TheSmiths82
Member
On Friday I got the 14:01 service from Newcastle to Manchester. Although it arrived into Newcastle on time it was ten minutes late leaving (I think although it arrived on time, it still arrived later than planned). Near Northallerton the train started breaking heavily and just stopped in a the middle of a field. The train was stopped for about 10 minutes before any announcement and then announcement was made that the over head lines have tripped and there is no power. The train was powered as normal and just before the announcement you could feel the engines starting up.
This was a class 802 so surely an overhead line failure wouldn't mean the train is stranded unless there was a fully electric train further down the line that was under the same substation/power? Just before the train manager stopped making the announcement the train started moving again and nothing else was said. The train ending up getting to Victoria 30 minutes late. I just thought the announcement was a bit poorly worded considering the class 802 is capable of powering itself. Of course many of the passengers on the train didn't know and assumed we might be stranded for a long time.
Does anybody know what actually happened to the line? I realise that a delay would still be caused if an overhead line fails as it will take time to switch to the engines etc.
Another odd thing is the service was supposed to be Newcastle to Liverpool, but there people already on the train from Edinburgh so the service was actually Edinburgh to Liverpool via Newcastle, I assume these passengers were told if they were going any of the stations on that service that they don't need to get off the train.
This was a class 802 so surely an overhead line failure wouldn't mean the train is stranded unless there was a fully electric train further down the line that was under the same substation/power? Just before the train manager stopped making the announcement the train started moving again and nothing else was said. The train ending up getting to Victoria 30 minutes late. I just thought the announcement was a bit poorly worded considering the class 802 is capable of powering itself. Of course many of the passengers on the train didn't know and assumed we might be stranded for a long time.
Does anybody know what actually happened to the line? I realise that a delay would still be caused if an overhead line fails as it will take time to switch to the engines etc.
Another odd thing is the service was supposed to be Newcastle to Liverpool, but there people already on the train from Edinburgh so the service was actually Edinburgh to Liverpool via Newcastle, I assume these passengers were told if they were going any of the stations on that service that they don't need to get off the train.