DynamicSpirit
Established Member
I'm trying to find out more about the impact of transport schemes.
The particular context is that I live in SE London, where certain local authorities and TfL are trying to get several new road crossings built over the Thames. I'm personally very concerned about these, to the point where I'm likely to get involved in local groups campaigning against them. But I'd also like to make sure I have understood the issues - to the point where I can offer constructive, well-informed critiques of the schemes and of possible alternatives.
Hence the question: Can anyone who knows about this kind of area point me to the right places to look, or to particular articles or books to read? I want stuff that is seriously researched, and data that is unbiased. (I'm not particularly interested in opinions by individuals or pressure groups that are not backed up by reasonable evidence or research).
I'm interested in anything that might be relevant to building proposed Thames crossings, including:
Any suggestions or (informed) advice appreciated!
The particular context is that I live in SE London, where certain local authorities and TfL are trying to get several new road crossings built over the Thames. I'm personally very concerned about these, to the point where I'm likely to get involved in local groups campaigning against them. But I'd also like to make sure I have understood the issues - to the point where I can offer constructive, well-informed critiques of the schemes and of possible alternatives.
Hence the question: Can anyone who knows about this kind of area point me to the right places to look, or to particular articles or books to read? I want stuff that is seriously researched, and data that is unbiased. (I'm not particularly interested in opinions by individuals or pressure groups that are not backed up by reasonable evidence or research).
I'm interested in anything that might be relevant to building proposed Thames crossings, including:
- Details of traffic in the area - where it goes to/from, including usage of the Dartford and Blackwall tunnels.
- Case studies and research into the impact of similar schemes - or new roads or railways in general - elsewhere.
- Stuff about the causes and effect of induced traffic.
- Research into the impact (social and economic) of schemes like this on communities.
- Anything else likely to be relevant.
- Methodologies for projecting traffic levels (I'd love to know how TfL have done their forecasts for how they think the proposed road crossings would affect traffic levels)
Any suggestions or (informed) advice appreciated!