• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stratford station - when did the gateline change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijmad

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2016
Messages
1,857
Location
UK
I'm just doing a quick history check here on Stratford. I noticed in this panorama as recently as 2009, there was a gateline directly in front of the Jubilee Line platforms. I assume this changed when the DLR took over the line from Canning Town and the low level platforms, and/or when the new Western ticket hall and footbridge was built.

Were the pedestrian subways on the unticketed side before this? Were the national rail platforms ungated? How about the Central Line platforms?

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2014
Messages
4,780
I don't know when the main station was gated but the two gatelines certainly co-existed for a time. I believe that the Jubilee gateline was there to control interchanges.

The main station was never "open". Manual controls were normally in place before it was gated.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,294
I think it was removed only after Oyster PAYG was rolled out fully on NR in the zones, I’m pretty sure it was still there after the changes to extend the DLR. I’d agree with PeterC above that it was initially there to prevent ticketless access to the Jubilee line by people changing from National Rail.

If the same problem was perceived with the Central Line it was impossible to deal with, given the cross-platform interchange.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top