Hi everyone,
yesterday I received a court summons from Northern Rail for not purchasing a ticket back in October. They have stated that they are claiming the £5.60 fare plus £100 compensation. I haven't received any penalty notices or anything like that since the incident in October. I have been asked to tick one of 3 options on the form:
1. I accept the evidence and plead guilty, and would like the court to deal with the matter in my absence. Also that I submit a statement of mitigation and financial circumstances.
2. I accept the evidence and plead guilty, and will attend court.
3. I intend to plead not guilty. The case will be adjourned until a new hearing date when witnesses/solicitor can attend.
I'm really not sure what to tick. Please read my statement of mitigation below that I am at the moment intending to submit.
On the 31st October 2013 I travelled from **** to Manchester Victoria by train. I had just started a new job contracted to Network Rail based at Manchester Picadilly train station and this was my first time ever travelling to Manchester by train. On arrival at the station at **** I saw that the ticket office was open but there wasnt a member of staff sat behind the desk. I waited a good few minutes and still no one came. In the end I had to just go for the train as I would have missed it if I had waited any longer. I thought there might be a ticket conductor on the train whom I could speak to regarding a ticket. However, the train was ridiculously over packed, with not only all the seats full but the aisles completely full to bursting as well, and a ticket conductor didnt pass through the train during the journey. I assumed that I could speak to someone regarding a ticket once I had gotten off the train. At this point in time I was 12 weeks pregnant and suffering from severe morning sickness. Due to this and the train being so packed that Id had to stand up the entire journey feeling sick and dizzy, and the fact that it was my first time travelling by train to Manchester I understandably missed my connecting stop and instead of travelling to Manchester Picadilly I ended up at Manchester Victoria. I was upset as I knew this would make me late for work in my new job and I didnt know how to get from Manchester Victoria to Picadilly. I spoke to the ticket inspectors in Manchester Victoria and explained what had happened and asked if I could purchase a ticket somewhere and also if they could inform me how to get to Manchester Picadilly. They said that it was fine and showed me where to purchase a ticket. As I was stood in the queue to purchase a ticket another member of staff came over and very abruptly asked me to follow him as he needed to speak to me, which I did. The member of staff informed me that he was a Revenue Protection Officer. He asked me why I hadnt purchased a ticket at Hindley. I explained about the ticket office being empty and I also explained why I hadnt been able to purchase one on the train and that I was now trying to purchase one. I explained to him about working at Manchester Picadilly, that this was my first time travelling to Manchester by train and about getting lost. I repeatedly asked if I could purchase a ticket and go to work but the Revenue Protection Officer stated that I had to be issued a fine and that he needed to process all my details. I explained that I was pregnant and felt unwell and asked if I could sit down somewhere whilst he processed my details but he refused and said that I had to stand with him. We went through the process of me providing my details and him processing them which took approximately 10 minutes, all the while I was stood there feeling unwell. In fact, the Revenue Protection Officer was rude and abrupt throughout the whole process and clearly lacked any people skills.
I wrote a letter of complaint to Northern Rail regarding this matter and stated that I have no problem paying the fare but that I felt that I should be given an apology first.
I have received no subsequent contact from Northern Rail regarding neither the fine nor my complaint. I assumed that due to the circumstances and my complaint that the matter had been dropped. This whole matter has left me with a very low opinion of Northern Rail and if it wasnt for necessity I certainly wouldnt be using their services.
Due to continued work at Manchester Picadilly I have continued to travel by train from ****. In the months since this incident I have found on numerous occasions that the ticket office is opened but seems unmanned. Now that I am able to recognise the staff that regularly work there I have often spotted them around the station undertaking various jobs and have also spotted one particular staff member stood at the front of the station smoking. Clearly at these times people are unable to purchase tickets from the ticket office. Also, it is certainly not an unusual case for the trains to be soo heavily packed that the ticket conductors are completely unable to pass through the train to check or issue tickets. I feel that it is extremely unfair of Northern Rail to penalise people who are unable to purchase tickets due to a poor service.
I know that some of the above is a rant but I'm just soo annoyed.
