Up_Tilt_390
Member
- Joined
- 10 Oct 2015
- Messages
- 923
I've seen it documented a few times that in the winter, snowfall and ice can cause serious issues on the railway resulting in slower speeds and such and even halting some trains, with no shortage of delays and cancellations. However, I've also known railways to buckle under the hot sun given that metal gets significantly hotter than the air when in direct sunlight, which pretty much produces the same result in slowing down trains and even leading to cancellations.
However, I'd like to know from experienced railway enthusiasts, and most importantly railway workers, which season is harder for the railway infrastructure and train operators between the hot summers and cold winters? Personally, I would initially imagine it's hard to answer since ice and snowfall isn't actually as common in the UK as scorching hot summer heatwaves, even though we generally have a cloudy and chilly climate for the most part. Perhaps here I can get some clear and solid answers. Thanks in advance...
However, I'd like to know from experienced railway enthusiasts, and most importantly railway workers, which season is harder for the railway infrastructure and train operators between the hot summers and cold winters? Personally, I would initially imagine it's hard to answer since ice and snowfall isn't actually as common in the UK as scorching hot summer heatwaves, even though we generally have a cloudy and chilly climate for the most part. Perhaps here I can get some clear and solid answers. Thanks in advance...