• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
I've just popped out to the local Asda for some essentials and it wasn't overly busy. What did strike me though is how many people are no longer sanitisng their hands or trolly handles. I watched at least a dozen people simply walk past the cleaning station which wouldn't have happened a month or two ago. Although anecdotal it suggests to me that more and more people are fed up with the whole thing and can't be bothered with it anymore.
Trolley wiping was all theatre anyway. After all, you then go around the supermarket touching the stuff on the shelves. Hand washing afterwards is the corect thing to do.

In any case the vast vast majority of Covid spread is via airborne droplets, not touch. It's not impossible to pick it up via surface to airway transmission but you'd have to every unlucky.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,404
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Had a queue at my local Sainsburys (not seen this in ages), mind you back in March it was my ASDA that had a long queue, at a guess the queue I seen today was down to being Christmas and plus shops closed Boxing Day onwards (lockdown)?

My neighbour went to Tesco’s late yesterday evening and reports that it was very busy with significant gaps on the shelves, though of course neither of these things are necessarily abnormal for the days leading up to Christmas. Apparently they were enforcing limits on some items including toilet rolls, rice and pasta.
 

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
30 Jun 2005
Messages
8,867
Location
Rugby
I went to Tesco this morning just after 7. I didn't spot any gaps on the shelves. It was busy but no queue to get in. It was probably as busy as it would have been any other year a few days before Christmas.
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
I don't understand why people strip out the fruit and veg when it does not keep and it's awful stuff when it's going off.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Presumably because that's what we've been told there might be shortages of. Panic buying ensues.


Ooh we could blame the media on that one, I bet the bosses at the TV networks are enjoying this chaos.

I think 2020 has shown how the media aren’t exactly clean cut as they made out to be, just the same as some politicians, maybe 2021 it’ll be a game changer for all
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,143
Location
Redcar
Ooh we could blame the media on that one, I bet the bosses at the TV networks are enjoying this chaos.

I think 2020 has shown how the media aren’t exactly clean cut as they made out to be, just the same as some politicians, maybe 2021 it’ll be a game changer for all

Blame Tesco and Sainsburys for explicity listing which fresh produce could potentially go short. Idiots.

If you tell everyone lettuce might be an issue then everyone is going to try and do a Prawn Cocktail starter.
 

MP33

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2011
Messages
634
I do not need much, but I do need a lettuce. I am going down Tescos very early before I start homeworking. I would do this anyway before Christmas as there are car parking problems later. Last time I was there the queue was about to start then a stream of people left the store and the queue went away. I noticed that there were piles of some fresh vegetables and last week there was so much lamb it was half price.

There is always market day in the town on Wednesday. That was useful when I managed to get everything except eggs at the Supermarket.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
No shortages on Doncaster market today, which actually made me feel vaguely festive: buskers, stalls selling wreathes, decorations and tinsel, lots of people not exactly 2m apart but respecting each other.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
I don't understand why people strip out the fruit and veg when it does not keep and it's awful stuff when it's going off.
For exactly the same reason that people buy far more than they need at Christmas in normal times. Much of it ends up being wasted.

Blame Tesco and Sainsburys for explicity listing which fresh produce could potentially go short. Idiots.

If you tell everyone lettuce might be an issue then everyone is going to try and do a Prawn Cocktail starter.
If Government doesn't listen or understand how important Dover is in the food supply chain (and they have consistently shown throughout Brexit that they don't) then I don't think we can blame supermarkets for going public.
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
For exactly the same reason that people buy far more than they need at Christmas in normal times. Much of it ends up being wasted.


If Government doesn't listen or understand how important Dover is in the food supply chain (and they have consistently shown throughout Brexit that they don't) then I don't think we can blame supermarkets for going public.


Could we add this under the file of possibly another "leak" ? ... which I agree with that the UK Government seem to have grasped?
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
I was at Waitrose this evening. Everything was in stock except for the toilet roll section
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Both Morrison & Lidl today quieter than you would normally expect a couple of days before Christmas. Presumably less people about (or in store for shorter time) as they are not stocking up for the usual larger get togethers.

Shelves seemed fully stocked.
 

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2016
Messages
3,497
Location
Over The Hill
Did my last shop of the year at my local ASDA earlier. Toilet paper was sparse but available and pasta was down to the cheapest own brands only. Fruit and veg was undeniably plentiful with extra displays out so absolutely no signs of shortages except, bizarrely in my view, potatoes. UHT milk was a little low but that could simply have been down to turnover. Everything else was absolutely normal. I suspect that where shortages do exist that the individual locations have simply been unlucky. Not so sure I'll be quite so positive next week but I shouldn't need to shop again until the second week of January.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,162
Location
Elginshire
What is it with bloody toilet roll??!

I ordered my groceries at the weekend because I knew delivery slots would be scarce (£6 for a 9-11pm was a bit hard to swallow when it's normally only £2.50, but that's separate moan!)

