• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange movement in Durham 20:55 tonight (03.09.10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightatLaira

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2010
Messages
490
Right… I definitely didn't imagine this. I was travelling south down the ECML this evening, and we'd pulled into Durham on the southbound platform and something VERY FAST and VERY SHORT zipped by on the rarely used non-platform track next to that platform.

It was heading north and must've been doing at least 100mph+, I wasn't paying attention at the time, but I think it was in EWS colours and may have been electric(?) as it was so quiet… or poss' a 67?

Anyone know what this was or where it was going.

*post written from the train courtesy of East Coast wifi ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
The down main line, the line you're referring to, runs through the middle of the station as you describe, and is used by most, if not all, northbound trains which don't stop in Durham.
Linespeed is 90mph.

Might help if you could clarify whether it consisted of passenger coaches, freight wagons, departmental units or simply light locos.
 

NightatLaira

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2010
Messages
490
It was definitely not a voyager/91 set/TPX unit. I would say it was almost certainly an EWS 67 or 90 - I think it had a slanted front.
 

Soft Mick

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2010
Messages
37
It was 5A60, Knaresboro to Heaton empties. Passed Durham at 20.56 formed of 156451 and 142090
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
The down main line, the line you're referring to, runs through the middle of the station as you describe, and is used by most, if not all, northbound trains which don't stop in Durham.
Linespeed is 90mph.

And that doesn't start until near the end of platform 1, so the train in question would most likely still have been doing 75mph. :D
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Ah thanks - so it was just an empty stock movement then? I could have sworn I saw maroon and beige...

Could be one of a couple of things, including ECS from Darlington or Middlesbrough, or an ECS from Leeds or Manchester for maintenance at Heaton.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,296
I assume it would have been too late for it to be that FGW 142 heading north?
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,288
And that doesn't start until near the end of platform 1, so the train in question would most likely still have been doing 75mph. :D

142's & 156's have a maximum speed (officially) of 75mph. Whether anyone wants to drive a 142 anywhere near that, is another matter.. :lol:
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
142's & 156's have a maximum speed (officially) of 75mph. Whether anyone wants to drive a 142 anywhere near that, is another matter.. :lol:

I have had the pleasure of being on one at that speed, on the early morning Middlesbrough to Newcastle. It wasn't too bad until we reached Tursdale Junction when I thought we were preparing for take off! :D
 

NightatLaira

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2010
Messages
490
It was 5A60, Knaresboro to Heaton empties. Passed Durham at 20.56 formed of 156451 and 142090

Just out of interest - how would this train have joined the northbound ECML? Reverse at York? Or did it go via Harrogate and Leeds?
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Reverse at York would be the quickest, sure I've seen ECS Northern trains using either platform 8 to reverse and sometimes 9/10/11 as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top