• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,568
Don’t suppose you’d know where they’re advertising? Unlikely, I know.
It’s near impossible to predict. I ask that this thread remains on topic discussing the SWR opportunities, please.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jjaammeess321

New Member
Joined
23 Sep 2026
Messages
2
Location
Whitchurch, Hampshire
Did anyone apply for the Basingstoke trainee train driver position and if so has anyone passed the initial sift or moved onto the next stage? I completed the SJT online assessment back on the 10th and have only heard that I passed that.
 

s01omorg

Member
Joined
28 May 2024
Messages
52
Location
Dorset
Did anyone apply for the Basingstoke trainee train driver position and if so has anyone passed the initial sift or moved onto the next stage? I completed the SJT online assessment back on the 10th and have only heard that I passed that.
I applied for Basingstoke. I'd previously passed the SJT so got the pass e-mail but I've heard nothing since.
 

Bob813

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2026
Messages
8
Location
Sutton
I applied for Waterloo and Strawberry Hill on the same day (10th), passed the SJT’s and nothing since. I don’t think that’s unusual though, like you say there’s loads of applications to get through so, it’s just a waiting game. Good luck though
 

Ducatichick

Member
Joined
30 Nov 2024
Messages
62
Location
South Coast
Hey all

Apologies I've tried to find out some accurate info on the Tea-OCC test with SWR. Hearing so many variations of this test online and I'm starting to get a little psyched out over it.

Please can someone clarify how this test is structured for SWR? As I would just like to be clear of whether I am looking given a directory page of the same profession and it's simply matching symbols-or whether there is the added difficulty of checking business type as well as the double symbols. Also-when counting tones at the same time as scanning the directory-are the high tones omitted and it's counting tones (without the high tone distraction).

Hearing there are so many different variations of this test I'd just like to have a clearer idea of what to expect. Obviously the practice material sent is similar but it's not really that useful.

I am very grateful for any clarification.

Edit-apologies I think I've probably put this in the wrong section-as I was replying to a threat whilst using forum search, so please move if not in the appropriate thread
 

Unobrow

Member
Joined
19 Nov 2024
Messages
237
Location
Manchester
Hey all

Apologies I've tried to find out some accurate info on the Tea-OCC test with SWR. Hearing so many variations of this test online and I'm starting to get a little psyched out over it.

Please can someone clarify how this test is structured for SWR? As I would just like to be clear of whether I am looking given a directory page of the same profession and it's simply matching symbols-or whether there is the added difficulty of checking business type as well as the double symbols. Also-when counting tones at the same time as scanning the directory-are the high tones omitted and it's counting tones (without the high tone distraction).

Hearing there are so many different variations of this test I'd just like to have a clearer idea of what to expect. Obviously the practice material sent is similar but it's not really that useful.

I am very grateful for any clarification.

Edit-apologies I think I've probably put this in the wrong section-as I was replying to a threat whilst using forum search, so please move if not in the appropriate thread
From what I can remember when I did the tests. Both sets of tones are played as per the first part of the test. You’re only looking for the double symbols on the directory. Don’t quote me, it was a few years ago. Just listen carefully to what you’re being told to do, ask if you want clarification when given the chance. Again from memory, when the tones sounded, I stopped searching, counted the tones and then got straight back onto the search which worked for me.
 

Twin82

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2026
Messages
274
Location
Wandsworth Road
Hey all

Apologies I've tried to find out some accurate info on the Tea-OCC test with SWR. Hearing so many variations of this test online and I'm starting to get a little psyched out over it.

Please can someone clarify how this test is structured for SWR? As I would just like to be clear of whether I am looking given a directory page of the same profession and it's simply matching symbols-or whether there is the added difficulty of checking business type as well as the double symbols. Also-when counting tones at the same time as scanning the directory-are the high tones omitted and it's counting tones (without the high tone distraction).

Hearing there are so many different variations of this test I'd just like to have a clearer idea of what to expect. Obviously the practice material sent is similar but it's not really that useful.

I am very grateful for any clarification.

Edit-apologies I think I've probably put this in the wrong section-as I was replying to a threat whilst using forum search, so please move if not in the appropriate thread
Yes. Task one you will hear low and high tones. You’re tasked with counting the low tones. Task 2 you are looking for identical shapes. Eg OO, XX. Task 3 you are tasked with counting the low tones as well as looking for identical shapes. There will be no high tones in this task. Task 3 is sort of a combination of tasks 1 and 2.

What I think throw some ppl off is that they are overthinking the non important info or wording. Eg the steps rather than the tonnes, or the profession rather then the double symbols, and the gauge names (gas, air, etc) rather than the colour priority in the trp2. They all are good exercises to see if you’re able to extract and focus on what’s required rather than waste time on the irrelevant stuff. Hope this makes sense to you
 

Ducatichick

Member
Joined
30 Nov 2024
Messages
62
Location
South Coast
From what I can remember when I did the tests. Both sets of tones are played as per the first part of the test. You’re only looking for the double symbols on the directory. Don’t quote me, it was a few years ago. Just listen carefully to what you’re being told to do, ask if you want clarification when given the chance. Again from memory, when the tones sounded, I stopped searching, counted the tones and then got straight back onto the search which worked for me.

Yes. Task one you will hear low and high tones. You’re tasked with counting the low tones. Task 2 you are looking for identical shapes. Eg OO, XX. Task 3 you are tasked with counting the low tones as well as looking for identical shapes. There will be no high tones in this task. Task 3 is sort of a combination of tasks 1 and 2.

What I think throw some ppl off is that they are overthinking the non important info or wording. Eg the steps rather than the tonnes, or the profession rather then the double symbols, and the gauge names (gas, air, etc) rather than the colour priority in the trp2. They all are good exercises to see if you’re able to extract and focus on what’s required rather than waste time on the irrelevant stuff. Hope this makes sense to you
Thank you both for your replies. I am still unclear as both types of the final test have been mentioned haha. with and without the high tones :lol:
 

Chippychips

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2022
Messages
272
Location
London
Thank you both for your replies. I am still unclear as both types of the final test have been mentioned haha. with and without the high tones :lol:
Think of it as Levels.
The info mentioned is correct. Its "one" task (I.e The Tea-OCC), but there are 3 levels to it.

Level 1 is just counting the low or high (ears only).
Level 2 is no tones, just searching for matching symbols (eyes only).
Level 3 is doing BOTH at the same time (eyes and ears).

Does that help?
 

Pelican82

New Member
Joined
28 Sep 2026
Messages
1
Location
Crowthorne
Hi, I'm new to all of this so apologies if I sound a bit like a record on repeat.
I've applied for a couple of positions over the last week and received the email saying "congratulations you passed the assessment but due to high numbers of applications only the top scorers move forward"
Is there a way to find out if you're in the top scoring bracket or am I right in thinking that they just prioritise the highest scorers and move down the list?

I'm in no rush and I'm quite enjoying just running through all the practice material, however if I didn't pass in the top band I'm thinking this could be a very long process.
 

Top