zanderson7
Member
- Joined
- 28 Nov 2015
- Messages
- 10
Hi all,
This is the first time I'm here and I desperately need your advice. My issue is a strange one though I am very worried. Please hear me out even if it is a little long.
Yesterday (Friday the 27th of Nov) I was catching the Forster Sq train from Baildon to Bradford Forster Sq. I just made it on to the platform at 12:11 as the train was about to leave. A man from Northern Rail just allowed me to get on as he was about to close the train. I sat in another carriage till I reached Forster Sq at 12:23. So I was travelling from Baildon to Forster Sq then intended to travel to Leeds a few hours later. I didn't have a ticket so I approached one of the conductors at the end of the platform (the station is a manned one) and asked to purchase a Leeds - Forster Sq retrun (my rationale for this is that I am coming from Baildon and I would be cut a deal and it would be the same distance and price so I am still paying for two journeys). Someone from STM security then took me to a side saying how did you come from Leeds without a ticket it's a manned station. I replied by telling her that I didn't, I came from Baildon but it'd be simpler for the conductor to cut me a Leeds - Forster Sq return as opposed to a Baildon - Bradford - Leeds in which the conductor would be confused. She said it's neither here nor there what I just said as she has to go by what I first said so took my name, address, DOB, and age and checked my drivers license to verify this; all whilst sounding accusatory. She then looked at my name and said "where are you from" and I repeated baildon and she gave me a funny look (I was extremely annoyed and frustrated, I wasn't in the mood to discuss my Arab name and heritage) and she didn't give me her name, just some STM ID number. She said Northern Rail will be in contact in 2 weeks with a letter in which I can respond.
The issue here is that I am very very anxious about potential repercussions. I am a law student and so need to register with the SRA who are very very strict - I cannot have any blot on my record. I know i am innocent, and even the info I provided had no intention to cheat or deceive as I was paying for a same price ticket. I asked around at Leeds station later on in the day when I was there and it was suggested that there should be CCTV to prove my case that I did get on at Baildon and not Leeds and skipped past ticket barriers which is what I assume I'm being accused of. I tried to get the Northern Rail man's name who was on the 12:11 Forster Sq train to Baildon who could potentially vouch for me as I sprinted onto the train seconds before it closed. I couldn't get his name but was provided with the train's ID. When I was speaking to a senior conductor in Leeds, he said I have to wait for this letter, but if found guilty of ticket offences it could be between £80 - £1000 fine and criminal record. I am innocent as I didn't go from Leeds and fail to purchase a ticket, but trying to be clever and trying to simplify matters for a train conductor has got me into hot water.
I'm sorry this is long but this is seriously worrying me. I can't tell anyone close about it due to embarrassment so this is all I have. Please help if you can.
Thank you
This is the first time I'm here and I desperately need your advice. My issue is a strange one though I am very worried. Please hear me out even if it is a little long.
Yesterday (Friday the 27th of Nov) I was catching the Forster Sq train from Baildon to Bradford Forster Sq. I just made it on to the platform at 12:11 as the train was about to leave. A man from Northern Rail just allowed me to get on as he was about to close the train. I sat in another carriage till I reached Forster Sq at 12:23. So I was travelling from Baildon to Forster Sq then intended to travel to Leeds a few hours later. I didn't have a ticket so I approached one of the conductors at the end of the platform (the station is a manned one) and asked to purchase a Leeds - Forster Sq retrun (my rationale for this is that I am coming from Baildon and I would be cut a deal and it would be the same distance and price so I am still paying for two journeys). Someone from STM security then took me to a side saying how did you come from Leeds without a ticket it's a manned station. I replied by telling her that I didn't, I came from Baildon but it'd be simpler for the conductor to cut me a Leeds - Forster Sq return as opposed to a Baildon - Bradford - Leeds in which the conductor would be confused. She said it's neither here nor there what I just said as she has to go by what I first said so took my name, address, DOB, and age and checked my drivers license to verify this; all whilst sounding accusatory. She then looked at my name and said "where are you from" and I repeated baildon and she gave me a funny look (I was extremely annoyed and frustrated, I wasn't in the mood to discuss my Arab name and heritage) and she didn't give me her name, just some STM ID number. She said Northern Rail will be in contact in 2 weeks with a letter in which I can respond.
The issue here is that I am very very anxious about potential repercussions. I am a law student and so need to register with the SRA who are very very strict - I cannot have any blot on my record. I know i am innocent, and even the info I provided had no intention to cheat or deceive as I was paying for a same price ticket. I asked around at Leeds station later on in the day when I was there and it was suggested that there should be CCTV to prove my case that I did get on at Baildon and not Leeds and skipped past ticket barriers which is what I assume I'm being accused of. I tried to get the Northern Rail man's name who was on the 12:11 Forster Sq train to Baildon who could potentially vouch for me as I sprinted onto the train seconds before it closed. I couldn't get his name but was provided with the train's ID. When I was speaking to a senior conductor in Leeds, he said I have to wait for this letter, but if found guilty of ticket offences it could be between £80 - £1000 fine and criminal record. I am innocent as I didn't go from Leeds and fail to purchase a ticket, but trying to be clever and trying to simplify matters for a train conductor has got me into hot water.
I'm sorry this is long but this is seriously worrying me. I can't tell anyone close about it due to embarrassment so this is all I have. Please help if you can.
Thank you
