• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopping short/not stopping at station

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephy

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2011
Messages
124
I currently have a Bedford-Luton Airport Parkway season.
The other morning I was on the 8.29 which is nonstop Bedford to St Pancras. I had purchased a Luton Airport Parkway to St Pancras ticket in addition. I got told off by the guard but he didn't PF me - said the trains is supposed to stop at LAP for it to be valid. Is that true? Incidentally he was extremely quick to threaten getting the BTP - I didn't protest at all and said I could buy a whole new ticket as I would just expense it back to work so it wasn't a problem as 'I'm not paying anyway' but he completely misunderstood and thought I was threatening not to pay!

Also, say I have the same bunch of tickets and want to travel 9pm St P to Bedford, that stops at Luton. Since Luton is 'short' of LAP and usually I can travel there on my season, would I be allowed to get this train?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stephy

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2011
Messages
124
that will be fun to explain to staff who don't know! i just get so despairing of these situations. they just think you are being awkward.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,627
Location
Birmingham
NRCoT 14. Using a combination of Tickets said:
14.1 Unless shown below, you may use a combination of two or more Tickets to make a journey provided that the train services you use call at the station(s) where you change from one Ticket to another.

14.2 If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid.

14.3 Some Tickets specifically exclude their use in conjunction with other Tickets. This will be made clear in the terms and conditions when buying such Tickets, and you cannot use such a Ticket in conjunction with another except as set out in 14.1 above.

14.4 In all cases you must comply with the specific terms and conditions of each of the Tickets you are using (for example, keeping to the valid route(s) and train services for which each Ticket is valid). It is your responsibility to check that you comply with the Conditions listed above.
Clearly valid.
 
Last edited:

stephy

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2011
Messages
124
feel a bit annoyed, he was pretty impatient with me. i may get the 8.29 tomorrow as well with the same combo of tickets so at least i am prepared.
actually just one question, does it make a difference that my season is a 50% one? i work at the airport at the moment, we get 50% off travel (no idea why) so my ticket is grey
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I currently have a Bedford-Luton Airport Parkway season.
The other morning I was on the 8.29 which is nonstop Bedford to St Pancras. I had purchased a Luton Airport Parkway to St Pancras ticket in addition. I got told off by the guard but he didn't PF me - said the trains is supposed to stop at LAP for it to be valid. Is that true?....

No.

....Also, say I have the same bunch of tickets and want to travel 9pm St P to Bedford, that stops at Luton. Since Luton is 'short' of LAP and usually I can travel there on my season, would I be allowed to get this train?

The current Conditions of Travel permit a season ticket and 'another ticket' to be used for a journey where the last valid station of the first ticket and the first valid station of the second ticket are the same station. In these circumstances the train does not need to call at that station.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,637
Location
Merseyside
The guard was incorrect. As JakeF has pointed out above your combination is clearly valid and as you are using a season ticket in conjunction with your other ticket, there is not requirement for the train to call at the station whereby you change from one ticket to another.

I am most concerned that you were told off by the guard even though you had the correct tickets, this is not good customer service, even if your combination had been invalid. I it is even more concerning that you were threatened with the British Transport Police. You are a totally innocent passenger with a valid ticket so this is not on. Please can you complain to the company that operated the train about the behavior of their employee and why they were giving out incorrect information. The train you were on was operated by East Midlands Trains.

You are perfectly valid on the tickets you currently told you travel home to Bedford on the 9pm service. Again, you hold a combination of tickets and as one of them is a season ticket, the train you travel on does not need to shot at the station at which you change from one ticket to another.

Please rest assured that you have not done anything wrong here whatsoever. It is the train company who is at fault and, as you have done nothing wrong, the train company have zero grounds for any action against you.
 

stephy

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2011
Messages
124
complaint sent.
also worth mentioning that he told me he would come back to get me to purchase a new ticket but never did. i remained sitting exactly where i was, fully awaiting him and expecting him to come back. i was most calm and unbothered as i would have claimed the new ticket back from work. so even if his ticketing knowledge was wrong (i suspected it was at the time but didnt know for sure so did not argue) his behaviour was not on. i was SO cooperative!
 

Elecman

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
3,578
Location
Lancashire
If you are going to travel tomorrow on the same service print off the section 14 of the NRCoT ( National Rail Conditions of Travel ) as highlighted above and give him it to read so he can educate himself.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
I currently have a Bedford-Luton Airport Parkway season.
The other morning I was on the 8.29 which is nonstop Bedford to St Pancras. I had purchased a Luton Airport Parkway to St Pancras ticket in addition. I got told off by the guard
The Guard was wrong to tell you off for this; you could write to the company so that the Guard can be issued some appropriate advice by their manager.
but he didn't PF me - said the trains is supposed to stop at LAP for it to be valid. Is that true?
No it isn't true.
Incidentally he was extremely quick to threaten getting the BTP
I'd report that. If he had done, he'd hopefully have been done for wasting police time.
I didn't protest at all and said I could buy a whole new ticket as I would just expense it back to work so it wasn't a problem as 'I'm not paying anyway' but he completely misunderstood and thought I was threatening not to pay!
I know the sort. You only tend to get them on the 'mainline' trains, not on the EMT branches.
Also, say I have the same bunch of tickets and want to travel 9pm St P to Bedford, that stops at Luton. Since Luton is 'short' of LAP and usually I can travel there on my season, would I be allowed to get this train?
You can take any train.

that will be fun to explain to staff who don't know! i just get so despairing of these situations. they just think you are being awkward.
They are the ones being awkward. Don't take the bait; simply say "oh, I was told by another member of staff it was permitted under Condition 14.2. Can you look that condition up please?"

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/Conditions%20of%20Travel%202016.pdf
NRCoT Condition 14.2 said:
If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first
station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid
also worth mentioning that he told me he would come back to get me to purchase a new ticket but never did. i remained sitting exactly where i was, fully awaiting him and expecting him to come back. i was most calm and unbothered as i would have claimed the new ticket back from work. so even if his ticketing knowledge was wrong (i suspected it was at the time but didnt know for sure so did not argue) his behaviour was not on. i was SO cooperative!
He was probably told of his error by a colleague. Some people don't like going back to apologise. You are not the only one to experience this sort of behaviour by an EMT 'mainline' Guard. Most are absolutely not like that, but a small minority are. It's a known problem which EMT doesn't do enough to eradicate.

All the signs are there: making up rules, being rude, threatening BTP, etc. You are not their first victim and you won't be their last. One day someone may have a panic attack and the company could be in trouble then.

https://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/Documents/Train Manager - London External v2.pdf

We pride ourselves on passenger satisfaction and this is delivered through our customer focused service.

A great opportunity has arisen for a Train Manager to come on board at London St Pancras. Providing high levels of customer service, you'll check travel documents, ensure the safety of customers and provide advice and guidance as
necessary.

Looking after our customers will be your top priority. Passionate about delivering high standards of service, you'll have a natural instinct for working well with the public in a face to face role on our trains
Maybe one day EMT will insist that all of their 'mainline' Train Managers will act in accordance with the above, but I won't hold my breath.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top