I've noticed the forecast wind speeds have increased. Glasgow was showing as gusts up to 51mph, now its 65mph.The Met Office has updated the warnings for tomorrow, and the whole of the UK is now under a Yellow Warning.
View attachment 189554
Depends what the weather warnings are for. And the risk matrix. And what you are intending to do ( go canoeing wind surfing mountain climbing etx)Yellow warnings are a bit "the weather is going to be a bit rubbish" and not a really serious thing unless you're planning on going up a mountain in which case this weekend might not be a good choice. I'm not sure their introduction has been a good thing overall.
It's amber warnings where real danger starts to lie and where TOCs might want to consider withdrawing services.
It's already raining heavily in Cheshire so it's on the way!The storm is changing considering earlier this morning it was suggesting Manchester would remain dry most of the day with now heavy rain expected in the next hour.
Just checked the Met office weather warnings and the Amber area starts north of Glasgow (but does include bit of Ayrshire coast)Alterations are now being put in internally for AWC's Friday afternoon and evening services, with several services terminating/restarting at Preston. Looks like there will be a 'cut-off' period for services heading north of Preston after a certain time.
No doubt specific service alterations will be published publicly by AWC once finalised.
So the axing of services Preston-Glasgow/Edinburgh is just being over cautious as that only has a yellow be aware, not a take action.
How come they use Preston as cut. Off rather than Wigan or say Warrington?
it's not, actually. I have just cycled home through it and double-checking, the Met Office rainfall radar shows hardly anything worse than blue - 2 mm an hour with small patches of up to 4.It's already raining heavily in Cheshire so it's on the way!
Actually it is, I looked outside of a window, in Cheshire.it's not, actually. I have just cycled home through it and double-checking, the Met Office rainfall radar shows hardly anything worse than blue - 2 mm an hour with small patches of up to 4.
it absolutely is not. We are getting up to 4, a small area around Buxton has up to 8 and the scale goes up to 32 and then "above 32."Actually it is, I looked outside of a window, in Cheshire.
Just looked at the Met Office, seems its gone (mid morning) from an Amber alert to a Yellow alert now, Amber north of Glasgow and Perth. Saturday is now Amber North of Inverness and Peterhead, the rest is just a yelloe warning.They've backed down; trains will now run on Saturday. Grossly unprofessional as usual![]()
I'm sorry my mistake, it's cracking the flags at 25 degrees here....it absolutely is not. We are getting up to 4, a small area around Buxton has up to 8 and the scale goes up to 32 and then "above 32."
See https://weather.metoffice.gov.uk/ma...kv&layer=rainfall-rate×tep=1671617700000 and go back 5 or 10 minutes from the pessimistic forecast - or do you think it is fake news?
Seems to me entirely reasonable to update their plans when advice from the Met Office is updated.They've backed down; trains will now run on Saturday. Grossly unprofessional as usual![]()
Seems to me entirely reasonable to update their plans when advice from the Met Office is updated.
Another poster mentioned that rain was on it's way to Manchester, and I confirmed it was here already. I'm not interested in getting into an argument with you on what constitutes heavy rain, it is raining heavily here in my little corner of Cheshire. I know because I can see it with my eyes.
Raining where I am too (nowhere near Cheshire but feels reasonable to suggest it may have been raining in Cheshire…)Don’t worry, it’s raining heavily in my little corner of Cheshire too, so you’re not going mad![]()
Currently raining here, but not heavily yet. Probably will be later on once the the weather from Cheshire has reached us.Raining where I am too (nowhere near Cheshire but feels reasonable to suggest it may have been raining in Cheshire…)
It must just be (mis)perceptions. both my radar and @Peter Mugridge both show low rainfall all across Cheshire. I doubt that there are 2 radars covering the whole country, so it will all be based on the same data anyway.Don’t worry, it’s raining heavily in my little corner of Cheshire too, so you’re not going mad![]()

It doesn't, that's only a forecast, and usually pessimistic. And as I said, if you look at the Met office radar you see "now," a very broad brush pessimistic picture. Go back 5 or 10 minutes and you see what actually happened, and going back from thet gives an idea of what is coming your way.Edit: And the Met office agrees with me, heavy rain in the area:
![]()
Northwich (Cheshire West and Chester) weather
Northwich 7 day weather forecast including weather warnings, temperature, rain, wind, visibility, humidity and UVweather.metoffice.gov.uk
Presumably AWC have had a similar update to us at National Grid from their weather forecasters and are adjusting plans accordingly which seems very sensible.
I see Avanti's travel advice has returned to "It is advised that you do not travel North of Preston after 17:00, and all day on Saturday 4 October." on National Rail Enquiries, yet their website is far more wishy washy.
There's a surprise.They aren't however communicating it very competently.
If someone looks out of their window and says "it's raining heavily" then I think it might best to take them at their word and agree it's raining heavily. It might not be raining heavily across the entirety of Cheshire, but in their part of Cheshire it is. Whatever the rain radar might say.It doesn't, that's only a forecast, and usually pessimistic. And as I said, if you look at the Met office radar you see "now," a very broad brush pessimistic picture. Go back 5 or 10 minutes and you see what actually happened, and going back from thet gives an idea of what is coming your way.