I received the email receipt from Asda this afternoon and everything was fine, bar a few substitutes which were acceptable and the missing cludgie paper. When the driver arrived he more or less indicated that it was people panic-buying again and apologised profusely, despite it not being anywhere near his fault. I did phone and make a complaint, as they made no attempt to substitute with another brand. The most annoying thing was that the app was showing the product I wanted in stock, although I appreciate that they've perhaps received more stock since the van set out.
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,755
Location
Midlands
This morning on my way to work ( last planned working day until 4th Jan 21 ) I went into an ASDA superstore for the last few items fresh and chilled I needed to have everything until next Tuesday / Wednesday. I hope by then we are not in Tier 4 so all shops are still open rather than those with money burning a hole in their pocket and / or want an escape from home all piling into the essential shops.

It wasn't busy although by the time I left, almost 8:30, there were more people arriving.

At the entrance one staff member was wiping the baskets and ahead of me one couple were wiping their trolley so I stood back. Behind me an elderly woman was pushing her trolley into me. I turned round and said " 2 metres spacing " but it didn't register.

I just wanted to be out ASAP so didn't look around but where I went no significant gaps. A couple of items I had listed as possibilities I couldn't find. To me not surprising though as while a large store it concentrates on basic rather than premium items. I guess this is a reflection on the location.


What is it with bloody toilet roll??!

A discussion had many times since March without a logical conclusion. At no time has ' the trots, Dehli Belly, ... ' been a symptom or side effect of Covid-19 infection nor has there any suggestion of significantly reduced production or distribution.
 
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
I'm waiting for someone to come on and say.....

"I was at Fortnum & Mason this Evening and........"

Or is it closed like a lot of London ?
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,079
Not exactly supermarkets but can places like coffee shops open in Tier 4, takeaway only of course?
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
Not exactly supermarkets but can places like coffee shops open in Tier 4, takeaway only of course?

Yes, they can operate as takeaways.

I am pleased that, a few weeks ago, I started to build up my tinned and frozen supplies again. Not panic buying, but making sure I could survive without leaving the house for two weeks in case I needed to isolate, or indeed if we had a harsh winter or Brexit caused problems. All this allows me to avoid the shops, despite the fact I now need meals for the next few days, as my plans to stay with family are cancelled.
 

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2016
Messages
6,079
Yes, they can operate as takeaways.

I am pleased that, a few weeks ago, I started to build up my tinned and frozen supplies again. Not panic buying, but making sure I could survive without leaving the house for two weeks in case I needed to isolate, or indeed if we had a harsh winter or Brexit caused problems. All this allows me to avoid the shops, despite the fact I now need meals for the next few days, as my plans to stay with family are cancelled.

Thank you for clarifying and I'm sorry to hear that your family plans are cancelled. Unfortunately it's a similar story the world over this year. I am seeing my mum only this year (bubble) and then only for a couple of days

Mods please move these to the Tiers thread if you deem them more appropriate there, thank you.
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
When we are living in the Mad Max-esque hellscape which 2021 will undoubtedly be, bog roll will be the most valuable currency.
Tesco had sold out of bog roll, but fortunately the newspaper stand was well stocked with copies of the Daily Mail.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm sorry to hear that your family plans are cancelled. Unfortunately it's a similar story the world over this year. I am seeing my mum only this year (bubble) and then only for a couple of days
Oh, thank you. I know I'm only one of many people affected and for others it's a lot worse than it is for me.

The relevance to this thread is that I had carefully planned how much shopping I needed, so people like me are no doubt contributing to the Christmas rush. On the other hand, my mum will probably be eating Christmas goodies until Easter! She has a Turkey to feed eight in the freezer, but only two guests, one of whom is vegetarian!
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Joyously coming out of isolation so did a recce at the local M+S , bursting with fresh produce and everything very well stocked. Modestly busy. Absolutely no sign of any panic buying frenzy.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Tesco had sold out of bog roll, but fortunately the newspaper stand was well stocked with copies of the Daily Mail.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Oh, thank you. I know I'm only one of many people affected and for others it's a lot worse than it is for me.

The relevance to this thread is that I had carefully planned how much shopping I needed, so people like me are no doubt contributing to the Christmas rush. On the other hand, my mum will probably be eating Christmas goodies until Easter! She has a Turkey to feed eight in the freezer, but only two guests, one of whom is vegetarian!

She can make the leftover cooked turkey into a curry and freeze it again.

Just waiting for my Iceland delivery, (haha Butts not quite F&M but near enough :lol: ) - they email in the morning of the delivery date to tell you what's missing, only grapes and broccoli today which is a pleasant surprise considering the other day a Tesco delivery had Branston beans missing (the only ones OH likes), so I presumed that was on the panic buyers list, but seems Iceland have plenty.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Incidentally, if anyone is struggling for a delivery try Iceland, they always seem to have plenty of slots available, and it's free delivery if you spend £35+.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,837
Location
Stirlingshire
She can make the leftover cooked turkey into a curry and freeze it again.

Just waiting for my Iceland delivery, (haha Butts not quite F&M but near enough :lol: ) - they email in the morning of the delivery date to tell you what's missing, only grapes and broccoli today which is a pleasant surprise considering the other day a Tesco delivery had Branston beans missing (the only ones OH likes), so I presumed that was on the panic buyers list, but seems Iceland have plenty.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Incidentally, if anyone is struggling for a delivery try Iceland, they always seem to have plenty of slots available, and it's free delivery if you spend £35+.

Peasant :E

With F&M it probably comes by Horse and Carriage !!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top