• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR - Trainee Driver - Recruitment Discussion

Bob813

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2026
Messages
13
Location
Sutton
Yes I heard back yesterday. Unfortunately I failed because I didn’t meet the 400 minimum word requirement on the supporting statement. I only wrote just over 300 words. A silly mistake made by me.
Frustrating. Keep an eye on Basingstoke though, you know where you went wrong. Just need to bump the words up a bit. I applied for Waterloo in June and made the same mistake by 20 words or so which was stupid from me and got rejected because of it. When Waterloo came back up this month I tried to apply but it said I already had an application open. I called them and said I know exactly where I've gone wrong and they re-opened it for me to re-submit it. They were really helpful on the phone.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tawhid03

New Member
Joined
21 Sep 2026
Messages
2
Location
London
I did the tests with SWR in Jan '25, having applied early December '24. This was what I did...
Day One - paper tests...
Group Bourdon
TEA-Occ
TRP 1&2
If you passed that, Day Two a few weeks later was computer tests...
WAFV Vigilance Test
ATAVT Perception Test
2Hand Co-ordination Test.

SWR are National Standard.
I'd imagine they have to accept previously passed tests, but don't quote me on that.

My DMI was next, just over four months later.
Once I passed that, it was about six weeks before my MMI, which unfortunately I failed. They were lining me up for a September course.

Best of luck.
Thanks so much man, this has helped me understand where I am at, I failed tea-occ only a year ago with GTS for the elizibeth line so had to wait a year to re apply so now from what your telling me, I'd assume I will go to the centre to resit Tea occ, then after passing that alone, seperately will be invited to another day at the centre for the WAFV,ATAVT and 2 Hand coordination. Do drop me your details so I can stay in contact with you throughout this process do lmk your instagram or whatsapp! Also any advice on where to practice for the WAFV and the rest of the stage 2 tests. You could message me privately regarding the DMI which you passed so I know what to expect , but once again thank you for all of this.
 

Pelican82

New Member
Joined
28 Sep 2026
Messages
4
Location
Crowthorne
Hey, has anyone who applied for the vacancies on or around the 21st for Strawberry hill, Farnham and or Basingstoke heard anything yet? I have seen a couple of people say that they got a no for Basingstoke because of distance, but has anyone else heard anything back ?
 

Bob813

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2026
Messages
13
Location
Sutton
Hey, has anyone who applied for the vacancies on or around the 21st for Strawberry hill, Farnham and or Basingstoke heard anything yet? I have seen a couple of people say that they got a no for Basingstoke because of distance, but has anyone else heard anything back ?
I applied for Strawberry Hill & Waterloo on 9th September. Had an email Monday 28th for the Waterloo role to book the assessment so just under three weeks between applying and getting the email saying I've progressed. I haven't heard on Strawberry Hill yet but, I'm not sure if that means they don't need to contact me for Strawberry Hill because I've already been given the go ahead for Waterloo, time will tell. So, you might have another week or so to wait for an answer. If others have had emails earlier this week saying no then it might be positive for you. Good luck.
 

Pelican82

New Member
Joined
28 Sep 2026
Messages
4
Location
Crowthorne
I applied for Strawberry Hill & Waterloo on 9th September. Had an email Monday 28th for the Waterloo role to book the assessment so just under three weeks between applying and getting the email saying I've progressed. I haven't heard on Strawberry Hill yet but, I'm not sure if that means they don't need to contact me for Strawberry Hill because I've already been given the go ahead for Waterloo, time will tell. So, you might have another week or so to wait for an answer. If others have had emails earlier this week saying no then it might be positive for you. Good luck.
Ahh that sounds about right the Bob. I'd told myself that I wasn't all that fussed and what will be will be but who am I kidding.
Never been so keen to try and get into a pool, talent or otherwise. Good luck in your assessment
 

Bob813

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2026
Messages
13
Location
Sutton
I know what you mean. Never been so excited about seeing TTD vacancies pop up only to be shot down when you realise it's too far or a mad panic when there's one within 60 minutes and you know it could disappear anytime! Literally driven myself mad checking the SWR job page. Might need to have a chat with someone....
 

Top