• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Summer 2013 forum statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
As requested by a few people, below are the stats for June - Sept 2013. You can see what's changed since I last posted these.

Busiest hour
22.00

Quietest hour
03.00

Popular browsers
Chrome - 26.5% [for the first time, Internet Explorer is no longer the most used browser]
Internet Explorer - 22.3%
Safari - 22.3%
Firefox - 14.9%

Operating systems
Windows - 56.2% [down again from last time]
iOS - 21.4% [up significantly]
Android - 11.0%
Mac - 7.2%
Linux - 1.6%

Devices used
Desktop/laptop - 65.3%
Mobile phone/tablet - 34.7% [in 2011 for the same period this was only 11.9%]

Average visit duration
9 Min 35 Sec per visit
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Interesting to note the significant decline in Microsoft's domination over the past 5 years.
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
I prefer Firefox myself.
I used to use Firefox but switched to Chrome as I have an Android phone and the syncing is awesome, as soon as I log in to Chrome on a new computer it automagically downloads my extensions/settings/bookmarks etc and it is easy to switch from phone to PC.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
What surprised me the most by these stats is how much mobile phone/tablet usage has soared recently, despite them being immensely difficult to type on.
 
Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
What surprised me the most by these stats is how much mobile phone/tablet usage has soared recently, despite them being immensely to type on.

Swype is the way forward with Tablet usage. Its cracking
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
Interesting to note the significant decline in Microsoft's domination over the past 5 years.

IE use is equal to Safari alone! But that's because the latter's mobile use (and the OS anyway) is stronger. Would be more interesting to see browser use split by OS tbh.


Is Chrome more likely to be the choice of the younger membership ?

Ayup. How about you then Paul? ;)


What surprised me the most by these stats is how much mobile phone/tablet usage has soared recently, despite them being immensely to type on.

Might well have been due to the free natively-branded app... Or the availability of 'proper' keyboards ;)
 
Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Thanks for the stats, are these stats based on individual visits or forum logins?

Interesting to see that (only) 14% do not use one of those browsers. Not that I count here since I use firefox. Also surprised by how late the busiest hour is.

I must also agree with DAB_Move that Safari's high use is related to iOS and it's use, can one even get another browser? Reckon it's the same to a lesser extent for chrome
 
Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
21.4% IE and Windows
20.1% Chrome and Windows
17.6% Safari and iOS
13.0% Firefox and Windows
6.5% Android Browser
4.4% Safari and Mac
2.7% Chrome and Android
1.8% Chrome and Mac
 

Seacook

Member
Joined
17 May 2010
Messages
456
Location
West Bromwich
21.4% IE and Windows
20.1% Chrome and Windows
17.6% Safari and iOS
13.0% Firefox and Windows
6.5% Android Browser
4.4% Safari and Mac
2.7% Chrome and Android
1.8% Chrome and Mac

Very few of us using Chrome and iOS, then? I also use Chrome on Windows and Android.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
Very few of us using Chrome and iOS, then? I also use Chrome on Windows and Android.

I'm using Chome on iOS because I'm pre-iOS 7, meaning Safari has an 8-tab limit. Chrome is available on more devices and the syncing is more extensive. Also because private browsing mode can be set on separate tabs/windows rather than the entire browser at once, and diving into system settings for Safari isn't as convenient anyway... Only real benefit of Safari is Reading Mode.

Since Apple relaxed their monopolistic regulation of iOS web browsers, a fair few have sprung up, but I find Chrome to be the best.
 

Aldaniti

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2009
Messages
668
I too tried Chrome, but reverted back to my previous one, as I had less problems and it was easier to use.

Me too. I've used them all recently in an attempt to find the best browser to handle the incredibly awful new Flickr. For visuals, Chrome seems a bit better than the others but for some reason I find that opening just a few extra tabs often results in them failing to load, bringing the whole thing to a crawl. Sad, because apart from that (and the lack of bookmarks sidebar), it seems to be about the best of currently a fairly mediocre bunch of browsers. I'm back to using IE10 now with its painful associated compatibility problems, but I find it faster than Chrome and can open several tabs at a time without issue. Without doubt the best browser I use is Safari on iOS 6 on my iPad.
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Quite sad to see Linux didn't even make it to the high score board :(

It is on there, just at the bottom. It would be interesting to see who the other people who use Linux. According to the stats there should be around 150-200 of us.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,468
I must be the only one who uses UC Browser on my phone. ;)
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
The main reason IE is declining is that, due to EU competition laws, new Windows PCs ask you which browser you would like (of the main five) to use when you initially set them up, rather than coming preinstalled with IE.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
It is on there, just at the bottom. It would be interesting to see who the other people who use Linux. According to the stats there should be around 150-200 of us.

I'm one of the them too. I think yorkie is too although he may dual boot
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
I'm one of the them too. I think yorkie is too although he may dual boot

Well my laptop is set up for dual boot - ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7. I use linux for general use and windows for when a specific need arises for a program (that will not work in Crossover).
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
I fall into 2 or 3 categories. I use windows 7 laptop with ie, android with android browser, and a windows 7.5 phone with ie.
The other thing that would be interesting is the top 10 countries where people log in. One of my recent logins will be skewed though, I used Brittany ferries free WiFi, and their WiFi is provided by on waves mobile network, which is transmitted through Iceland I believe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top