• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR class 455 wi-fi/phone etc issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifelong

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2019
Messages
117
Hello there

Hopefully this is in the right place, a very mysterious issue for me, can’t work it out at all.

I have recently changed my iPhone to a new SE, having had an old one for a long time. I also have a 7 for work. I’ve never had any real issue w the train wi-fi until this upgrade. Essentially - and I promise I’m not going mad - I have zero issues w the phone apart from when I’m on the train. When it freezes and sometimes needs to be turned off entirely.

I have tested this during the week and there have been no problems at all w the phone at home, travelling off train etc. Only on the train. Neither of the 2 other phones I mention above have ever had any issues.

One last point - I do have Bluetooth headphones, could this make a difference at all?

apologies for the confused Email but this is really happening and I wondered if there were any known issues with the wi-fi on the stock etc that could be causing this? Cheers
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,021
I've not had a problem with the phone freezing, but for what it's worth, I find SWR's wifi on Desiros to be almost completely useless. My phone connects to it, but I can rarely get any websites to load. I find no problem using GWR or TfW on-train wifi with the same phone, including on the North Downs line (in SWR territory).
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
I’m pretty sure it’s a problem with recent iPhones although I couldn’t find anything online about this. My iPhone 11 would totally lock up and become unusably laggy when I was at home.

I managed to figure out it was due to the home WiFi network. To use the phone at home, I would have to go into the Settings app and turn WiFi off. You need to do it in the Settings app and not Control Centre, as the toggle in Control Centre does not turn WiFi fully off.

To fix the issue, go into Settings app > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

You will then be able to use that WiFi network again. Doing that once has fixed it for 10 months for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top