306024 said:
And I still have the unit diagrams! There were 72 class 306 diagrams, which equates to 24 x 9 car trains. Now there are just 20 x 8 car class 315s. So yes you are correct, not enough trains.
Ah thanks for confirming what I always thought was so.
306024 said:
Also Platform 5 at Ilford is to be taken out of use to enable platform 4 to be extended, so that scuppers the other idea..
Thats a shame, doubly so as the main platform exit is at the eastern end of the train! (maybe they plan to open the current 'rush hours only' gate at the western end of the station at all times?)
I accept that they are going for the easy option but extending at the other end would have been better. As at Dalston Kingsland.
In addition to greater capacity another of the advantages of trains terminating at Ilford is that in the mornings there are oodles seats for the Ilford passengers!
-------------------------
re: passengers from places such as The Drive, if they currently take a bus to Redbridge then going to Ilford instead may be just as easy.
I used to live on Cranbrook Road, very close to Bethell Avenue (the road junction with a triangle and a phone box), Gants Hill was about 8 minutes walk away and Ilford about 15 minutes, or less, depending on how quickly I walked. I tended to go to Gants Hill for work but Ilford for leisure journeys and I'd time my journeys for the train on the Colchester run as it then went non-stop to Liverpool St in about a dozen minutes. Usually these were class 312's but there were times when I travelled on a 309 (nice and even nicer - choice of compartment or open seating, even in 2nd class).
The Southend trains also called at Stratford but missed out the other three stations. This made all the difference as it meant that despite the longer walk (from Ilford stn to home) the overall journey home was still faster. I never took buses, unless in a desperate rush or it was raining heavily.
I suspect (but hope that I'm wrong) that once Crossrail starts all trains will be all stations. What with Whitechapel too this will make journeys to Liverpool Street noticeably slower, although if going further west then there will be some time advantages.
Simon