• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Suggestion: Clockface timetable for Walsall area post HS2 (including Benson Road curve)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I have had a go at designing a clock face timetable for the Walsall area post HS2. My start point was the existing local all stations via Aston running to the same times between Birmingham New Street and Walsall due to sharing track with the Cross City Line services between New Street and Aston. Also, I had projected the Leamington/Honeybourne onwards that I had previously done for the Snow Hill lines, continuing to Hednesford rather than terminating at Walsall.

I have introduced Wolverhampton - Birmingham New Street via Aston and Wolverhampton - Leicester via Sutton Park (non stop from Nuneaton- stations between covered by reinstated Coventry trains), both which will tie in with reopened stations at Willenhall Bilston Street and Darlaston James Bridge. Reopened stations on the Sutton Park line are Aldridge, Sutton Park, and Sutton Coldfield Town (Midland Drive) as part of a Phase I project, with Streetley Thornhill Road and Penns Lane possibly reopened as part of a Phase II project. As can be seen from the timings, both the Wolverhampton - Leicester and Birmingham trains will interwork, and would require a new Platform 7 at Wolverhampton (next to Platform 4 by running a new single line just beyond the crossover near Qualcast Road on the route from Portobello Junction so as not to interact with trains from the Smethwick/Stour Valley route), and a new Platform 4 at Walsall that is missing from the right hand line.

The present day Wolverhampton - Walsall local via New Street has been revised to run Wolverhampton - Birmingham International (see future Table 68 thread I have yet to start), and Birmingham New Street - Birmingham Moor Street via Aston, Walsall, Sutton Park, and Camp Hill Curves. As well as the reopened stations along the Sutton Park line mentioned above, reopened stations would be Castle Bromwich (A452) and Bromford Bridge (Bromford Lane for The Fort). Grade separation of the triangular junction between Castle Bromwich and Water Orton would be required, along with proper quad track the whole way to Landor Street Junction (there are intermittent bits of triple and quad track), as well as the Camp Hill curves and restoration of more of the former GWR platforms at Moor Street.

Although a slight sideways move from Walsall, I have included a Birmingham Moor Street - Burton Upon Trent via Coleshill Parkway local service, calling Bromford Bridge, Castle Bromwich, Water Orton, Coleshill Parkway, Kingsbury Trinity Road (the former station was at Coventry Road - Trinity Road is closer to residential areas), Wilnecote, Tamworth, Barton & Walton Station Lane (reopened), and Burton upon Trent. I did consider reopening Branston, but that would I feel be better on the Coalville line (also it is along the exact same road too). As well as the infrastructure works previously mentioned in the above paragraph, a south facing bay platform can be carved out of the island platform at Burton. It is noted that the New Street - Moor Street via Sutton Park and the Moor Street - Burton trains will interwork together due to the timings hence how I have included this in.

Frequencies of common sections are as follows:
Soho Road - Hednesford 4tph
Wolverhampton - Darlaston James Bridge 4tph
Walsall - Sutton Coldfield Town (or Penns Lane) 4tph
Birmingham Moor Street - Walsall 4tph (2 from WMPTE 1987 platforms via Soho Road, 2 from ex GWR platforms via Sutton Park)
Birmingham New Street - Walsall 4tph (2 from International and via Soho Road, 2 via Aston)
Aston - Bescot Stadium 4tph
Birmingham Moor Street - Castle Bromwich 4tph

I have attached the file below.
 

Attachments

  • Walsall Taktplan.xlsx
    23.3 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top