• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR not having Refunds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainTube

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2018
Messages
487
I bought an anytime travelcard for fare zones 1-6 from Berrylands at 17:50 costing £18.10. My train to London was cancelled meaning I couldn't travel at all so I was forced to abandon the trip. My stations Ticket office was closed the day after so I checked online. I applied for a refund, sent proof that I bought the ticket and waited. Its been 12 days since and no reply. I recently went into Surbiton ticket office asking for a refund, and the woman at the till was pretty much useless, just handed me a card with the email on saying you had to go to the station on the day. I told her that the ticket office was closed and she just didn't give any answer. What should I do???
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
To be honest as it's only been twelve days then I'd wait at least another few weeks before chasing it. TOCs can at least three to four weeks (others much much longer) to reply to correspondence.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
I believe that you can only get a refund from a ticket office if it's the same ticket office as the ticket was bought from and, I think, if you apply for that refund as soon as you become aware of an issue that causes you to abandon your journey.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
I believe that you can only get a refund from a ticket office if it's the same ticket office as the ticket was bought from and, I think, if you apply for that refund as soon as you become aware of an issue that causes you to abandon your journey.

The NRCoT is actually much more lenient about when you claim in this situation:
NRCoT said:
30.1. If the train you intended to use is cancelled, delayed, or your reservation will not be honoured, and you decide not to travel, you may return the unused Ticket to the original retailer or Train Company from whom it was purchased, where you will be given a full refund with no administration fee being charged.

This Condition applies to all Tickets, including Tickets (such as advance Tickets) that are otherwise non-refundable, and also applies if you have begun your journey but are unable to complete it due to delay or cancellations and return to your point of origin.

30.2. When applying for a refund under this Condition you will need to state the date, time and station where you would otherwise have started your journey from. You must write to the Train Company to notify them of your claim within 28 days of the date that you intended to travel.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
The NRCoT is actually much more lenient about when you claim in this situation:

I agree in regards to writing in to get a refund but I'm not sure about actually getting a refund from a ticket office as the NRCoT aren't 100% clear on timescales in the situation of getting the refund from a ticket office:

30.4. Where you have bought the Ticket from a Ticket office immediately before you intended to travel, you should be able to get this refund straight away by the same means with which you paid, from the Ticket office where you bought your Ticket.

You could certainly read that as meaning that at any time you can get a refund from the same ticket office you bought it from but equally it could also be read the way that I've always treated it (you should ask the ticket office the ticket was bought from as soon as you're aware of the issue).

But 100% you have twenty-eight days to write into the retailer to get a refund that's unarguable.
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
I believe that you can only get a refund from a ticket office if it's the same ticket office as the ticket was bought from.

Not necessairily. I was doing agency work on a night shift at Gatwick and was using a weekly Gatwick-zones 5/6 travelcard. The ticket expired on Monday so after finishing my shift on Monday morning, at Gatwick I bought a new ticket to run from the following day, so I had the old ticket to travel in on Monday night and the new one to come home on Tuesday morning. Went home, went to bed, later in the day I was woken by a phone call from the agency saying the client no longer needed me to go in for the remainder of the week. Went to my local station, explained the situation and was given a full refund-at this point of course it was still Monday so the ticket obviously hadn't been used.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
There is, of course, room for the rules to be one way and for helpful staff to act in another ;)
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,227
I believe that you can only get a refund from a ticket office if it's the same ticket office as the ticket was bought from and, I think, if you apply for that refund as soon as you become aware of an issue that causes you to abandon your journey.

On the only recent occasion I've needed a refund after abandoning a journey I was told it had to be from the same ticket machine!

Which was particularly annoying since that particular booking clerk was in the middle of issuing a complex ticket linked to an equally complex railcard. So I had to wait the thick end of 20 minutes!
 

TrainTube

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2018
Messages
487
Off-peak travelcards are valid from 09:30 to 04:29(?) the following morning, there is no evening peak restrictions for journeys solely within the zones
My bad, I always thought there was evening peak from 1630 to 1900. Still of peak would have cost more than a tenner.
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
My bad, I always thought there was evening peak from 1630 to 1900. Still of peak would have cost more than a tenner.
Some Oyster journeys are charged at the peak rate if you tap in between 16:00 and 19:00. And numerous Off-Peak Day or Off-Peak Period tickets have evening peak restrictions out of London. But Off-Peak Travelcards are only not valid between 04:30 and 09:29.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top