HMS Ark Royal
Established Member
142/144s have made it from Leeds to Scotland before, although thats not been in passenger service
I still think the 455 from Victoria-Dorking-Horsham is a bit unsuitable.
Hardly a 'metro' design? With 2+2 seating, generous legroom, tables, 2+1 first class and buffet car! I for one think they are very comfortable, more so than their ECML equivalents.
Liverpool to Birmingham is worse (where there are some /2s as well) as LM provide the only direct services between Liverpool and Birmingham. Virgin provide 4tph between London and Birmingham so the only end to end travellers on the LM London to Birmingham are the people who want to travel for less than the Virgin fare. It's a reasonable expectation that if you travel on the budget service you get a lower standard of train.
I can remember seeing this service, operated by a single Class 508, passing through New Cross Gate one midday some years ago when it was operating, and thinking what a useless little train it appeared. It had almost nobody in it. Then I thought "Orcats Raid".No-one would travel from London Bridge to Strood via Redhill!
Birmingham - Euston: 112 miles
Liverpool - Birmingham: 88 miles
The 350/1 is fine for service north of Northampton, especially if a 350/2 is coupled up. a 350/2 is fine for Liverpool - Birmingham
Didn't at least one 317 work north of Peterborough as well in the same farce? I think it made at least York.West Yorks 321/9 deputised for class 91 on a select number of GNER workings Leeds to London after the bearing derailment at Sandy in / around 1996 !
141s to Hull weren't that rare. I'm not sure they were booked, but it was quite common for one to escape on a Sheffield/Donny to Hull. I think the odd one worked Leeds/York - Hull too. Not sure if they ever went to or through Beverley, I never saw it happen but I wouldn't be against it.And, once or twice, to Hull
I can recall seeing this, having gone down to Brighton to greet cycling colleagues, in what I would guess would be around 1988-89, and went to look at the returning specials. The back four were being used for loading the cycles, forward set for the humans, and what struck me right there was the seats were NOT turned over, but the bikes were just being stacked several-deep straight onto the cushions, that the next morning would be depositing all that chain oil onto the suits of Surrey's finest, commuting into London Bridge. The good old Trojan moquette seemed to be tough enough to handle this mistreatment without ripping. Although in theory the seats could be turned over for parcels workings as well, I do recall that in latter times they were fixed and this couldn't be done.the London - Brighton Bike run specials were - for some years - 12 EPB - in theory non stop but often regulated at Redhill. Seat cushions were turned upside down on half of the cars - and a mass of temporary staff (students I suspect) assisted with the loading at Brighton.
I still think the 455 from Victoria-Dorking-Horsham is a bit unsuitable.
the London - Brighton Bike run specials were - for some years - 12 EPB - in theory non stop but often regulated at Redhill. Seat cushions were turned upside down on half of the cars - and a mass of temporary staff (students I suspect) assisted with the loading at Brighton. A long and honourable Southern tradition here - with up to 12 8 x 12 x SUB workings + on Summer weekends in the 1950's.
West Yorks 321/9 deputised for class 91 on a select number of GNER workings Leeds to London after the bearing derailment at Sandy in / around 1996 !
Western Region used to turnout class 120 sets for Summer Saturday Paddington - Cardiff reliefs - technically not suburban sets
You've completely missed the point. If you want to do the 112 mile journey there's a Pendolino available, if you're avoiding using that to save money then so what if you don't have high quality long distance stock, you've chosen the budget option.
Is your objection to 350/2s on Birmingham-Euston services because some call at Bletchley and you don't like travelling on them?
No i haven't.
...
You can travel by Pendolino between Birmingham and Liverpool with a change at Crewe with only a limited time penalty against the LM service.
Seeing as Bletchley is my local mainline station the more trains that stop there the better! :roll:
Do I have to come and break you two up...?
If you're going from A to B you're usually going to use the fastest service.
If you've never travelled between Liverpool and Birmingham again why on earth would you expect to be subjected with commuter seating unless you take a slower journey option involving a change? You wouldn't, therefore 3+2 seating is not acceptable on Liverpool to Birmingham services.
By saying you can change and have a slower journey using Pendolinos you've proved that you have in fact missed the point I was making.
Some Birmingham-London services stop at Bletchley, no Liverpool-Birmingham services do. That's the only plausible reason I could think of why you said 3+2 seating wasn't acceptable on LM's Birmingham-London service but is on LM's Birmingham-Liverpool service, or can you give a more plausible reason? You've haven't managed to so far!
Clearly no Liverpool - Birmingham service stop at Bletchley :roll: A detour of around 150 miles might mean service times were not competitive.
However, perhaps if you explained yourself in a clear and logical fashion it might help. That said, you don't seem able to offer any evidence to support your view, other than putting it in bold.
My view on why 350/2 are unsuitable (note not unacceptable) on Birmingham - London should be obvious: To compete and win business from Virgin you need to play the hand you are dealt to the best possible advantage. Therefore, put your best train on your premier route and try to maximise profits.
Are you suggesting that Liverpool - Birmingham offer a better return for LM than Birmingham - London?
So: you don't like 3+2 seats.
Until now your arguments haven't made any sense so I suggested you want the better stock for services stopping at Bletchley. Of course Birmingham-Liverpool services don't call at Bletchley (that was precisely the point!!) but you seem happier with dumping commuter stock on a pseduo Intercity route, which doesn't serve your area opposed to a long stopping service which does.
