• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR prosecution HELP! (Leaving the country soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

engan

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2025
Messages
7
Location
london
Hi everyone,

I’m really hoping for some advice because I’m feeling extremely stressed and upset with myself.

I was stopped at Waterloo today for having the wrong ticket. I had bought a ticket from Vauxhall to Waterloo, but I had actually travelled from Stoneleigh. It honestly only saved me about 60p per journey, and I realise how foolish this was. I’ve definitely learnt my lesson.

When the officer stopped me, I panicked and insisted that I had come from Vauxhall, even though my ticket hadn’t been scanned there. I ended up giving a confused excuse instead of just admitting the truth. In hindsight, after reading through this forum, I really regret not simply being honest. The officer then issued me a report for possible prosecution and said I would be contacted soon.

My main worry now is that I’m leaving the UK in two weeks and will be away for three months. I won’t be able to receive any letters at my address during that time, and I’m scared that if I don’t respond to their initial letter, it could escalate to court without me knowing.

Should I contact them by email to explain that I will be away and ask if they can correspond with me electronically instead? The officer only took my postal address, not my email, so I’m not sure what the best approach is.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. I feel incredibly stupid for getting myself into this situation—especially over such a small amount of money—and as a student, this is causing me a lot of anxiety.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,245
Have they issued you with any paperwork that contains a reference number? If so then you could try emailing them and asking that they communicate only via email for the reasons you have given the forum?if not then the problem will be getting any email you send matched to the case file which may not even be created for a while.
If not is there a trusted friend you can ask to go to your postal address and open and scan any email to you?
 

engan

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2025
Messages
7
Location
london
Have they issued you with any paperwork that contains a reference number? If so then you could try emailing them and asking that they communicate only via email for the reasons you have given the forum?if not then the problem will be getting any email you send matched to the case file which may not even be created for a while.
If not is there a trusted friend you can ask to go to your postal address and open and scan any email to you?
They did, there is an email address on the slip of paper. But I was told explicitly by the officer to not reach out to contact them but to wait for them to contact me. Also after reading a lot of threads here, I see people advising that the best way is not to contact them? So I don’t know what to do…
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,315
They did, there is an email address on the slip of paper. But I was told explicitly by the officer to not reach out to contact them but to wait for them to contact me. Also after reading a lot of threads here, I see people advising that the best way is not to contact them? So I don’t know what to do…
Just send a very simple message stating your ref number and address so they can match your details and ask for any follow up communication to be by e mail as you will be abroad between x and y dates.

Don’t talk about anything else in that message. Just that you will be away but they can contact you by email.

But if your address can be checked by a trusted friend to look for post make that arrangement.

It’s vital you receive communication from them and respond or it will escalate to court automatically.
 

engan

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2025
Messages
7
Location
london
Just send a very simple message stating your ref number and address so they can match your details and ask for any follow up communication to be by e mail as you will be abroad between x and y dates.

Don’t talk about anything else in that message. Just that you will be away but they can contact you by email.

But if your address can be checked by a trusted friend to look for post make that arrangement.

It’s vital you receive communication from them and respond or it will escalate to court automatically.
Thanks for your guidance. Do you think this email is ok?
Dear Sir or Madam,



I am writing regarding reference number —-, issued to me at London Waterloo Station on 7 December 2025. My details are as follows:

Name:
Date of birth:
Current address:

I will be abroad from 24 December 2025 until 28 February 2026 and will not be able to receive post at my UK address. Please send all correspondence during this period to the following email address:—-

If preferred, I can also provide an overseas postal address.

Thank you for your assistance.





Kind regards,
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,315
Thanks for your guidance. Do you think this email is ok?
Dear Sir or Madam,



I am writing regarding reference number —-, issued to me at London Waterloo Station on 7 December 2025. My details are as follows:

Name:
Date of birth:
Current address:

I will be abroad from 24 December 2025 until 28 February 2026 and will not be able to receive post at my UK address. Please send all correspondence during this period to the following email address:—-

If preferred, I can also provide an overseas postal address.

