I can see the logic behind this. In fact I've always wondered how drivers can safely get onto the ballast in units where the only access is via the passenger saloon. It must be very difficult if the train is crush loaded. I suppose there is the front gangway door but it doesn't have a steps below it so not ideal. On pacers there isn't even that option.
Simple a door release valve!
The saloon vestibule doors on a 159 lock automatically when the driver master switch is activated, the doors are then electronically locked, however should an emergency arise they can be opened & they can be opened by the guard with a key.
The saloon vestibule doors on 442s were meant to be kept locked at all times that the cab was in use. Some drivers complied with that instruction, others didn't. I always did.
That led to an argument one morning at a Hampshire station, with some bowler hatted toff who demanded to be let in the front door, I politely declined to and told him he had to use the next door back & he got right uppity (polite version) and he was so busy ranting at me demanding my name & I'll have you sacked... Blah, Blah, Blah, that he failed to notice that the guard had activated the doors, I had the road, got the interlock & bells and I left him there.
Never heard a thing about it, I put a report in about the matter at the time and was told I wouldn't anyway as I was following procedure!
Class 444's the saloon doors are not locked, although the lazy sods of Surrey just cannot be bothered to press the button to hold the doors open properly so use the emergency override button to make them stay open. They then whinge & whine about the air con not working properly.
WELL WHO'S FAULT IS THAT THEN? I suspect that they haven't paid their little minions fare to hold the door open for them! :roll:
Those doors do have a secret feature as do the cab doors! And beware never lean on either, because I taught one oink a lesson and that's if I hit a certain button, those doors open without warning! And despite me asking one oink not to do it, he persisted, so I got to a station and operated the button an aforementioned oink, landed squarely on his butt in my cab, with the retort from me "I told you... DON'T obstruct the doors or lean on them! GET IT!"
The passengers who saw this nearly wet themselves laughing. A couple offered their details saying that they would vouch for me, to say that I'd warned & asked the oink not to obstruct the doors or lean on them.
