• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Switzerland: "Golden Pass Express" reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,000
The "Golden Pass Express" gauge-changing trains between Interlaken and Montreux has a reservation fee of CHF20 in second class.

Their web site clearly says: "Seat reservations are optional but highly recommended."

This seems a rather high price for a reservation that isn't a compulsory reservation acting effectively as a supplement.

At the moment their booking engine seems to claim plenty of free seats even on imminent departures (and only shows 1 first class and 2 second class coaches on the seat selector even though I think trains are longer).

Does anyone know if this really mean the likelihood is that I could just turn up and use a regular ticket or is there something I'm missing?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nwales58

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2022
Messages
1,365
Location
notsure
Although marked ‘please reserve’ the only compulsory reservation/supplement is for the Prestige 40 cm raised seats.

I don’t know if the new through Interlaken trains get full, it’s likely some services are used by asian tour groups.

If you hit a busy one, I’d change onto the standard hourly, non gauge changing, service from Zweisimmen.

In May the Ascension-Pentecost ‘bridge’ period will be busier, I’d go before then.
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
Switzerland has suffered badly from overtourism in recent years and the MOB railway now feels the need to cover its back by stating that reservation is recommended. However whilst it remains 'recommended' and not 'obligatory' you can safely turn up and board any train if you already have a valid ticket eg an SDP or STP.

Obviously - as with any popular train, being ready to jump on the moment the empty coaches run into the departure platform give you a better chance of a decent seat.
 

DanielB

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2020
Messages
1,456
Location
Amersfoort, NL
Having done that line last year on a regular train, I didn't experience it as extremely busy. There may be tour groups with reservations, but I noticed they're usually in the more luxury sections in the driving trailers.
Last year I chose the old second class car in the middle despite having a first class Interrail, as that car had opening windows. It only filled up during the journey, but the first section from Zweisimmen is relatively quiet.
 

peterblue

Member
Joined
25 Jun 2018
Messages
614
Location
Lancashire
It's optional. I've done it without a reservation in 2nd class. From my experience, it isn't particularly busy and you should be fine if you turn up. The last stretch of the line descending down into Montreux is very nice.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
Did it a month ago and the train was dead. Though it was a Sunday afternoon...
 

Snapper37

Member
Joined
11 May 2021
Messages
74
Location
Hook Norton
Done it twice in the last year, both times 0905 departure from Interlaken. First time, in June, second time April. Both times we were accommodated without issue. First trip had to share a bay of four, second time got a bay to ourself. Enjoy it’s a great ride. Be aware the coach next to the loco is not a through coach.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,000
Thanks for all the responses.

Done it twice in the last year, both times 0905 departure from Interlaken. First time, in June, second time April. Both times we were accommodated without issue. First trip had to share a bay of four, second time got a bay to ourself. Enjoy it’s a great ride. Be aware the coach next to the loco is not a through coach.

Yes I've been watching Youtube vidoes of the whole process.
I think it's the only time I've come across a translator coach you can travel in.

Still don't know if I will get the chance to go on it, but want to be prepared if I can - and I'm sure I will enjoy it if I do.

I don't think I've come across anything before with such a high reservation charge that really is just a seat reservation.
Then again I haven't come across trains that switch themselves between narrow and standard gauge either.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top