• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SVR Spring Diesel Festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
I've just looked at the lineup for the SVR Spring Diesel Festival. According to their website the lineup is as follows:
Spring Diesel Festival
Our Spring Diesel Festival is back with a bang: three days of visiting heritage and modern diesel locomotives, home-fleet action, evening running and one or two surprises!

Following the hugely successful event last year, 2017's diesel bonanza brings great opportunities for visiting locomotives and, with the lighter evenings, we are sure that May will be a hit with those who love the sounds of English Electric, Maybach and Sulzer diesel engines!

The event, and theme, will mark the 30th anniversary of the first Severn Valley Railway Diesel Gala. Additionally, the festival will celebrate two other milestones: the 40th anniversary of the last Class 52 runs on British Railways, and the 25th anniversary of the first Class 50 runs on the SVR. Lookout for a number of special attractions to make these poignant occasions.
Visiting locomotives:

Class 17 No. D8568
With thanks to The Diesel Traction Group

Class 20 No. 20189
With thanks to Michael Owen

Class 20 No. 20205
With thanks to Michael Owen

Class 31 No. 31271
With thanks to A1A Locomotives Ltd

Class 33 No. 33035
With thanks to The Pioneer Diesel Group

Class 33 No. 33108
With thanks to Class 33/1 Preservation Company

Class 45 No. 45041 Royal Tank Regiment
With thanks to Peak Locomotive Co Ltd

Class 45 No. 45060 Sherwood Forester
With thanks to The Pioneer Diesel Group

Class 47 No. 47192
With thanks to Crewe Heritage Trust

Class 47 No. 47828
With thanks to D05 Preservation Ltd & Dartmoor Railway

Class 50 No. 50008 Thunderer
With thanks to Garcia Hanson

Class 55 No. 55022 Royal Scots Grey
With thanks Martin Walker

Class 66 No. 66xxx
With thanks to GBRf

Class 73 No. 73xxx
With thanks to GBRf

Class 60 No. 60xxx
With thanks to DB Cargo UK

Class 88 No. 88xxx
With thanks to DRS

The fantastic selection of visiting locomotives and special attractions will be supported by members of our home fleet, including: No. D2961, No. D3586, No. D4100 or No. 12099, Class 14 No. D9551, Class 50s No. 50031 Hood, No. 50035 Ark Royal and No. 50049 Defiance, Class 52s No. D1015 Western Champion and No. D1062 Western Courier (to appear in BR Blue!!). All locomotives are subject to availability.

I make that potentially 9 locomotives from the home fleet and fully 16 visitors... that's a pool of 25 locomotives to pick from. That seems extraordinarily large to for a 3-day gala!

Have I understood correctly? Assuming that not all the home fleet will run, how will they manage to give each loco enough of a run to make it worthwhile the hire/running fees?

Sounds like it will be excellent though - please don't mistake this for criticism!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,954
Location
Devon
I think the number was similar last year and on the whole it worked very well. It was a bit tricky getting everything in and that was why we opted to do it over two days (we're doing the same this year). I think probably a third of the stuff I wouldn't do anyway as I'm either not interested or had it before.
Last year it was absolutely heaving on the Saturday so I tried to get the stuff I needed on the Friday and then stayed on the quieter trains on the Saturday.
It's great to see the effort the SVR have gone too.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,954
Location
Devon
This'll be 26 years since I went to my first Severn Valley diesel gala and about 30 years since I first went to the railway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top