• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stourbridge Junction - Measuring up for a building of some sort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggyn

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2011
Messages
40
Location
BHM
Hi there chaps,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this rather obscure, and possibly misplaced, question.

My grandfather visited Stourbridge Junction station yesterday, Sunday 17th April, to go on the shuttle into the town (no, I've got no idea why either!) and he said there were loads of men walking around the sidings and near the Stourbridge Town line, measuring and marking things out, and using those yellow laser sight things. Do you think they may be building a shed to house the Chiltern 165/168's in or maybe a TMD or similar? Or maybe they're just going to alter the trackwork?

Thanks for looking

Nyall
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
They were supposed to be building a dedicated shed to house and maintain the two Class 139's.
 

biggyn

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2011
Messages
40
Location
BHM
They were supposed to be building a dedicated shed to house and maintain the two Class 139's.

Another one? They've already got one at the one end of Stourbridge Junction Station:
3406551053_e14e8de505.jpg


By the way, the above picture isn't mine and seems to have been taken a few years back whilst it was being built.

Perhaps another shed is being built, I'm not overly sure, but I'm unsure why seeing as there already is one, unless it isn't very well equipped.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
I dont know the local ground, all I know was that they had one temporary shed (possibly converted from another use) and they wanted to build a new dedicated purpose built shed.
 

xc170

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
815
Hmm, I know the area well...

I can imagine them wanting to build a new shed, the current one isn't much more than a garden shed...
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
measuring and marking things out, and using those yellow laser sight things.

Laser sight? Sorry to be pedantic.

If you mean this, this is a laser level. This also does the same job without any lasers, and both can be used to measure reduced level (elevation).

If they had this then they were probably were actually laying something out.
 

biggyn

Member
Joined
17 Jan 2011
Messages
40
Location
BHM
Laser sight? Sorry to be pedantic.

If you mean this, this is a laser level. This also does the same job without any lasers, and both can be used to measure reduced level (elevation).

If they had this then they were probably were actually laying something out.

Sorry about the vagueness, but I'm unsure to be honest because I never saw it myself. Either way, it suggests some sort of measuring out is being done in readiness for something pretty drastic. I can't imagine they'd do all of that if they were replacing a peanel of track or something!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top