Sillylittlekid
New Member
Hi All,
Similar to many other posters in this forum, I have been reported for prosecution after short-faring.
For context, I was stopped on the 12th March by a Revenue Protection Officer with a ticket from Vauxhall - Waterloo (My actual journey is Byfleet & New Haw - Waterloo), and gave the explanation that I was travelling from a girlfriends (I did used to do this from Vauxhall to Waterloo but honestly not for at least a year now). I have subsequently received a letter / email noting that further investigation of my online account has highlighted other potential inconsistencies in my ticket purchase history, and they have taken the step to contact me and initiate a resolution prior to escalation to the case management team.
I am fully aware of not only my ignorance to the issue that this causes for tax-payers (including myself...) but also just how stupid it is to take the risk. After being stopped I checked and found that my Railcard had been expired since July of 2025, I then purchased it straight away so for my next journeys starting from March 15th it would be valid and the discount would apply
Literally since the day I got stopped, I of course made sure my railcard is valid as well as only purchasing the correct tickets, so my lesson is definitely learnt even if this letter had never come, I just hope this is taken into account?
I have a few questions -
1. The short-faring specifically took place from Jan-Mar, with some legitimate journeys from Surbiton (can back this up with parking receipts), I am assuming they will be looking specifically at this time period as that is when the journeys from Vauxhall - Waterloo and vice versa are present? (this totals 45 journeys)
2. For the expired railcard, this was a genuine mistake as I believed I had purchased the 3-year card (not sure as to why I didn't? But regardless its negligence from my side, I just have not been asked to present my Railcard at all during the period it was expired) - will this play into my short-faring? It seems from what I have looked at that the ticket prices for a Single were the same regardless of railcard application, meaning no discount was applied.
3. I am attaching my response to the original email below, please let me know if there is anything I should watch out for mentioning etc in subsequent comms with SWR and if my original email is ok? They mention potential inconsistencies so I wonder how far they will go back / confident they will be to mention a certain number of journeys
I also suffer from anxiety and depression (medicated for both) and due to a basic rate tax code applying on my new job, was pretty low in funds and that definitely contributed to me short-faring from Jan-Mar. I have now adjusted things I needed to, including asking my parents for a reduced rate of rent for the current period, to ensure I always pay my way, as I should, to travel to work. Is it worth mentioning these things in subsequent emails?
ALSO WORTH NOTING THIS IS MY FIRST TIME EVER BEING STOPPED / CAUGHT
MY FIRST RESPONSE:
Dear Mr XXX
I am writing in response to your letter regarding the incident on 12 March 2026.
Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for my actions. I accept that I did not hold a valid ticket for my full journey and I take responsibility for this.
I would also like to apologise for the explanation I gave at the time, which I recognise was not accurate. I was caught off guard and did not handle the situation as I should have. Having reflected on this, I understand that this was wrong, and I am not only disappointed in myself but also embarrassed of my actions.
I genuinely regret my actions. This situation has made me fully appreciate the importance of purchasing the correct ticket, and I can assure you that this will not happen again.
I would be very grateful if you would consider allowing me to resolve this matter without court proceedings. I am more than willing to pay any outstanding fares and administrative costs required to settle this.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my response, and I sincerely apologise again.
Yours sincerely,
XXX
Sorry for the really long post, I am genuinely embarrassed of myself even doing this let alone getting caught, it's been a wake up call for a lot of aspects in my life tbh.
Thanks all
Similar to many other posters in this forum, I have been reported for prosecution after short-faring.
For context, I was stopped on the 12th March by a Revenue Protection Officer with a ticket from Vauxhall - Waterloo (My actual journey is Byfleet & New Haw - Waterloo), and gave the explanation that I was travelling from a girlfriends (I did used to do this from Vauxhall to Waterloo but honestly not for at least a year now). I have subsequently received a letter / email noting that further investigation of my online account has highlighted other potential inconsistencies in my ticket purchase history, and they have taken the step to contact me and initiate a resolution prior to escalation to the case management team.
I am fully aware of not only my ignorance to the issue that this causes for tax-payers (including myself...) but also just how stupid it is to take the risk. After being stopped I checked and found that my Railcard had been expired since July of 2025, I then purchased it straight away so for my next journeys starting from March 15th it would be valid and the discount would apply
Literally since the day I got stopped, I of course made sure my railcard is valid as well as only purchasing the correct tickets, so my lesson is definitely learnt even if this letter had never come, I just hope this is taken into account?
I have a few questions -
1. The short-faring specifically took place from Jan-Mar, with some legitimate journeys from Surbiton (can back this up with parking receipts), I am assuming they will be looking specifically at this time period as that is when the journeys from Vauxhall - Waterloo and vice versa are present? (this totals 45 journeys)
2. For the expired railcard, this was a genuine mistake as I believed I had purchased the 3-year card (not sure as to why I didn't? But regardless its negligence from my side, I just have not been asked to present my Railcard at all during the period it was expired) - will this play into my short-faring? It seems from what I have looked at that the ticket prices for a Single were the same regardless of railcard application, meaning no discount was applied.
3. I am attaching my response to the original email below, please let me know if there is anything I should watch out for mentioning etc in subsequent comms with SWR and if my original email is ok? They mention potential inconsistencies so I wonder how far they will go back / confident they will be to mention a certain number of journeys
I also suffer from anxiety and depression (medicated for both) and due to a basic rate tax code applying on my new job, was pretty low in funds and that definitely contributed to me short-faring from Jan-Mar. I have now adjusted things I needed to, including asking my parents for a reduced rate of rent for the current period, to ensure I always pay my way, as I should, to travel to work. Is it worth mentioning these things in subsequent emails?
ALSO WORTH NOTING THIS IS MY FIRST TIME EVER BEING STOPPED / CAUGHT
MY FIRST RESPONSE:
Dear Mr XXX
I am writing in response to your letter regarding the incident on 12 March 2026.
Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for my actions. I accept that I did not hold a valid ticket for my full journey and I take responsibility for this.
I would also like to apologise for the explanation I gave at the time, which I recognise was not accurate. I was caught off guard and did not handle the situation as I should have. Having reflected on this, I understand that this was wrong, and I am not only disappointed in myself but also embarrassed of my actions.
I genuinely regret my actions. This situation has made me fully appreciate the importance of purchasing the correct ticket, and I can assure you that this will not happen again.
I would be very grateful if you would consider allowing me to resolve this matter without court proceedings. I am more than willing to pay any outstanding fares and administrative costs required to settle this.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my response, and I sincerely apologise again.
Yours sincerely,
XXX
Sorry for the really long post, I am genuinely embarrassed of myself even doing this let alone getting caught, it's been a wake up call for a lot of aspects in my life tbh.
Thanks all