If Govia's aim was to provide a 'premier route' to compete with Virgin then they wouldn't have withdrawn the refreshment trolley on their 350s, they would have introduced wi-fi before DfT forced them etc. However, their aim for Euston services seem to be to provide a basic no frills service so they can offer very cheap Advance fares and win passengers from Virgin, especially those who can't afford Virgin's Anytime fares, in the same way Ryanair attract passengers from traditional airlines. Are 350/2s not good enough for a basic no frills service?
You've actually contradicted yourself about Liverpool-Birmingham. You're making out LM have no competition one minute so a 'premier service' isn't required and 350/2s are OK but then you're pointing out alternative options involving a change. There is, of course, other competition like the ATW very nicely refurbished 158s operating between Chester and Birmingham. For instance, if you live in Northwich you could catch a bus to Hartford station where you can catch the LM service or a train to Chester from where you can catch the ATW service.
Liverpool-Birmingham seems to do very well for loadings without offering ridiculously priced Advance tickets. I don't know how Birmingham-Euston loadings compare but I imagine they do well at peak times due to how expensive Virgin's Anytime tickets are.
I think 3+2 seating should only be used on genuine short commuter services. Liverpool to Birmingham is not short or a commuter service, it's only about 10 minutes quicker than taking the slow stopper from Birmingham to London.
Until now your arguments haven't made any sense so I suggested you want the better stock for services stopping at Bletchley. Of course Birmingham-Liverpool services don't call at Bletchley (that was precisely the point!!) but you seem happier with dumping commuter stock on a pseduo Intercity route, which doesn't serve your area opposed to a long stopping service which does.
If Govia's aim was to provide a 'premier route' to compete with Virgin then they wouldn't have withdrawn the refreshment trolley on their 350s, they would have introduced wi-fi before DfT forced them etc. However, their aim for Euston services seem to be to provide a basic no frills service so they can offer very cheap Advance fares and win passengers from Virgin, especially those who can't afford Virgin's Anytime fares, in the same way Ryanair attract passengers from traditional airlines. Are 350/2s not good enough for a basic no frills service?
You've actually contradicted yourself about Liverpool-Birmingham. You're making out LM have no competition one minute so a 'premier service' isn't required and 350/2s are OK but then you're pointing out alternative options involving a change. There is, of course, other competition like the ATW very nicely refurbished 158s operating between Chester and Birmingham. For instance, if you live in Northwich you could catch a bus to Hartford station where you can catch the LM service or a train to Chester from where you can catch the ATW service.
Liverpool-Birmingham seems to do very well for loadings without offering ridiculously priced Advance tickets. I don't know how Birmingham-Euston loadings compare but I imagine they do well at peak times due to how expensive Virgin's Anytime tickets are.
I think 3+2 seating should only be used on genuine short commuter services. Liverpool to Birmingham is not short or a commuter service, it's only about 10 minutes quicker than taking the slow stopper from Birmingham to London.
Originally Posted by RichJF
I still think the 455 from Victoria-Dorking-Horsham is a bit unsuitable.
Which is a shorter run than either Kings Cross - Cambridge or Peterborough both of which can result in a 317 or 319 - so not markedly different to a 455.
The Birmingham to Liverpool service is a local stopping service, not an intercity service.
It is mainly there to serve Penkridge, Winsford, Hartford and Acton Bridge. Therefore I believe 3+2 seating is justified, as most people will be alighting at intermediate stations. Just like the local stopping service between Oxford and Paddington, any sain person would use XC and change at Reading
You are the one who:
a) mentioned Bletchley as as topping point for Birmingham to Liverpool trains a
jcollins said:Is your objection to 350/2s on Birmingham-Euston services because some call at Bletchley and you don't like travelling on them?
The difference is, the 455s don't have toilets whereas the 317s and 319s do.
Just like the local stopping service between Oxford and Paddington, any sain person would use XC and change at Reading
I'm not sure where you get that idea from. It's the fastest and only direct service between Birmingham and Liverpool, and if Stafford and Crewe aren't far bigger traffic generators than Penkridge, Winsford, Hartford and Acton Bridge I'd be absolutely astonished.The Birmingham to Liverpool service is a local stopping service, not an intercity service.
It is mainly there to serve Penkridge, Winsford, Hartford and Acton Bridge.
Plus a 25mph-ish top speed difference.
That makes no sense. Half of services run non-stop between Runcorn and Crewe, while Hartford is the only station between Runcorn and Crewe which gets a full hourly service, Winsford gets skipped some hours while Acton Bridge only gets a few services per day.
As for being there to mainly serve Penkridge really? I've never heard anyone in the North West say they are getting the train to Penkridge. Crewe, Stafford, Wolverhampton and Birmingham - definitely - people say they are going to those stations all the time but Penkridge?
I never said Intercity service, I said pseudo Intercity service. It has to make some additional calls between Liverpool and Crewe due to lack of paths for a stopper alongside the LM and Virgin services.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you are post replies please can you refrain from posting false claims about what I said.
Where does that say Liverpool to Birmingham services call there?
I have already told you once since that I didn't make a stupid statement like that and you made an incorrect assumption. If you are going to continue to post lies because you don't agree with me then I refuse to listen to your point of view anymore.
The 350/2 stop at Bletchley all day, every day. I have no problem with that and I will no doubt be on one this evening and tomorrow.
I notice you haven't answered this simple question: What is your objection to 350/2 on an 88 mile journey?