• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR - Investigation on short faring

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfcot123

New Member
Joined
7 Nov 2025
Messages
2
Location
Surrey
I am being investigated after being caught short faring earlier in the year. For a couple of years now I have been purchasing return tickets via TrainLine from Vauxhall or Clapham Junction to Waterloo when my actual starting point was further out (2 stops out from start of Zone 6 TFL). Completely putting my hands up... it was a silly thing to do.
When I was stopped by a officer I was honest and gave them all of my details, they provided me with a slip explaining what could happen next and yesterday I received a email asking for me to explain the journeys that I have made over the past 2 and a half years or so.
What is the best way to respond to this, I want to be honest and show willing to cooperate, I know I am going to be in line for a fine which I can swallow up but I really don't want this to escalate to court or for me to have any potential criminal record.
To confirm I was purchasing these tickets via the TrainLine, also using a 26-30 railcard when I was eligible for one (I have proof of owning these railcards).

Any help on responding to this email will be incredibly appreciated!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,132
The best response is to apologise, promise not to do it again, and ask very nicely if they would consider an out of court settlement.

And start saving, if you have been doing this for such a long time, as they will expect payment promptly if they offer you a settlement.

If you post the correspondence you have received, suitably aninymised, and a draft of your reply, experts here will ensure you say the right things.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

The only caveat to this advice is if they caught you over 6 months ago, when they cannot prosecute you.
 

wolfcot123

New Member
Joined
7 Nov 2025
Messages
2
Location
Surrey
Thanks, here is the letter I recieved, should it change my response...


An Officer from South Western Railway spoke to you on Wednesday 30th July 2025 at London Waterloo railway station regarding your rail travel on that day. Further information is required from you to ensure that South Western Railway have all the facts and information at hand before coming to a decision regarding your case. We have requested and received your journey history under a rail industry data sharing agreement.

On Wednesday 30th July 2025 you were asked to show a valid rail ticket but you were unable to do this. The ticket you showed was only from Clapham Junction to London Waterloo and you admitted to travelling from XXXXXXX. Please explain your journey on this day by replying to this email.

Our records show that from 8th February 2023 similar tickets were purchased and used for various journeys between Vauxhall, Clapham Junction and London Waterloo which were only ever scanned in or out at one end of the journey. Note that Vauxhall, Clapham Junction and London Waterloo stations have automatic ticket barriers which record the ticket scans.

Please explain the journeys that you have made since 8th February 2023.

Our records also show that you have used a 26-30 railcard on various journeys. Please send proof that you have had this valid railcard for the journeys in which a 26-30 railcard discount was claimed dating back to 19th May 2021.

If you fail to respond, this matter may proceed to Court and formal proceedings may follow.

If the matter were to proceed to Court, ticket scan data and CCTV may be produced as evidence.


Yours sincerely
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,132
So they are well in time to prosecute you, so no, it doesn’t change the advice given.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,340
And they know about historic evasion. If you think they might be wrong about any of it you can politely ask them for a breakdown of travel they think has been undertaken without a valid ticket so you can check this against your own records. They usually do that.

They will want you to pay for new tickets for each occasion at the full Anytime fare. It will add up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top