksacks, when there are plenty of empty seats available in the carriages which they could sit on.

I've noticed this quite a lot as well. I'm not really sure why they do it? Even on long distance routes they seem to want to sit all over the floor in corridors..
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
I've noticed this quite a lot as well. I'm not really sure why they do it? Even on long distance routes they seem to want to sit all over the floor in corridors..

Too used to traveling with XC ;)
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
I've noticed this quite a lot as well. I'm not really sure why they do it? Even on long distance routes they seem to want to sit all over the floor in corridors..

I would put it down to years of school assemblys, but that might show off my (not that advanced) age!
 

tractakid

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2012
Messages
852
Location
Milton Keynes
At school break times, one of the most common activities is sitting on floors in corridors. I guess it just carries over.
 

talltim

Established Member
Joined
17 Jan 2010
Messages
2,454
They may have got on when the train was busier and the cant be bothered to move
 

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2012
Messages
1,940
On a Voyager last night somebody had a dog sprawled out over two seats. Niiice.
If the owner was male, perhaps you should have enquired 'Is dat your bitch?'
Would have enhanced your 'street-cred' no end :lol:
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
They may have got on when the train was busier and the cant be bothered to move

Off-topic, but... if they happened to be on a tram, it would probably because they can't be bothered to try to stand up yet again ;)

I'm pretty sure the drivers of CR4000s only give them the full whammy when they can see that someone isn't holding on! <D
 

Smudger105e

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2010
Messages
1,012
Location
N 52° 53.492 W 001° 15.493
I was having a trip from Skegness to Newark via Grantham on Saturday with my grandson, and a couple on the train from Skegness sat at separate tables, he put his suitcase on the table in front of him, she put carrier bags on the seat opposite her in order to attempt to ensure that they had four seats and a table each.

It didn't work.

Also not sure I liked her 'phone conversation detailing all her medical ailments such as Angina, diabetes, obesity (she has already lost 6 stone apparently) ovarian cysts, arthritic knees and the ins and outs of having a gastric band or other dietary invasive surgery done. Sees like she could have lost at least anoher 6 stone too ;)
 

Sidious

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2012
Messages
242
I was on a TPE service at Leeds the other day. From York to Leeds it was approximately 3/4 full but it was plainly obvious that from the amount of people on the platform it was going to be full and standing on to Huddersfield. The Conductor made an announcement asking for all bags to be placed overhead. There was a woman sat diagonally opposite who had colonised a table of four with her various bags and detritus who was obviously not going to give up her kingdom.

The Conductor had made her announcement from the doors at the end of the coach and then moved in for the kill "shall I help you put these bags up on the rack to make room for other passengers" she politely asked of the woman. The look of horror on her face was classic. It was really good service, and good to see.
 

Lockwood

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,248
I've noticed this quite a lot as well. I'm not really sure why they do it? Even on long distance routes they seem to want to sit all over the floor in corridors..

Funnily enough, these both come back to Pendo 1st class.
No matter what I book online, I get a window airline seat - I think I have had more legroom on a 150.
Last time I was coming back like this, I had a carriage to myself, so I commandeered a table, and set up there. Train Manager was happy for me to arrange some music on my laptop out of its speakers since I could not find my earphones anywhere, and there was noone around (Then someone came on later, so I stopped; then found my earphones as I was leaving the train)

I have said elsewhere that next time I get a window seat and no opportunity to upgrade myself to a table, I'm going to sit in the 1st class vestibule so I get legroom, but still get access to the free coffee that sometimes exists, or find a standard class table seat and pop my head into first every now and then for coffee
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
It seems like if your under the age of 25/ 30 then it's now compulsory to put your feet on the seat opposite - I expect said people are also the ones who moan about the dirty, frayed and scuffed up seat edges. :roll:.

I'd say it's mainly (not exclusively) females under the age of 19 especially the ones who pretend to be under 16 for ticketing purposes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The bag looked unattended so as a responsible citizen I asked him if it was his and got a loud 'yes' and a glare for my troubles!

Announcement I heard at Munich airport on Friday:
"Will the person who has just left a black rucksack unattended please return to it immediately or we may blow it up." :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top