• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Subcontracting part of a franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

BantamMenace

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2013
Messages
573
In light of the recent bad press around the cancellation rate on the Ormskirk branch I was wondering about whether a franchise holder could subcontract our part of their franchise commitment such as the running of a simple branch like this right up to Northern subletting the entirety of their network in the North East north of York for example.

What rules/laws are there currently in place to allow/prevent currently?

How practical would it be for a start up to procure some off lease stock and recruit the required operational staff in order to fulfil a service?

Is there any desire to partition parts of a larger franchise off, I imagine some local councils for example would like a tighter control over the smaller services in their local area?

What other services are candidates for this sort of operational model?

I’m a believer that letting smaller chunks for longer periods would be of great benefit such as Chiltern has proven.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2010
Messages
3,719
Isn’t the Stourbridge Branch effectively sub contracted and haven’t some of the Loco hauled services been run by third parties on behalf of some TOCs?
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,726
Chiltern tried it on I thought with WSMR and got burnt by the ORR for it?
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
Chiltern tried it on I thought with WSMR and got burnt by the ORR for it?
The reason, I believe, was a combination of the income going to a non-franchised TOC (and thus messes up the DfT's money-go-round) and that they hadn't asked permission first (that may have been granted, but they didn't follow the correct process).
I think!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top