• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange destinations in southern PIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
The 317s had Spalding on their destination blinds at one point - presumably an electrification project which never happened?

I've also seen stabled 379s with Angel Road and Battlesbridge on their displays. Both on (or was on in the case of the former) the GA network, but as far as I know they've never called at either, let alone terminated!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
I have to admit that, the way she repeats some of those stations, it does rather sound like Julie Berry was auditioning for a turn on the Shipping Forecast.

it's also interesting to hear the long since axed South Central Bournemouth service included with "Millbrook, New Milton, Redbridge, Pokesdown Pokesdown" mentioned.
 

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
2,277
The current PIS on Sprinters operated by Northern, for reasons I can't even begin to understand, has FCC programmed in! See video below:
Maybe Northern used the old FCC file to test the passenger information system and haven't bothered or even noticed to change it. Just imagine if Northern had bunged Network South East into the system for a laugh and left if to happily scroll along - "Welcome aboard this Network South East service to Leeds >>> the next station is Bracknell."
 

londonbridge

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2010
Messages
1,896
There’s a similar YouTube video (all stations being read out) on a London overground train.

 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
The 317s had Spalding on their destination blinds at one point - presumably an electrification project which never happened?

I've also seen stabled 379s with Angel Road and Battlesbridge on their displays. Both on (or was on in the case of the former) the GA network, but as far as I know they've never called at either, let alone terminated!
Indeed they did, the Class 313s that used to operate on the Great Northern also had Stansted Airport on the destination blind - Class 313s to the airport anyone?

They also had Special on the destination blind too.
 

AzureOtsu

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
179
Location
Hove
Just out of interest, what is the message scrolling on the dot matrix indicator in the video?
Welcome abourd this southern service to Littlehampton, the next station is hove is what it read

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Oh that's true, it could be a /2 as well. I think the seating layout and overall comfort of the 101-119 units are by far the best.
It's a 377/1. I was travelling from Brighton to hove. only 377/1s and 377/4s operate on this route
 

40129

Member
Joined
23 May 2014
Messages
427
Talking of Northern, I remember travelling on a Merseytravel liveried Pacer from Huddersfield to Halifax with a PIS that clearly didn't know which side of the Pennines the unit was now on. On approach to Halifax it announced: "We are now approaching Liverpool Lime Street. Our final station"
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
Talking of Northern, I remember travelling on a Merseytravel liveried Pacer from Huddersfield to Halifax with a PIS that clearly didn't know which side of the Pennines the unit was now on. On approach to Halifax it announced: "We are now approaching Liverpool Lime Street. Our final station"

The Merseytravel Pacers did that all the time when connected to a PRM'd Sprinter IIRC.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
On the earlier post about the TrainFX. I wonder if all the codes are put into one big central database, I remember seeing a picture of a ScotRail 156 at Edinburgh Waverley with Lancaster on the display.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,518
Location
Northern England
On the earlier post about the TrainFX. I wonder if all the codes are put into one big central database, I remember seeing a picture of a ScotRail 156 at Edinburgh Waverley with Lancaster on the display.
Maybe, though it's possible to set TrainFX up to show a destination only, so possibly it will accept any CRS code in the country (or indeed any custom text!)
If it is a CRS code then maybe the driver could have mistyped it, causing an erroneous destination to show up on the display? But from photos I've seen of the interface, it appears to only have a numeric keypad, so it's not clear how you'd input a CRS code in the first place. I imagine, therefore, that you're right about it all just being a central database.
 

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Joined
1 Feb 2017
Messages
2,475
Location
Edinburgh
Maybe, though it's possible to set TrainFX up to show a destination only, so possibly it will accept any CRS code in the country (or indeed any custom text!)
If it is a CRS code then maybe the driver could have mistyped it, causing an erroneous destination to show up on the display? But from photos I've seen of the interface, it appears to only have a numeric keypad, so it's not clear how you'd input a CRS code in the first place. I imagine, therefore, that you're right about it all just being a central database.

Theres also been pictures of Northern 150s displaying Glasgow Central. It makes sense for the Northern and Scotrail ones to be linked as they do use each others 156s, but I believe the GWR system on the Sprinters can also display other stations not on the route.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,897
Maybe, though it's possible to set TrainFX up to show a destination only, so possibly it will accept any CRS code in the country (or indeed any custom text!)
If it is a CRS code then maybe the driver could have mistyped it, causing an erroneous destination to show up on the display? But from photos I've seen of the interface, it appears to only have a numeric keypad, so it's not clear how you'd input a CRS code in the first place. I imagine, therefore, that you're right about it all just being a central database.
For northern - Nope, no central database. just a list of destination only codes stuck on the cab wall and a list of route codes with various stopping patterns. A recent update meant that it would accept a headcode rather than route code, but it'll only accept headcodes for the TOC. No way of entering free text or station codes.
 

westcoaster

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2006
Messages
4,513
Location
DTOS A or B
The 319s internal PIS was never fitted in the end when with FCC. The mountings just had a "Coming Soon!" notice on them.

It was fitted to all units and some worked, some didn't. It was very glitchy especially after changing over voltage.

Or you would be driving along and the next second a random calling pattern would be called out.

FCC fitted route/pis codes only. No typing in destinations. There was also a long list of pre recorded announcements.
 

40129

Member
Joined
23 May 2014
Messages
427
Slightly OT but around the turn of the century, Arriva had a batch of buses in Shropshire that had manual destination displays but dot matrix route number displays. The destinations included the village of Knockin. Needless to say, it did not take long for at least one driver to realize that the route number display could be configured to display three letters and hence KNOCKIN OFF could be displayed at the end of the shift
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
The 319s internal PIS was never fitted in the end when with FCC. The mountings just had a "Coming Soon!" notice on them.
I believe there was a PIS under the stickers – they covered it up because it wasn't set up properly... I saw one that said the next station was Reading West!
 

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2013
Messages
1,546
The original post reminded me of an evening years back at Waterloo when the Solari boards went barmy, and suburban services were apparently calling at stations all over Hampshire and Dorset.
 

AzureOtsu

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
179
Location
Hove
The original post reminded me of an evening years back at Waterloo when the Solari boards went barmy, and suburban services were apparently calling at stations all over Hampshire and Dorset.
I believe seeing something similar at brighton station a while back, didn't get any photos unfortunately. saw destinations like Woolston coming up
 

seaviewer

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2018
Messages
65
Back to Southern - does Coulsdon Town still show as "Coulsdon Town, formerly Smitham"?
I haven't travelled that way since the first lockdown, but the 455s that operated the service from there to London bridge used that description. I think the Tattenham Corner trains also use(d) it as well, but I'm not sure about that.
 

Fincra5

Established Member
Joined
6 Jun 2009
Messages
2,636
Back to Southern - does Coulsdon Town still show as "Coulsdon Town, formerly Smitham"?
Seems to on 455s that terminate at Coulsdon Town.. (Well from what I've seen driving past them from the UP/DN Fast)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top