• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Hire-in 158 finally leaving FGW

Status
Not open for further replies.

159jim

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2009
Messages
347
Location
Salisbury/Bournemouth
Hi

Just to let you know, according to gen, the SWT Hire-in 158 is finally leaving FGW, the last diagram for her will be the late morning-afternoon-evening Brighton service on Friday. I will miss this as I am friends with a enthusiast who lives in Chichester, and I enjoy the free first class seat ride back home to Salisbury on the 17:47 to BTM!

Thanks,
Jim.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
I live in Chichester. Who's the enthusiast? I will miss the SWT 158 too. Passengers have got so used to it now might be a shock especially when it becomes more likely a 150/1 may turn up
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Ah right good to know there are local enthusiasts. I take it the ATW 150/2s will also be returned.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,300
The daily FGW hire is still shown in next year's SWT carriage working notices (CWNs) though - although I'd agree it really ought not to be needed by now. I guess we'll find out next week...
 

louis97

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,153
Location
Derby
The hire in is not being withdrawn, it is going to be operating a different diagram on the Stroud Valley. I'd imagine it will go back to operating 2M11 the 0704 from Westbury to Cheltenham Via Swindon.
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
I would have thought SWT have enough 158s to send some to FGW permanently
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
The first ATW 150 was replaced by the SWT 158. The second two were replaced with the LO 150s and the final two replaced with the LM 150s. They were always planned to go, so not replaced by that additional 150/2s.
 

BestWestern

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2011
Messages
6,736
Last BTN - BRI service this evening, unit absolutely rammed solid until Salisbury-ish and eventually arrived into Brizzle about 30 late :| This is where the use of the SWT stock falls down on that diagram, the combination of less seating due to first class, hardly any luggage space, and the damned silly arrangement with the leading doors locking out makes things very difficult when it's busy.

I have it on good authority that the replacement stock is planned to be FGW's last two remaining two-car 158 sets, coupled together on a permanent basis and allocated a new unit number in the fashion of the three-car 'hybrid' 158 9XX sets. We'll see what materialises of course, but you heard it here first! ;)
 
Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
No, but you lose seats because of the lack of seating in that area..
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
BestWestern:894682 said:
I have it on good authority that the replacement stock is planned to be FGW's last two remaining two-car 158 sets, coupled together on a permanent basis and allocated a new unit number in the fashion of the three-car 'hybrid' 158 9XX sets. We'll see what materialises of course, but you heard it here first! ;)

Just got on the 1124 Ashchurch to Brighton Service. ONLY 2 cars as usual but pulls in with a new unit number on the front. 158960. I was thinking this should be a 158/7. Any more info?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top