• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Charity Auction - Drive a 707 at the Test Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardN

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2013
Messages
430
Just saw this on SWTs twitter account, in case anybody is interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262751110919
Your chance to be amongst the first people in the world to drive the brand new Class 707 'Desiro City' on the Siemens test track in Germany

  • Standard-class return flights to Germany including hotel transfer
  • One night accommodation - dinner and breakfast included
  • Travel to the Siemens Test & Validation Centre at Wildenrath where new rolling stock is tested
  • Be amongst the first to drive a new South West Trains class 707 'Desiro City' train on the test track

This auction is in support of our 20for20 campaign - helping to raise money for four charities in our local community.

  • Southbank Sinfonia - bringing together 33 outstanding music graduates from all over the world to share classical music with a diverse audience; helping people to discover live orchestral music for the first time.
  • Autism Wessex - providing high quality specialist services for anyone affected by autism and associated difficulties across the counties of Dorset, Somerset, Hampshire and Wiltshire
  • Active Communities Network - working with local communities in the Leigh Park area to deliver an enriched programme of sports, arts and culture for young people, aged primarily between 9 and 19 years old.
  • On Course Foundation - supporting the recovery of wounded, injure
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
Just saw this on SWTs twitter account, in case anybody is interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262751110919

Im quite tempted to bid for it. Although i would probably make my own way to and from Germany by train rather than taking the flights.

I have to ask though is this safe? Train drivers get over 12 months of training and they are allowing someone to just go over and drive a train if they win the auction! I know it is on a test track and you will have instructors with you but it still just doesnt sound safe to allow someone to drive a train without all of the proper training.
 

RichardN

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2013
Messages
430
I suspect you won't be left alone in the cab. If the test track is circular and you are the only train on the track, then it is probably the safest place you could drive a train...
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,747
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Im quite tempted to bid for it. Although i would probably make my own way to and from Germany by train rather than taking the flights.

I have to ask though is this safe? Train drivers get over 12 months of training and they are allowing someone to just go over and drive a train if they win the auction! I know it is on a test track and you will have instructors with you but it still just doesnt sound safe to allow someone to drive a train without all of the proper training.

Most preserved railways offer it; I've driven a Class 101 set for a day at Wirksworth with the only previous experience being sitting behind the driver watching through the window as a kid. I'd expect this to be even safer - modern equipment, very self-contained.
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,414
I've driven a Thumper on the mid Hants- my only previous experience was OO Gauge.
 

Bookd

Member
Joined
27 Aug 2015
Messages
445
Surely even the newest recruit as a train driver has to drive one for the first time at some point?
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
They'd probably also have the maximum speed limited to whatever the safe maximum is for the test track as well
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,878
Im quite tempted to bid for it. Although i would probably make my own way to and from Germany by train rather than taking the flights.

I have to ask though is this safe? Train drivers get over 12 months of training and they are allowing someone to just go over and drive a train if they win the auction! I know it is on a test track and you will have instructors with you but it still just doesnt sound safe to allow someone to drive a train without all of the proper training.
Nothing to be concerned about!

They held a press event at Wildenrath for the 707s and I think the press had a go.

Certainly Stagecoach Rail MD Tim Shoveller had a drive: http://paulbigland.zenfolio.com/p487954781/h799f2abf#h799f2abf

Though I suspect he may have enjoyed driving 41001 more a few weeks ago!
 

ungreat

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2006
Messages
964
I'll wait till we get our 700s and 717s and get paid to do it
I see you have to do it just before the planned Brexit date......do they anticipate problems after this.....;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top