Thank you for your assistance.





Kind regards,
Yes. That’s the sort of thing I was thinking of.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,315
Thanks, do you think I should I expect a reply from them?
sorry - I don't know the answer to that. You might get some sort of e-mail acknowledging receipt of it or them noting it. That might not happen immediately if your message does not generate an auto reply.

Have you sent it in?

You need to appreciate they will be very busy so it may take a while before anything at all happens.
 

engan

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2025
Messages
7
Location
london
sorry - I don't know the answer to that. You might get some sort of e-mail acknowledging receipt of it or them noting it. That might not happen immediately if your message does not generate an auto reply.

Have you sent it in?

You need to appreciate they will be very busy so it may take a while before anything at all happens.
Yes, I’ve sent it in. But they didn’t send an auto reply or anything. I do understand that they are quite busy.

But I just don’t know if they will see it or reply to this further down the line.

I really am happy to pay whatever amount they require to settle out of court but I just dread not being able to receive anything from them and this escalating to court :((
But I guess there really is nothing I can do other than wait…
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,315
Yes, I’ve sent it in. But they didn’t send an auto reply or anything. I do understand that they are quite busy.

But I just don’t know if they will see it or reply to this further down the line.

I really am happy to pay whatever amount they require to settle out of court but I just dread not being able to receive anything from them and this escalating to court :((
But I guess there really is nothing I can do other than wait…
Yes, afraid so - just have to wait for now.
At a hunch I would say there is a good chance they will do as you are requesting - it shows you want to co-operate with them and that is the key to getting this resolved.
 

engan

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2025
Messages
7
Location
london
Yes, afraid so - just have to wait for now.
At a hunch I would say there is a good chance they will do as you are requesting - it shows you want to co-operate with them and that is the key to getting this resolved.
Thank you for your reassurance. I will update once I receive anything from them. Thanks a lot again!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Sorry just one more question, if the out if court fee is full fare + admin charge, how do I prove which station I actually got on/off? (As there is no gate at stoneleigh station) So how is the full fare determined?
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,315
Thank you for your reassurance. I will update once I receive anything from them. Thanks a lot again!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Sorry just one more question, if the out if court fee is full fare + admin charge, how do I prove which station I actually got on/off? (As there is no gate at stoneleigh station) So how is the full fare determined?
Did you tell them when questioned? They probably will ask you and may look for supporting evidence eg do you live near that station or can you prove you were there within reasonable grounds. Eg if you bought something in a shop there that day find and keep any receipt you have or proof of payment for example.
If you live somewhere else they might want you to show why you didn’t start at station near your home etc.
think about how you can answer those questions but don’t be tempted to lie as if it did end up in court lieing won’t go down well.
 

engan

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2025
Messages
7
Location
london
Did you tell them when questioned? They probably will ask you and may look for supporting evidence eg do you live near that station or can you prove you were there within reasonable grounds. Eg if you bought something in a shop there that day find and keep any receipt you have or proof of payment for example.
If you live somewhere else they might want you to show why you didn’t start at station near your home etc.
think about how you can answer those questions but don’t be tempted to lie as if it did end up in court lieing won’t go down well.
Thats what I regret because I insisted that I came from Vauxhall instead of admitting that I came from stoneleigh when I was questioned… and since I’m staying with a friend I can’t prove this with my address. I don’t remember buying anything around the station either, so this might be very challenging to proof.
The only thing I can think of is that I did end up using my bank card when I was traveling back from Waterloo to stoneleigh for my return journey. Could they check my travel details from my bank card as well?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,315
The only thing I can think of is that I did end up using my bank card when I was traveling back from Waterloo to stoneleigh for my return journey. Could they check my travel details from my bank card as well?
I doubt they would do that really, but in theory they might be able to.

But they may be prepared to believe you. It’s something to address if they ask you about it really.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top