Or should I ring Northern Rail and try to speak to someone regarding this and try to get it dropped? Obviously I never had any intent to not pay at all, I did try to purchase a ticket. Please bear in mind that the train station that I travelled from is only small and has only one member of staff on duty at any one time so I couldn't simply go and ask another member of staff about a ticket.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions
yesterday I received a court summons from Northern Rail for not purchasing a ticket back in October. They have stated that they are claiming the £5.60 fare plus £100 compensation. I haven't received any penalty notices or anything like that since the incident in October. I have been asked to tick one of 3 options on the form:
1. I accept the evidence and plead guilty, and would like the court to deal with the matter in my absence. Also that I submit a statement of mitigation and financial circumstances.
2. I accept the evidence and plead guilty, and will attend court.
3. I intend to plead not guilty. The case will be adjourned until a new hearing date when witnesses/solicitor can attend.
I'm really not sure what to tick. Please read my statement of mitigation below that I am at the moment intending to submit.
On the 31st October 2013 I travelled from **** to Manchester Victoria by train. I had just started a new job contracted to Network Rail based at Manchester Picadilly train station and this was my first time ever travelling to Manchester by train. On arrival at the station at **** I saw that the ticket office was open but there wasnt a member of staff sat behind the desk. I waited a good few minutes and still no one came. In the end I had to just go for the train as I would have missed it if I had waited any longer. I thought there might be a ticket conductor on the train whom I could speak to regarding a ticket. However, the train was ridiculously over packed, with not only all the seats full but the aisles completely full to bursting as well, and a ticket conductor didnt pass through the train during the journey. I assumed that I could speak to someone regarding a ticket once I had gotten off the train. At this point in time I was 12 weeks pregnant and suffering from severe morning sickness. Due to this and the train being so packed that Id had to stand up the entire journey feeling sick and dizzy, and the fact that it was my first time travelling by train to Manchester I understandably missed my connecting stop and instead of travelling to Manchester Picadilly I ended up at Manchester Victoria. I was upset as I knew this would make me late for work in my new job and I didnt know how to get from Manchester Victoria to Picadilly. I spoke to the ticket inspectors in Manchester Victoria and explained what had happened and asked if I could purchase a ticket somewhere and also if they could inform me how to get to Manchester Picadilly. They said that it was fine and showed me where to purchase a ticket. As I was stood in the queue to purchase a ticket another member of staff came over and very abruptly asked me to follow him as he needed to speak to me, which I did. The member of staff informed me that he was a Revenue Protection Officer. He asked me why I hadnt purchased a ticket at Hindley. I explained about the ticket office being empty and I also explained why I hadnt been able to purchase one on the train and that I was now trying to purchase one. I explained to him about working at Manchester Picadilly, that this was my first time travelling to Manchester by train and about getting lost. I repeatedly asked if I could purchase a ticket and go to work but the Revenue Protection Officer stated that I had to be issued a fine and that he needed to process all my details. I explained that I was pregnant and felt unwell and asked if I could sit down somewhere whilst he processed my details but he refused and said that I had to stand with him. We went through the process of me providing my details and him processing them which took approximately 10 minutes, all the while I was stood there feeling unwell. In fact, the Revenue Protection Officer was rude and abrupt throughout the whole process and clearly lacked any people skills.
I wrote a letter of complaint to Northern Rail regarding this matter and stated that I have no problem paying the fare but that I felt that I should be given an apology first.
I have received no subsequent contact from Northern Rail regarding neither the fine nor my complaint. I assumed that due to the circumstances and my complaint that the matter had been dropped. This whole matter has left me with a very low opinion of Northern Rail and if it wasnt for necessity I certainly wouldnt be using their services.
Due to continued work at Manchester Picadilly I have continued to travel by train from ****. In the months since this incident I have found on numerous occasions that the ticket office is opened but seems unmanned. Now that I am able to recognise the staff that regularly work there I have often spotted them around the station undertaking various jobs and have also spotted one particular staff member stood at the front of the station smoking. Clearly at these times people are unable to purchase tickets from the ticket office. Also, it is certainly not an unusual case for the trains to be soo heavily packed that the ticket conductors are completely unable to pass through the train to check or issue tickets. I feel that it is extremely unfair of Northern Rail to penalise people who are unable to purchase tickets due to a poor service.
I know that some of the above is a rant but I'm just soo annoyed.
Or should I ring Northern Rail and try to speak to someone regarding this and try to get it dropped? Obviously I never had any intent to not pay at all, I did try to purchase a ticket. Please bear in mind that the train station that I travelled from is only small and has only one member of staff on duty at any one time so I couldn't simply go and ask another member of staff about a ticket.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions